1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you have trouble adjusting to pronouns?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by soupycampbell, Mar 29, 2014.

1. soupycampbell

Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright so I'm out to all of my friends (!) and they use my perferred name and male pronouns and accept me so it's great. At school and with family its opposite. When my friend use male pronouns, yes it does make me extremely happy but for a second I think wait what and then realize they mean me and I feel great. Is it just because they're the only ones besides strangers that use male pronouns? Did anyone else go through this?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took me forever to get used to being called by male pronouns. I was so used to being gendered as female for so long that it was weird when people made the switch. I've gotten used to being called by male pronouns for the most part now, although I still have my moments.

3. Straw_berry

I'm getting used to this right now Nyu~ I have all of my friends who i'm out to call me by my preferred name and use feminine pronouns Nyu~ It's quite hard to get used to Nyu~

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I thought I didn't but today at work (I work with someone whose name is Mike which is my Birth Name) and someone said "Mike" and for some reason I looked over... even though they all call me by my new name, Glad I didn't say anything!
    But other then that when someone uses masculine pronouns for me I outright ignore them

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I'm still getting used to it. Like, I was out tonight with a group of friends. Didn't get misgendered once but it was still weird hearing he, Byron, his- like, 'wait a sec, you mean me?' Weird in a good way, since my family still hasn't totally come around.

It'll get old one day. :wink:

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've been out for over a year and I'm still dumbfounded whenever I'm referred to as sir or he/him! I haven't heard anyone use my birth name in a long, long time, so I'm used to Shane, although it still feels nice whenever I hear someone say it.

It's still kind of surreal for me, though, being addressed correctly and having to adjust myself to male pronouns and that such. But a good kind of surreal.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm used to new pronouns now, but I can have a tendency to go into a silent rage when I get misgendered--which is only common really at home for now and nowhere else.

8. soupycampbell

Out Status:
    Some people
    YES! I'm not the only one :grin: thanks everybody for your replies

9. Emulator

I have had experiences of being called by both male and female pronouns. They feel awkward, so I'm reverting to neutral. And yes, I'm not used to it even when I use it on myself.

10. Calix

Right now it's just my friends who use my preferred pronouns. My best friend thought up a new nickname for me that I love, but sometimes I don't respond to it instantly xD And I have moments where they say "oh, he's doing -". And it takes me a moment to realise they're talking about me xD

11. suninthesky

Ditto what everyone else said. And it's coming up on a year for me. Does anyone know how long it took them to get used to it?

12. Chess

Chess Guest

I literally just started being addressed as female and it's a somewhat odd feeling. Not unpleasant but... unusual. It's gonna take some getting used to.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, having a gender neutral name is pretty easy on me let's say. She, her, girl is kinda easy to get used to, but... Lady drives me nuts for some reason.

14. Chess

Chess Guest

I think 'Lady' is one of those terms that is formal in a way that using it in a non-formal context sounds condescending. But that's just my take on it. >_>

I'm kind of wishing I was out to more people so I had more people to call me by my preferred name. But alas.

15. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm at a point where both feel weird to me. I don't like to be called female pronouns (even though I'm not out but it rubs wrong) but when my closer friends refer to me as "he" I have a kindof internal jump like "Oh! Oh that's right I'm called 'he' now."

Actually it makes me worried because then I think, shouldn't it feel natural? But I'm glad I saw this post because I can see that it's because I'm not used to it, not because I dislike it or that it's wrong.

16. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not out at all, but I can imagine it being tough to get used to.
    For me, I've got to undo 21 years of male pronouns. :confused: