1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you change at your school?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by suninthesky, Mar 30, 2014.

1. suninthesky

Hey gals, guys, and peeps.

I've been invited to attend the next Title IX committee meeting at my university, and I may likely have a chance to talk. At this meeting they are going to discuss gender neutral bathrooms at my school (yay!) and preferred pronouns, and anything else I think might be helpful. I'm planning on coming with a list of things, why they are important and ways to implement them. I just don't want to miss anything.

If you could help me out by posting ideas and such I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

2. TheUglyBarnacle

What about some-hours-long seminars about gender for all of the students? That'd definitely help raise understanding about the trans* community but it is kind of hard to ask, isn't it?
    Does your anti-bullying policy include gender identity and expression? If not, you could ask for it to be implemented.
    You could also explain cissexism and transphobia, I suppose. Not many people get them.

Gender neutral bathrooms and pronouns are definitely among the most important things you can say, if not the most important.

3. Silver Sparrow

Gender-neutral housing perhaps?

4. suninthesky

Thanks you all, much appreciated.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

- More gender neutral bathrooms.

- Staff diversity training. I can't tell you how many staff I've met who've been like "OH you're the first person like you I've met". Seriously. Clue staff in that you'll be seeing a lot of people from all walks of life and how to handle trans students and trans specific issues.

- Recognize non-binary students. Raise awareness. (Hell. I might do this if I ever get involved in the GSA)

Otherwise, I think my school's done a great job at being inclusive. Only big issue I've got is just getting misgendered/not knowing a lot of other trans students but even this is looking to be minimized. I'm hoping to get involved in the GSA, since I think there's other trans students involved.