1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes and work placements

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Techno Kid, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

Sorry I start so many threads... people probably get annoyed by me, but I feel like I need some help.

Next week I will be starting a placement and I have problems with clothing.
    When I went to the interview I asked if I could wear colour because I hated what I had on for the interview (lots of dark colours.. drab and no painted nails) and she said I could. I was talking with my mom this morning and she basicly said that I should not stand out by dressing "flamboyantly" because my skills are not that impressive and I need to just get through the placement so I can get a good reference.

Dark colours make me feel ugly, manly, and depressed. :tears:

2. apostrophied

Idk, but I don't think colors will necessarily make you look "flamboyant." A light blue or light pink oxford shirt is not flamboyant, yet it's not drab either. Same with pants, beige vs. black.

I don't know what kind of work placement you're doing, but I'm sure there's a middle ground between white shirt/black pants and flowery shirt/pink and purple striped pants. You just have to look around and you'll surely find something nice to wear. :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh I hear you on that. Part of why I hate male fashion. I have to wear the same crap with a shirt and tie usually white or blue and.. just yea.

Then again if it is a mandatory uniform you're out of options.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If the person interviewing you said that it would be fine, then I think that you are good. If the place that you are doing your placement has an HR person, then I would talk to them if you think that there are going to be any problems. :slight_smile:

5. Techno Kid

There is no mandatory uniform and I'm told most people there dress fairly casual since the public does not come into the office very often.

Is there a way I can convince my mom to let me wear and present as more of what I want?
    I think she thinks I am just being entitled of something.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In that case it's simply a matter of fashion and my family has always questioned my fashion choices so I'm sorry I can't help.:tears:

7. Techno Kid

Thanks anyway Kasey! (*hug*)