1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition and Style Choices

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, Mar 19, 2014.

1. justjade

So! I want to know how transitioning has affected everyone's personal style! Here's my story:

When I was a girl, I used to wear some feminine, bohemian-looking things, but my style was kind of all over the place. It was tomboyish but also a bit flashy at times. I liked to do really crazy things, like wearing bright colors together that clashed but still looked good together. I loved crazy shoes and dresses.

But then, when I started transitioning, I picked out a lot of preppy things, like gingham shirts and sweater vests, khakis, boat shoes, neck ties, all that. I still love all those things, but now it's a little different. I'm more "punk" now, I guess. I like graphic tees, Converse shoes (mainly because they're unisex and fairly easy to find in my size), slim jeans, moderately chunky bracelets, and plaid flannel shirts. I wear a lot of black, grey, and olive green with dark denim. I like hoods and/or epaulettes on my jackets, and even though they make me look like I'm about to participate in a swim meet, I like beanies.

What about you all? How has transitioning changed or not changed your personal style choices? :grin:

2. anonym

anonym Guest

lol this is funny :grin: I think I'm finding that as a guy style isn't important to me. I thought it would be because it was when I was a girl but maybe that was more about wanting to fit in. I find not having any kind of style quite liberating. I haven't bought many men's clothes yet but the few things I have are just zip through hoodies and navy chinos. I will probably wear them with a plain t-shirt and trainers. I don't think graphic tees are really me and I could never picture myself in a shirt and tie. The whole suit thing just doesn't feel right for me lol.

As a guy I don't see my style changing all that much. As I have been transitioning mentally, I have gone through different stages I suppose but didn't have the money or the courage to go out and buy the stuff. I think I am probably just a practical guy who will wear what is functional and prefers scruffy casual, not smart or preppy

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Jade, are you talking about the non-med transition (only about clothes) or also about the hormonal transition?

#3 FireSmoke, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still working on this as well. As a guy, I'm pretty much always in a polo shirt and khakis or cargo pants (or equivalent shorts), even have a couple pairs of convertable cargo pants. I have a ton of dress shirts and ties from when I worked in a courtroom and wore one every day.

I'm still somewhat afraid of getting women's clothes, probably because I'm not out. What I do have is basically just simple intimates and athletic wear (compression pants and shirts, a few t-shirts, and some cycling shorts). When I've wandered into the women's clothing section I tend to end up completely confused by the sizing.

5. justjade

Either, really. I'm not ruling out bodily changes being linked to hormone therapy and/or surgery affecting personal style. But for me, I'm non-med, so it's all been mental for me.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 12:29 PM ----------

Also, I went through a douchebag phase earlier in my transition when I wanted to wear super-baggy shorts with my ass hanging out and those t-shirts that have the sleeves cut off and are slit down the sides.

6. Tetra

Well, for me, I've always worn male clothes anyways, even when I was like 5-6. It's just what I gravitated towards, and still feel comfortable wearing. I feel like if I wear anything feminine then I'm just not as comfortable. Thus, I have a large collection of jeans/cords and video games/movie-reference tee shirts. I also have a LOT of hoodies. I've just always worn it (even before I knew transitioning was a thing). So I don't really think I'd need to change anything if I do decide to transition. My wardrobe is more masculine than most of the cis-guys I know anyways, haha.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Ah okay. I just wondered that because I'm non-med too :slight_smile:

About my style? Uhm well I've never dressed like a girl but always in a unisex manner. Now I'm trying to find my style. I adore being sports but stylish at the same time. I am addict with male boots (Timberland! :icon_bigg) and with tuxedos (eheh I'm dandy, what can I do? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

#7 FireSmoke, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  8. Niko

Presenting as female...I was more emo. :lol: I wore skinny jeans, tight fitting shirts..black, black and more black. At one point I went through a phase where I even would paint my nails black. Yeeeah....

Now being out and presenting male, I'm more artsy. I still wear skinny jeans (but mens), lose shirts that are colored now, but only dark colors. Jackets/Sweatshirts that have cool zippers on them, sometimes a scarf. Pretty much anything that I find appealing from the mens section.

#8 Niko, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, presenting as female I didn't really have a specific style. Just t-shirts and jeans, and sometimes if I followed my mother's advice I looked like a tired, forty year old office temp.

