1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can guys and non-med FtM's be friends?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, Mar 17, 2014.

1. justjade

I was wondering this because I've always heard that men and women can't be friends (referring to cis folks, usually). I kind of took that a step further and wondered if it's difficult for us to be just friends with people of the sex and/or gender we prefer.

I was also asking because, well, I often wonder if one of my guy friends is attracted to me. Yes, I'm a guy, but I'm also still female. I don't plan on ever getting on T or having surgery, although top surgery would be nice. OK, let's just say that at the moment, I'm non-med. I'd like to have top surgery, but that's not happening in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, about this guy.... We got called out for "flirting" at work. I don't see a problem with it, nor do I see what I do as flirting with him. However, he does gravitate towards me a lot. We spend time together outside of work, and we have lots of inside jokes.

Even weirder, he showed me his butt! :eek: :icon_redf

Not really his naked ass, but we were at his house one day. He said to me, "Hey, Jade, can I ask you a personal question?" I was just like, "Yeah, sure". Then he goes, "Do I have a girly ass?" To my complete shock, I look up, and there he is with his pants around his ankles waving his boxer-brief-clad ass about. :icon_redf Oh, dear lord, how awkward.

So now, when I need to get somewhere at work and he's standing in the way, I'll be like, "F., get your girly ass out of my way", and we have a good laugh about it.

I just....don't know what's going on here. It just seems like every time I become good friends with a guy, it's revealed at some point that he find me attractive. This especially happens when we initially hit it off. I don't know how to take stuff. I think that, even if I did end up with one of them down the road, whoever it would be wouldn't acknowledge me as his boyfriend, most likely. Hell, my husband still calls me his wife, which I'm fine with for the most part because I'm not ready to be fully out yet.

But anyway, is there anyone else who is or has ever been in a similar situation?

2. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone can be friends. Honestly. It can be difficult at times, yeah, but I'm good friends with both cis women and cis men without any of them finding me attractive! :grin: *re-gathers self-esteem* But anyway, enough of me goofing around. Maybe they do find you attractive, but by no means does that mean you can't be friends. Just chill. Carry on being a friend and hopefully it'll all work out.

3. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, that's how most of my male friendships always end up. It's really frustrating, because I'm just like, "I just want to play video games and joke around." But usually if they say something, I tell them I just see them as a friend and depending on them, we either stay friends or we don't. They end up getting over the crush thing.

I guess if you trusted the guy, you could just straight up tell them, "Hey, I'm a guy. I've just got a female exterior." And if you ever ended up with one of them, if you're completely honest with them and let them know your gender beforehand, they shouldn't have a problem referring to you as their boyfriend. I mean, if they're willing to be with you and accept you as who you are, then they should be able to respect the fact that you're a guy and treat you as such.

That's just my two cents.

4. Emulator

In my opinion anyone can be friends, no matter who (or what) they are. Have you ever heard of a pet rock friend? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, if you date in the future, it's best to let the other person know about your gender rather than they treat you how you'd prefer not to be treated, and they'll probably also be shocked to find out when you've been together for a while.
    My relationships with friends...do not have a noticeable change in outcome whether the other person is a male or a female. I don't know which my gender is closer to, but yeah, I get mistaken for flirting sometimes because I do treat some things like a joke. I'll just say I'm not flirting, and it's left like that.

5. earthlvr510

I've been there too :/. I'm totally pre everything and my best friend at college is a cis male. It didn't take long before I could tell he was into me, though he was under the impression I was a lesbian. He even asked me once, completely seriously, if I could ever consider being with a guy. I said never have and never will, which isn't true but discussion for another time :slight_smile:. Anyways, we're really close friends we drive halfway across the country to school together, hangout all the time, there's drunk roughhousing, weekend rock climbing trips, we've even gone streaking together. Even though I'm pretty sure he knows that nothing is going to happen, at least not likely to happen, it's hard to tell to tell what's going on in his head. Anyways, your married so your friend must know that anything beyond friends is off limits (assuming your monogamous) but from some experience with some frank conversations with my friend that after a while I was just one of the guys to him. It also got easier once I told him I'm trans. Anyways, it is absolutely possible for trans* and cigs guys to be friends but honesty and being conscious of boundaries is part of it! at least for me. Not being out yet makes it a bit tricky but if he understands your just friends it should be fine.

