1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GP Appointment.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Miiaaaaa, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've got my first appointment with my GP about being trans and I'm not gonna lie, I'm absolutely petrified! I'm gonna go in and say "Hey, I believe I'm transgender and would like a referral to a Gender Identity Clinic." and see where it goes from there. But any advice? Is it likely to be as bad as I think it is. (I struggled to go to the doctor for a chest infection! :/)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Write that phrase on a bit of paper and hold it in your hand. If the words don't come naturally read it to yourself out loud and pretend the doctor isn't there, it gets easier after that bit.

You will be fine. Chances are your GP doesn't know the slightest thing about being trans or the procedure, so he'll most likely try and send you to somebody who does (or at least MIGHT), all they want to know if that you are sure and that it is worth sending you.

Answer their questions honestly, be brave, and you will be fine.

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was going to do that! And also write down a few answers to potential questions, just in case they ask and I go mute or something!

But that's my main worry, they'll ask a question and I can't muster up the words to answer them.

4. Just Jess

My doctor was incredibly nice and respectful. Most people I know have had the same experience. You'll do great :slight_smile:

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Really? That makes me feel a bit better!

I have no idea what my doctor's like, since I haven't seen him before. I just registered with the university medical centre and they were just like "this is your doctor" in a letter.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember, "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer to any question they ask you. It might not score you many points but it is an acceptable answer.

You know how you feel, if it's easier, pretend you're talking to us. You know how you feel inside and all you have to do is let that out.

Also, keep this in mind. If they send you away with no progression, they KNOW you will come back. Again and again and again, because it's important. They know you will waste appointments other people could be using. There is no benefit for them to send you away without at the very least referring you to the local mental health unit.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A doctor of any kind with professionalism will not judge you and simply give their opinion of your best care of any kind. Doctors are bound to do no harm, so be brave and just go in and be yourself.

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess, but surely saying "I don't know" would give the impression that I haven't thought this through. (Even though it's very much the opposite!)
    But that's a good point. And I guess if there's no progression, I can always try changing GPs. The main hospital is only a 15 minute walk away!

---------- Post added 17th Mar 2014 at 12:00 AM ----------

True, but you never know how it will turn out! I'm sure they'll be professional though.

Logically, I shouldn't really have a reason to be worried. But, that isn't stopping me from worrying though. :frowning2:

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the question.

If your doctor asks you "How long have you felt this way" and you say "I don't know" and then manage to ramble something about a vague time frame, so be it. When he asked me that question, I told him expressly that I can't remember what I thought of anything for most of my childhood and said that I guess I could vaguely say it might have been around when I was 16...

Doctors are used to people being nervous about things, especially things that could be considered 'embarrassing'. You don't know how they will react, and doctors see people who worry about that every single day.

If you need to take your time to answer, do so. If you need to tell your GP you are really nervous, DO.

10. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    "How long have you felt this way?" is one of the questions I might actually be OK with!

And I suppose they are. And telling them about being nervous is probably a good idea.

Thank you for helping me out. :slight_smile:

11. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When i told my gp she was lovely but told me she had no experience with transgender people. she asked me why i thought i was transgender and how long i felt this way, when i told her i burst into tears and she gave me a hug she was really nice about it even though she didn't understand it and she referred me on to a gender therapist :slight_smile:

12. earthlvr510

My gp was awesome too. politely curious but obviously clueless. She asked a few questions and referred me to another gp in the area that works with trans* people and that was that. Even the most judgmental jerks of doctors are fairly nice if your just informing them. Hope it goes well!

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Worry is natural but you will report back to us that things went great I bet.

14. Vince

Why does your GP have to refer you? I always get psychologists and psychiatrists on my own honestly. It's way easier that was because most doctors honestly don't know much about the local professionals. If they don't know about trans people they won't know who to refer you to.

15. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK, you have to go through the NHS system, which means being referred by a GP first, in order to transition free of charge save for clothes and surgery.

16. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, thanks for the replies everyone. My appointment is tomorrow afternoon and I'll make sure to let you know how it goes!

As for what I have prepared so far, I've wrote down my opening line, an answer for "How long have you felt like this" and potentially a "Why?". (Even though that last one is horribly difficult to put into words!! Is there anything else worth noting down/preparing?

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I had the appointment today.
    Went pretty well, turns out my Gp has had a trans patient before, so knew a bit. Showed him the bit of paper and he asked a few questions and that was it.
    Gotta get some blood tests done soon. And we'll discuss them before the end of term. (Mid-April)

18. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done!! Told you that you would get through it! :slight_smile:

/hugs

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome! I'm glad that it went well. It's also a good thing that your doctor has had experience with transgender people before. That's always a good thing :slight_smile:

20. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile:
    It was torture beforehand though, had to wait an extra hour and 10 mins in the waiting room because of some mix up. Which gave me even more time to think!!