1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vocal training/exercise for non-binary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jinkies, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've been wondering for awhile, are there tried and true methods of making your voice more androgynous? I've been kind of staving off the changes my voice wants to make by singing certain songs (mostly things by Rush like Red Barchetta, but some other favorites I've also done like a good amount of Defying Gravity and Let it Go) and as someone who's done male voice work, it's definitely a hard choice to make because there are a lot of character voices I may not be able to do anymore if I do this. However, I've been talking to a friend today on the topic of being misgendered, and it reminded me of how little I am misgendered and people usually go for "sir". Why would I want to be misgendered, you ask? Well, in my case, it would mean that I at least look androgynous enough for it. I hope that with a bit more voice training, that it would be the case more often.

If you know any methods or can post them, I'm all for seeing them ^^