1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be considered discrimination?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FightingShadows, Mar 31, 2014.

1. FightingShadows

So, ever since I've come out, almost everyone at work has been good about using my preferred name. Some are even working on the correct pronouns (yay!) But some of my supervisors know my preferred name and even though someone else may have called me it two seconds ago, they still use my birth name. I've told them several times that I do not identify with that name and would like if they used my preferred name. They have downright refused or have told me, since it's my legal name they're still using it or that they "forget". I've been wondering this for a while, for someone to REFUSE to use the name I prefer to go by, is that considered discrimination? And could I possibly bring an issue like that up to management?

2. Vince

I would legally change the name before going to authorities...

3. wolfxinxchains

possibly. it depends I guess. because if they know your preferred name it might (And I'm thinking it very likely could be) considered discrimination. and if you have told them to call you by your preferred name then thatcould be the big reason why it would be considered discrimination.

4. nyxe

I think it could if you've made it clear to them that that name is the one you identify as. I'm not sure as to what action you should take, but I do agree that it could be considered discrimination.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you're in a state where transgender rights are specifically protected, it's unlikely that what they are doing is an actionable issue, unfortunately.

If you work for a larger company and there's a regional manager or corporate office to contact, that might be a better option.

6. Ruthven

this made me look up Rhode Island(OP's state) and trans rights and it seems they protect:

GLAD / Know Your Rights / Information by State / Rhode Island

7. FightingShadows

Hey, thanks for that :slight_smile:

8. Shea

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I asked my mom because she works in Human Resources, and she said it's likely the HR department, if you have one, would make them use your preferred name in a case like yours.

9. WillowRose

If you decide to take the issue up with your HR department, a phrase that may grab their attention strongly is "hostile working environment" (as in, it creates a hostile working environment for you when supervisors refuse to use your preferred name or pronouns).

That GLAD link that Ruthven found certainly makes it sound like RI has pretty strong protections in place.