Now, I guess I still don't have a style beyond the first two items I picked up at the thrift store. But it's a lot of checkered/flannel shirts over t's, the occasional hat, decent jacket, and jeans. Right now, I'm wearing a blue button down with a Guess leather jacket.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a teenage "girl" (I had already acknowledged I was nonbinary, but still more or less enjoyed presenting in the feminine more frequently than the masculine), I was a goth. I matched my blacks with more blacks, usually wore black dresses or black skirts with black tops. I alternated big stompy black boots and and strappy maryjanes, and I adored striped tights (especially thick ones because I hated shaving/was too depressed to bother with it/thought it was a waste of time anyway).

Now it's complicated, because I still enjoy the aesthetic, but I don't really dress the part anymore - it's harder to find clothes that a) fit, b) are interesting, and c) pull together right. I still tend to dress primarily in black and grey, but my approach right now is pretty much just to wear whatever happens to fit and look alright.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

When I was presenting as female, I practically had the same style that I have now, except more band shirts and oversized hoodies. I never really dressed all too femininely, as tight clothing/anything that was plastered as 'female' always seemed uncomfortable. So I never really went out of my way to not dress like a 'hipster,' which is, well, the same now. :lol:

Since transitioning, I'll say I've been way more comfortable with dressing more 'femininely.' No lie, I love wearing my girlfriend's jackets sometimes, and I've never ditched skinny jeans. I've worn vans and converse since I was in middle school, and now I feel comfortable to even buy a bright pink pair, just need to take the time to find them... But I typically wear a lot of flannel/plaid shirts, collared shirts and bowties, v-necks and hoodies. If I could get away with still passing for male whilst wearing a feminine hoodie or even a skirt, I'd be up for it.

12. laurenc

laurenc Guest

even though I am stuck living as a guy for awhile my style is the same. as a boy I wear t shirts ,jeans and carpenter shorts and when I transition I will continue to do so. ever since I started to accept myself as female I have started to see that I am a masculine girl (who just happens to be a trans girl) but I know I would like to have longer hair,I used to hate having short hair in boy mode and I hated having my bangs cut

13. Calix

As a girl I mostly wore tomboyish clothes with some punk/goth thrown in. Now as a guy I like shirts, plain jeans and a lot of simple goth tops. So in a sense my clothes haven't changed much. I never wore skinny jeans as a girl, and definitely won't try as a guy. I still have my huge love of wearing random hoodies :slight_smile:

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, when I started to present male, I actually put effort and care about what I look like. I've managed to learn about style, which is something that I never understood when I was presenting female.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, it's kind of the same thing with me. I'm least moving past throwing on one "cute" t-shirt and being done for the day. Lot of it's based in practicality- I can't just throw on a t-shirt and pass as male. Bare minimum, I'm layering a shirt over it so I can box out my frame.

I've been trying to figure out what looks good together and what people are wearing. And I think, considering I'm broke, I've actually come pretty close to managing something that works.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, that sounds about the same as me. I have to wear an undershirt with my t-shirts, or otherwise, I do not come close to passing at all. Plus, they are more comfortable. I feel like I can more more without my binder showing. Plus, it helps hide the fact that I have somewhat of a butt.

17. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I was a pretty sloppy guy, I wore the same pair of boots till the soles came off or I out grew them, I had like 3 pairs of jeans, and just pocket tees, when I would get home, I would put on a pair of house shirts and just a tank.

But as a woman I have uh... alot of stuff lol mostly skirts and dresses... But I have since found a new job that requires me to wear corporate professional attire, so I am pretty happy about that

18. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think I've worn trousers once since I went full time. I threw them all out and replaced them with lovely skirts :3

My 'style' is basically the same as it was, but I am finding I want to replace a lot of my old graphic tees with tunic tops and things that go in at the waist to show off my non-existent chest!

Oh and from out of nowhere all of a sudden I want to have opportunities to dress up, like formal wear! I swore blind I would never ever wear a suit (I hate them for moral reasons), but apparently I really want to wear nice dresses and look good!

19. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Nothing wrong with nice dresses =D those are my favorite

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are so many pretty ones I want, but I can't afford them.

The strangest thing is that I still seem to consider anything that isn't a graphic-tee and an over-shirt to be 'dressing up', which is really annoying and a little upsetting. I see all these lovely tops and things and think I would love to wear them, and I have a couple and they just sit there because I think I need to have a reason to 'dress up'.

Thinking of just getting rid of my tees and replacing them with nice clothes!