1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how did you choose your middle name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by laurenc, Mar 18, 2014.

1. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I need some help choosing a middle name for myself any tips or advice would be greatly appericated .

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

You mean for your female name? Oh, I forgot about middle names. They're a thing. Shoot. I never even realized that the middle name I have now would totally clash with the whole male theme.

3. laurenc

laurenc Guest

yes. I do not think my middle name given at birth (its a male name) would work with my chosen name

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pick something you like?

5. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I have no clue what names I like . I had some on sugest paige but I am not sure if i'd use paige for my middle name

6. Sarcastic Luck

Mine's the male version of my middle name.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Still deciding. I was thinking of taking my Dad's middle name in honor of him.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have 2 middle names.

My mum was really upset that I was changing my birth name. She claimed she spent ages thinking of it and it had a lot of meaning (Dad says he vaguely remembers saying it sounded OK...), so I asked her to choose one for me.

She picked Naomi which is what I would have been called if I had been born with the right bits!

Then I picked 'Cosette' for myself, for deeply personal reasons that I can tell you on request but I won't be typing for now :slight_smile:

9. Ravi-VIXX777

I was born with mine. It's Alexander, from Alexander the Great. I heard that he could be gay, which makes it even more awesome!

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I was given.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just took my former first name, and made it masculine. (So, my former first name was Ashley, and I'm changing my middle name to Ashton.)

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Technically have two middle names, in which I masculinised my former and also took on another for personal reasons.

13. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I dunno, you could Google "female names". And look through a list. I think I'm gonna do that for male names.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, he died back in November but even before then, I was thinking about using the name anyway. It'd leave me with some unfortunate initials (BJ anyone?) but it works for me.

My birth middle name was for my great grandmother. So I'm considering just masculinizing it (Anne to Anders?)

Ultimately though, what I really wanted was to leave the middle name open to my parents so they'd feel they weren't being left out but since my mother hasn't come around and it's not likely that'll happen any time soon...

15. katwat

When we were trying to pick a name for our daughter, hubby and I each made a list of all the female names we could think of and then crossed out the ones we did not like. We switched lists and each marked out the names we did not like on the other's list. We got down to a much much shorter lists and then found all the ones that were on both lists or ones we each liked from the other person's list. Once we had those we then each picked our favorites from the much smaller list. We wound up with about a dozen names and started re-arranging them to see which ones would work paired up with other the other names. When we had a set of six names that could pretty well be mixed and matched we then tried each name set with our last name to find the best fit. We wound up with a lucky coincidence of our daughter's initials matching my mother-in-law's initials so we could feed her ego a bit without having to use her name :slight_smile:

16. justjade

Well, I'll tell you how I picked mine, if that helps. I wanted to keep my initials the same, though. You don't have to if you don't want to. My middle name starts with an N, so I was thinking Nikolai because my parents gave me the middle name Nicole, which I fucking hate by the way. I was mulling it over one day, and it just came to me.

See, I have this tattoo on the inside of my left elbow that says "PDC", which stands for People Don't Care. Yes, it sounds odd, but hear me out. When I was an insurance agent (the whole two weeks or so of it), my trainer, who was also a psychology student, helped me cope with my social anxiety by telling me that people don't care, that I'm probably never going to see them again, and that they're not going to remember me for long. I didn't take it to heart immediately, but those words have stuck with me and been a guiding light ever since. That's why I got my tattoo. And that trainer? His name is....

Nathan. And that's how I chose my middle name. :slight_smile:

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Atm, I don't have one. Well, don't have a female one. I think I'll wait until I come out to my mum and see what happens, if she's remotely OK with it all, I'll let her pick it. I mean, I feel bad that I'm getting rid of the names she picked for me. :frowning2:

18. hardwiredheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    ww, you all have a lot of good ideas. my middle name's Rebecca, and although I'd love to find a male alternative I don't think there is one :/

19. Sasha Braus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My dad accidentally gave me two, haha. He didn't know what to write as my middle name, so he just wrote his and my grandpa's name and called it a day. It still gives me grief..

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2014 at 06:17 PM ----------

How about Beck?

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been all over the place with mine for years. Currently, mine is homage to an actor who got me through a lot of troubles.