1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for people who are Trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Radioactive Bi, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me asking this, as I'm not Trans myself, but I have been curious about it and am always open to try an understand the experiences of people different to me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if as a Trans person, do you ever have problems in entering areas designated for specific genders. For example mens/women's toilets or changing rooms etc. Which one do you go in and have you ever had issues or confrontation over it? How did you deal with it?

Any answers are much appreciated, as I am keen to get an insight into any challenges your group faces and how they are overcome.

Thanks guys,

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had anyone say anything in a bathroom before, but I would feel weird about a changing room I guess...but then I don't like communal changing rooms anyway!

3. HGabs

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been given some pretty foul stares when entering and leaving the Women's bathroom, but in saying that I've been given equally as sharp looks when entering/leaving the Men's, albeit in Female mode.

As for comments and remarks, it's water off a ducks back now. Once you've heard 10 or so comments, you've literally heard IT ALL. It's a shame, there's no creativity out there amongst these knuckle-draggers! :wink:

4. Emulator

I never liked gender-designated areas.

That said, I try to avoid being seen whenever I do. I can't tell which gender I should act as partly because I haven't transitioned (yet), but it feels awkward to use either gender-designated area.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just avoid gender designated areas. I don't know which one I'm supposed to use. Sometimes I go in the womens because I don't pass often, but I've startled the women in there, so I guess I'm not womanly enough to use the women's and not manly enough to use the men's.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I used to avoid them like the plague and still do if I'm presenting female. Bathrooms, changing rooms. All that jazz. Just made me uncomfortable.

Still avoiding locker rooms/showers but I'm finding that if I just suck it up and use the men's room or whatever, it's really not that big of a deal. Really, the key to using a men's room is acting like dwaddling and conversation leads a guy to face a penis guillotine. You just go in, find a stall, get it done, and you're out. I've gotten some stares and shrugs (at least when I'm not passing) but I have yet to have another guy say anything. I don't use women's when I'm presenting male so if I get crap for it? I have no idea and no intention of finding out.

#6 drwinchester, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  7. Tetra

The rule for me is just to avoid bathrooms out in public all-together. I once went into a female bathroom, because my siblings were with me and would surely say something like "Hey! That's the guy's bathroom!". So, I went into the women's and I got SO MANY stares. I stopped using washrooms on campus about a years ago, so now I either hold it in, or try to go to a gender-neutral washroom.

8. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I have never ever been outside a house as myself so now I mostly just avoid bathrooms in public...... A lot of people say that I can pass as a cis girl but I have never ever really got to test that in public...... I just tend to hide from bathrooms

9. Just Jess

I usually just go at gas stations and in "family" rooms like the one in the back of a wal-mart. It's not just the looks from other people, being the only girl peeing in the boy's bathroom just sucks in and of itself.

When I have to pick a bathroom it'll usually be based on how I'm presenting. And I've learned that by and large most people are too concerned with themselves to look at you too closely. In the mens I keep my pants around my knees so my undies don't show to someone checking to see if the stall is occupied and just go. If I'm in the women's I almost always have a few friends with me.

I do all my exercising at home.

Hoping to change all that when I'm full time but that's the way it is now.

10. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still early enough on in transitioning that it hasn't been an issue yet. My binder just came in the mail yesterday so I guess I'll see on Tuesday if comments are made next time I use the women's restroom on campus.

Thus far I haven't been passing enough for anyone to comment. If it becomes an issue I'll have to start keeping an eye out for unisex restrooms instead.

11. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I only pass half of the time which is very awkward. i will only use bathrooms if im desperate the one i use depends if its empty or how many people are in there but sometimes if both have people in them then i will either wait till everyone leaves or use the female bathroom. Last time i used a public bathroom was a few weeks ago at a McDonalds, i used the women's room and some poor old woman nearly had a heart attack when i walked in. the men's room had two guys in it so the women's room seemed the safer option because they are less likely to confront you.

12. DhammaGamer

I use the women's locker room at my gym almost every day but I never go down past my shorts and bra. After I get my bottom surgery it won't be an issue anymore, but or now I'd rather avoid being clocked by the other girls. As for everything else, I've never had any issues, luckily. Passing privilege.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm fairly androgynous so I tend to refrain from entering "gendered areas" and absolutely loathe using either bathroom (if there isn't a unisex/handicapped one around). Fortunately, my campus has gender-neutral bathrooms, so that's practically a lifesaver. As for everything else, if I must, I'll just quickly go into the men's room, do what I need to do, and leave.

As for the gym/changing clothing, I just wait until I can go back to my dorm room to change rather than use the men's locker room. I'd probably be clocked pretty hard or humiliated at the very least if I happened to change in there.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of the time, I will try to use a gender neutral bathroom. If I cannot find one of those, then I use the men's bathroom. I sometimes will go in the women's bathrooms, but not much anymore.

15. Claudette

Claudette Guest

It took me a while before I mustered the courage to use a female bathroom in public (In my old job there were gender specific bathrooms made for one person, and the employees didn't care so I would use the female ones). However now I use female bathrooms all the time, I get no looks or anything. I don't really do the whole gym thing, so I never tried it, but I doubt I would pass since I use breastforms still as my natural ones are still kinda small

16. Straw_berry

I hate using gender specific places, whether it's a restroom or a dressing room it just feels...uncomfortable being in the men's Nyu~

17. zahhhaks

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use the men's all the time except at school; school is pretty bad right now because I have a mix of people I pass to and people I knew pre transition who recognize me, so I usually just try and go to the nurse. I don't really "do" locker rooms; I just go to a place and leave it dressed the same the whole time. Changing rooms at stores are pretty easy and I just use the men's there as well.

18. Yosia

I never dressed girl in public before but i still like to use gender neutral places if i can ^.^

19. Niko

I try to avoid women's public everything ( bathroom, changing room etc.) unless I absolutely HAVE to. Even then I go in and sometimes I wait to make sure there isn't anyone else in the room before leaving. I once scared a woman by walking in and she kind of jumped back and just stared at me. With that being said, I also don't go in the men's. I don't feel like I pass enough to do that. So I just hope the place has gender neutral restrooms, or I just don't go.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far, I've had absolutely no problems. I've gotten lucky in the department of using the men's restroom so far because I'm usually the only one in there. The one time someone did come in, they went about their business and didn't notice me.

I'm not sure if it's just a general not noticing or if I "passed" well enough to get through. But I try to avoid going into a restroom unless I really have to--otherwise I'd just hold it in unless I can find a family one.