1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know you're transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by gunstalk, Mar 31, 2014.

1. gunstalk

I recently joined so I'm a bit lousy at using this site right. Sorry if this is too long!

I'm contemplating on seeing a counselor and certainly procrastinating it ... mainly because I'm nervous and dreading it. I have been suffering from depression, though, and have been diagnosed with it - sometime last year, I believe, and it's still here. I never took any pills because they wouldn't prescribe them to me if my parents didn't want them to, which they definitely agreed with. They figured I'd overuse them. :dry: I wanted them, though, because I wanted to be rid of these feelings but now I know they won't go away until I act on them. I don't want to be mistaken is the thing!

I remember being six or seven and going into the bathroom to cut my hair because I hated how it was so long (even at my shoulders I considered it long and still do). So I took my sister's scissors and started to chop off my bangs, then my hair's length. Immediately after I felt guilty and scared of what my mom would do, so I hid myself in the bathroom and refused to come out because I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut the rest of my hair while I had a chance. I have long, long hair to this day and I have asked for it to be cut short a few times, but of course my mom has to go and tell everybody what I asked of her and everybody says I look "pretty" with long hair. My mom will let me cut it, though, I just don't know how I want it. My grandma is totally against it which peeved me.

Then again, all of my family always tell me what I can and can't wear, etcetera. I'm always given floral dresses and tops, skin tight jeans and design leggings. My friend who is a girl said I have a girl's dream closet. Yeah, maybe I do, but I'm not a girl! So why do I have to have clothes I find terrible in my closet? I talked to my mom about it before and she said I could get what I wanted to wear but she changes the topic when I bring it up.

I keep it hidden from my family how I feel. They don't know that I feel deep down that I am a boy because I haven't told them. They're ignorant about the topic too, saying its "men becoming women" and "women becoming men". Anyway, I experience huge disgust over my body. Knowing that I carry breasts on my chest saddens me to no end (when I was a youngster and felt bumps that hurt, I ran out of the shower to get to my mom because I was confused and told her I disliked them and wanted them gone). I bind my chest, wearing three sports bras and a tight tank top to hide my chest and when I feel its showing, I freak out and end up almost crying in discomfort. If I even try to masturbate I think I have a penis, but then realize I don't and get upset. I really want one, but I'm not sure about having SRS - its expensive and I'm overall unsure. I want to get hormone injections (Testosterone) to change my body. I really, really want a deep voice and I hate how I sound now. It's too high for my liking. And I want to eventually grow facial hair, have broader shoulders and bigger body muscles ... and the like. I want to change how I look because it would make me so happy.

Pronouns make me vomit. Female ones, I mean. I love being called he, his and him - it feels good and doesn't hurt me like she and her do. Granted, people notice how I tense and become quiet when this happens. One time it became too much to bear and I ended up sobbing my eyes out in the gym office with a teacher and my buddy. Then it happened again. And once more. I also ran to the bathroom another two times crying because I was being treated like a girl and being called one and I wanted to hurt myself. I have pinched myself, pulled at my skin, bit myself ... all to do with how I am disgusted with my body. It doesn't even feel like my body. I can wake up and think about my penis, then go "where'd it go" but then realize, you know. Which brings me to how I pack at home with anything of mine I can find.

When I was 10, I thrashed around my room in a fit of rage, praying to anything or anybody to get me out of my body into one without breasts and the like so I could smile for once. I kept chanting "I'm in a gross body help me". I never noticed how much more cruel I was being back then. I didn't care about anything (I've gotten better) and people ended up disliking me even more. I was so lonely and depressed that I wanted out. Which brings me to here; I have definitely thought about suicide, but couldn't pursue it out of the love for my family and echoes in the back of my head telling me I was staying strong.

I want to be treated like a boy and I feel like I am one. But I have doubts, despite knowing I have never been female or anything else but male, about being transgender. I sometimes feel like I'll regret it all and then I feel and know I won't. It stresses me out. Plus my mom once asked me about it and she thinks its a phase and that I'm a tomboy. Help? I could sure use some! Thanks.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You seem to describe gender dysphoria to the letter to me. Your physiological and mental reaction to what you've described seems to indicate you are female to male transgender.

I'm not sure how old you are so I can't really say what you can do but you definitely want to look into talking to a gender therapist about your feelings and see what they say about your desire to transition.

Now I'm not an expert in medical transitioning since I don't have real physical dysphoria (but rather a preference), I don't intend to go that far so I'm not able to give you good advice there. I'm sure you will get plenty of more qualified people to help you there.

But know you aren't weird or anything and you've come to the right place for guidance and support.

#2 Kasey, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014