1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find a trans-friendly hair dresser?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, Mar 19, 2014.

1. justjade

I'm probably going to get my hair cut today, nothing fancy, just clipped with a 1/2 guard around the sides and faded into the top. It's a pretty un-fussy, conservative men's hair cut. Anyway, I normally go to a barber, but I think I need a change. But then again, when I go to a female hair dresser, she always leaves these pixie-esque points in front of my ears. It comes out looking really feminine, which is obviously not what I'm going for. Well, it's obvious to me, anyway. I kind of want to find a hair dresser that's trans-friendly so I can just say, "Hey, I'm trying to pass as male. Can you help me out?"

Unfortunately, I live in a pretty conservative area, so if I tell a hair dresser I'm transgendered, I'll pretty likely have to explain what that even means. I don't pass particularly well, so going in and saying I'm a guy probably wouldn't fly. I'm not sure what to do. I mean, I would buzz my hair myself, but that actually makes me look more feminine because A) I'm not David Beckham, and B) it basically puts my round-ish face and its somewhat effeminate features on display.

I used to have a mohawk, but I think that's a little too fussy for me. It looks a little too punk, and even though my personal style does somewhat gravitate towards that end of the spectrum, I don't want to look too much like a punk kid. I already have tattoos on my arms and wear quirky, usually black or dark grey graphic tees and occasionally, skinny jeans. The shoes I normally wear outside of work are Converse and kind of beat up.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips? I want to live honestly and be who I am. Maybe I'm too eager to be out and proud without adequately weighing the consequences, but I have to do something. :help:

2. Tetra

I got my hair cut the other day, and it's great. I'm not officially "out" to anyone about my identity, so I just asked for my hair to be "cut as short as possible without it being entirely bald". She gave me I guess what would be referred to as a "pixie" cut, but it's pretty squared off at my ears, and straight in the back, so it's pretty much a guy's cut.

Maybe you could just ask for the same thing? Say that you hate having it in your face, and want it cut short, except squared off around the ears? Then when it grows out, it'll be more masculine-looking anyways.

3. justjade

I considered that. I think that could work. I'm kind of in the habit of coming out to people if they give off a good vibe or whatever.... I dunno. I really don't like having hair around my ears, so I guess I wouldn't be lying....

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

You are searching for me, then! :grin: Aahah if I lived in West Virginia, I would cut your hair without problems :slight_smile:

5. Ruthven

That's why you don't take their shit if you they give you any on being a guy and be like assertive and firm. and if they still won't take you seriously it's just like "bye bitch I'll take my business elsewhere."

Well do your clippers have guards? Cuz you said you wanted to have your hair as 1/2 inch on the sides and faded into the top so you should be able to give yourself that look. But if they don't have guards then....

6. apostrophied

Wouldn't a gay hairdresser be able to help you without judging? Goodness knows there is no shortage of those. :wink:

7. justjade

My clippers do have guards, but it's hard for me to get it right. I can't even get an even buzz all over my head. I have a terrible lazy eye, and on top of that, I've never been good at sculpting, which I imagine isn't too far off from cutting hair.

I dunno. I got my hair cut today, and it was OK. She got it really good and short, which is good....

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 08:06 PM ----------

That is very sweet. :slight_smile:

It would be really awesome if I could call upon you to cut my hair.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 08:07 PM ----------

You know, I wish I knew where to find those. :confused:

8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I do custom cuts. Bring in a picture of a male haircut, and say you want it as masculine as the picture. Tip them well, and you have a hair dresser in your pocket who knows what you want.

The fear is for these hair dressers that you want the "Emma Watson" short hair effect where it still manages to make you look "pretty". So cutting it "Butch" may give them a headache if you complain.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with taking a picture with you. That has helped me out a ton. I usually just end up going to great clips or someplace like that, since they cut both men's and women's hair.

10. apostrophied

I've always been under the impression that any male who advertises himself as a "hairdresser" (not "barber") has an at least 80% chance of being gay lol. I don't recall seeing one that wasn't...

I think the picture idea is good.

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you know any other trans people?
    They might be able to find you someone.

12. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others, take a picture with you.

When I cut my hair off, I just told her to go with a faux hawk kind of style, showed her a couple of pictures. Pointed at a picture of guy's haircut and told her I wanted the sides as short as his. She had no problem, besides being flustered that I wanted to cut all of my hair off. Other than that, she seemed fine. So, I say, picture is your best bet. No room for error. Find a picture of what you want, say "I want it exactly like that". If they say something like "Are you sure you want it like that guy's?", just be firm. "Yeah, 100% sure". No room for argument.

13. Vince

I go to a male hair dresser. Not a barber... But a genuine male hair dresser. It's worth the hunt because my hair is fantastic all the time. I just show him a picture and he won't try to femme it up. Right now I have an undercut and it's damn good without looking girly. Men know how to cut men's hair and if you say you like the masculine look for reassurance I'm sure he won't question it.