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I used to have a pet rock friend when I was younger, I actually had a whole collection at one point. Then my mom through them out. :lol:

7. Techno Kid

I don't see why not, but most people don't think a "bio female" and a "bio male" can be friends for some reason. :/

And yeah I think he might like you...

8. justjade

Yeesh. :confused:

As completely attractive as he is, and as much as I find him completely awesome, I don't know. I mean, I don't think he sees me that way since I'm out as trans to him, but....this whole situation reminds me of how the affairs I had while I was married to my ex-husband started. I mean, it seems like every time I become friends with a guy, we get to know each other, we start hanging out outside of work, we bond....we start sleeping together. It just kind of happens. It sucks because part of me is curious, but the other half is more cautious.

9. Techno Kid

Aww I'm sorry. :frowning2:
    I thought you had a bf now? Or am thinking of someone else on here (not that you can't be with two boys at once, not judging)?

Would you like to get more involved with this friend, if he does see you as a guy? Or would you rather just be two dudes hanging out?

10. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone can be friends. :slight_smile:

11. justjade

I'm actually married. I mean, it could be fun to be more, but just for right now, I think I'm content with us just being friends. I dunno. I'm really confused. I mean, yeah, we could have some more-than-friends type of fun, I'm sure, but I know all too well from past experience that doing so can ruin a friendship fast as it did the last time it happened. I just kind of want to take my time. I want to really, really get to know him. Just jumping into stuff is a mistake I hope to never make again.

12. Techno Kid

Congrats on being married!! :icon_bigg
    Yeah take your time to figure things out. :slight_smile:

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't that always the way?

All of my relationships seem to follow this pattern, which is frustrating sometimes. Thankfully, though, while all of my relationships seem to follow this pattern, the initial beginnings of the pattern do not necessarily always spark a relationship. I have several cis-male friends, one of whom I did date but didn't sleep with (I touched his junk once or twice but that was it). It's nice to have guys consider me one of the guys. It's definitely possible.

14. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

For what it's worth, my wife now considers me "the best girlfriend EVER!" had a girl friend at work invite me to get my nails done. My wife likes me being me, and the people (who matter) at work acknowledge me as, well, not really a guy, even with the exterior. I'm not really wild about being called "sir" whenever I go somewhere, especially while dressed considerably less "manly," but whatever. My kids call me "Daddy" but my wife (partner) calls me "Partner." I'd say anything is possible. That's my 2 cents ...

15. sharkpool

I firmly believe that a boy And a girl cannot be friends. There will always be romantic and/or sexual feelings involved.

16. Ruthven

Riiight. :rolle: What makes you think that?

and Jade and other guys who are trans are guys, hope you're not implyin' otherwise.

17. sharkpool

I didn't imply otherwise. I was just answering to the OP's first answer.

I think what I sai because of personal experience and life in general. ALso, most people (girls in the majority) who don't agree with me say "I have a lot of friends who are boys and see them strictly as friends. However, they have had crushes on me a few times.

I'm mainly referring to ciswomen and cismen

18. Ruthven

Oh okay. Sorry bout that. :slight_smile:

Yeah but I really don't think that always true, you know? Cuz that may be your experience and what you've noted, but there are gonna be guys and girls (whether they're cis or trans)who are just friends and both see each other that way. Like, to say they can't be friends and there's always gonna be romantic/sexual feelings is a gross generalisation.

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I have female friends and we do perfectly fine. :wink: It works so long as you don't see members of the opposite sex as 100% willing potential bed mates.

20. Sarcastic Luck

I call so much bullshit on this.

A gay man and a lesbian can be friends.

A gay man and a straight woman can be friends

A straight man and a lesbian can be friends.

That's not even including the asexuals.

Jade, men and non-op transmen can be friends. My best friend is a guy. Yeah, it's an online friendship, but he's essentially the big brother I never had. His favorite thing to do is buy me video games that we can co-op on lol.