1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The dangers of T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tetra, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Tetra

I've been researching a lot on the topic of T, and I have a few questions that I'm getting mixed answers on regarding testosterone use with FtM individuals. Maybe someone who knows about this/and or has been through it, can answer some of them.

Firstly, I've heard that it rushes the balding process. Basically, you become mostly bald within 2-5 years of starting t. I've seen a lot of trans* guys who have very little hair loss, and just a slowly receding hair line.

Secondly, I've heard that t will have a lot of negative side effects on the biologically female body. This includes heightened risk of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks, thus reducing your life span.

Basically, what I'm interested in knowing, is whether or not t is suitable for extremely long-term use (like 40+ years). Are the chances of these health issues arising just precautionary, or are they a real danger? Could this lead to health issues early on in life, that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, a lot of these issues are based on genetics. If you have bald people in your family, then there is a chance that you could start to go bald once you start on T. I am unsure about the second part of your question, so I'll let somebody who knows take that one :slight_smile:

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's dangers with anything. Some of the bigger health problems can be heart and liver disease, but I guess some of those things are unavoidable. But it's important to get blood work regularly to make sure your levels are in check. Wikipedia lists more of those possible side effects. Hormone replacement therapy (female-to-male) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as becoming bald in 2-5 years, I guess it depends on the person. I doubt every person on T will lose their hair quickly like that. Perhaps there is some receding hair, but not 100% bald.

I'm not a doctor, nor am I on T so I can't say if it's suitable for long periods of time. I'm sure as long as you're being monitored, you'll probably be okay. I know of people who went off T at some point for personal, financial or health reasons though.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was under the impression you couldn't actually STOP taking hormones or it would cause you problems, so I would assume that it can't be THAT dangerous in the long term or they wouldn't do it...at least I don't think they would!

5. Claudette

Claudette Guest

All of the bigger things mentioned can be reduced by stop smoking(if you smoke) staying fit, eating right, exercise, and seeing a doctor regularly, estrogen carries similar risks for MTF individuals

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it would certainly make your body start reverting to its original appearance. Which for a trans person would be considered a problem.

7. suninthesky

It would, unless a person had already had a hysterectomy (if talking about a transguy). Then you would have no sex hormones and that would be bad.

I'd say the side effects aren't anything that cisguys don't usually have to deal with. Get regular bloodwork and it should be relatively safe.

8. Calix

Based on my family history, there's a good chance I could go bald. As far as health risks go, I don't care xD And I'm a hypochondriac >.>;;

I think if you have a good lifestyle (exercise, eat well, etc) and go for regular check-ups, everything should be fine.

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

After SRS; if you choose to do so (not quite sure how it works for FTM, but I'm assuming once the ovaries are removed) I was told my hormone prescription potency would be lowered as I would no longer have testicles to produce testosterone, so I wouldn't need as much hormones, thus lowering the chances of the negative side effects

10. Ruthven

Eh not totally back to original, cuz there's permanent effects.

Yeah this. And I don't see how long term use of T is unsafe/bad, cuz cis dudes have it in their system and they're not droppin like flies cuz of it. Like Sun said, you'll get the effects they get and also potential higher risks of some stuff(not necessarily that you will get them). T's not some sort of poison basically.