1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this happen to anyone?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drwinchester, Mar 18, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So today, my mom suggested that since I have a rather unfortunate case of acne at the moment, I consider looking into buying some concealer.

Now, this was over Facebook so obviously she had no idea of how I'd actually taken it. But I completely flipped out. Still flipping out at the moment, actually. Just the idea of having to wear make up again, which not having to wear anymore was one of the best feelings ever, makes me feel like complete shit.

Any mere suggestion of having to adopt more feminine behaviors/items gets me really fucking anxious. If I hadn't been feeling so hot to begin with, I feel it would've erupted into a full on panic attack.

Am I overreacting or is this just a normal part of dysphoria?

2. laurenc

laurenc Guest

sounds pretty normal to me. you are like most guys,you do not like wearing make up and do not like others trying to make you wear some so you are the same as any other guy who feels the same way.

3. ZombieEater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very few guys I know would wear foundation to cover up acne, so I think you're response (especially considering the dysphoria that wearing makeup would cause for you) isn't atypical at all.

4. Techno Kid

^ This

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I'd flip out too. Dang, make-up is literally a slap in the face, not too mention it can make you break out more.

I think any guy would be taken aback by the suggestion of make-up.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thanks. Good to hear it's not abnormal. Honestly I'm kind of jealous of the guys able to wear make-up and nail polish without getting dysphoric. I don't really have a legitimate feminine side. Which I guess isn't a bad thing.

But yeah. My mom's been rather, shall we say, disappointed I gave up make-up and eyebrow plucking.

7. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Recently I was going to wear some eye liner, but I looked at it and started getting anxiety, so you're not alone.

That being said, I know quite a few cismen who wear makeup/eye liner. So it really depends on the person. In your case though, makeup makes you dysphoric so it's normal for you to act like that when someone suggests you wear it. I would probably react the same way if someone told me I should wear makeup.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what others have said. Very few men wear makeup, so I think that reaction is normal.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I'm kind of in your boat.

I say "kind of" when I talk about acne. I have some terrible acne and have had it for years. It's way diminished now, but still prevalent.

If I didn't have said acne, I actually might consider doing makeup. But I know exactly what that would do to your pores, which is the complete opposite of what you'd be shooting for. I've been washing my face and body with Oxy along with Neutrogena Naturals. That stuff seems to really do the trick.

10. ThePhoenix

I pretty much never wear makeup myself and I don't know a single guy who wouldn't have a similar reaction.

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the nature of the beast named dysphoria. It might seem insignificant to your mom, but the pain is valid. As difficult as it is, I try to step back and think before and if I respond to what angers me. You'd be surprised about the things I've flipped over. Then again I nearly wanted to hold a party when my feet were big enough for my fave brand of shoes. It's amusing to be happy over such trivial things.

I don't know many guys that wear makeup, or maybe I don't notice! I used to wear eyeliner and that's the extent of my makeup expertise. The only thing that made me dysphoric about it was my mom saying she's pleased I'm taking an interest in my appearance. She even offered to apply it. I told her thanks, but no thanks, I'm an adult. It's difficult to pull off. Who knows.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, since I came out, it's not all uncommon for her to say/recommend shit like this. Hell, really the only time it feels like she's been proud of me was when I wouldn't leave the house without a face full of (badly applied) make-up and was at my thinnest (which I achieved by sometimes eating less than a thousand calories per day).

But yeah. So I feel a bit less abnormal, thanks.

I don't miss make-up. Saves me a good fifteen minutes a day and all without going through the day with a face I want to claw off. :wink:

I guess a big thing of mine's trying not to look too obviously offended when my mom says shit like this or, trying to be nice, offers clothes advice. Because it really hasn't come her way that I'd prefer to look like, well, a guy...

13. Nick07

Maybe you could see a dermatologist who would treat the problem insteaf of covering it with make up.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Getting a good cleanser at the very least. Yeah, the make up thing seems counterproductive. But my mom always had me put it on if my acne was bad enough and occasion was semi-important enough.

#14 drwinchester, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  15. Nick07

I don't think it is her way to push you into being a girl.

It is her way how to deal with it. After applying the makeup the problem is partly solved. Actually....

There are two problems. The acne and the fact that other people can see it. Your mother decided to solve the latter one. Then... there are two different problems. You being trans and other people seeing it. And what is your mother doing? See?

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well yeah. True. But I suppose it goes beyond that. Pushing feminine outfits on me. Berating how pretty I used to look with a little bit of make up. All of which she's doing loads more now than I'm 'out' of the closet.

17. Nick07

She is "covering" you with girls' clothes to hide the problem.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. Pretty much.

19. anonym

anonym Guest

I find this too. I wish my mum wouldn't go on about how pretty I used to look with make up and girls clothes. It gives me really bad dysphoria and makes me feel so guilty :frowning2:

20. Niko

Oh, make-up is very triggering. I remember having to wear eyeliner for special occasions and I just felt so dirty.
    As for cover-up, I only use it when I really need to. I don't put it all over my face just the area that needs it; and when there's no need for it I don't do it at all.

I'm sorry your mom is pushing you with this so much. That has got to be really annoying and tiring.