1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy surfacing dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by abandonedsocks, Mar 31, 2014.

1. abandonedsocks

I, a long time ago, spent quite a long time dressing like a boy. My friend called me by whatever name I asked her to (what a sweetheart, she helped me with ones, I tried out a few until I found one I liked), all my friends were fine with the fact that I just... dressed like the opposite gender with little to no explanation. (It probably helped that I passed quite easily, and was seen as very "cute", considering my younger age.) I only came out to one person officially, who was very accepting. I was convinced I was gender dysphoric, and I was transgender. I was scared by this, but I came to terms with it. WELL, some things happened, to make a long story short. I lost all of my friends and I just went through life, working and going to classes at a local college for a while. I 'girlied' it up. Wore makeup occasionally. I like doing makeup, don't really see it as a girl thing persay, because I'll still wear makeup when I'm dressed 'boyish', but I had over time, stopped binding. Grew my hair out a bit. Even dressed in 'girly' things sometimes. But showing off my boobs was always a bit uncomfortable for me, and I had two relationships which both deadpanned when sex was involved. I just wasn't comfortable, though I didn't know why. The whole gender dysphoria was just out of my mind, I guess. I still wasn't comfortable, with anything, but I was trying not to pay attention.

In fact, I wondered (some of you helped so much!) if I was a lesbian, and that my 'boy' tendencies were just because I couldn't have imagined a girl/girl relationship. But honestly, I don't know if I am attracted to girls. I mean, they're pretty, but so are boys! But... I don't want to be in a relationship with either. Or have sex with either. Not that I don't want sex, but I can't be comfortable in a sexual situation. I don't know why, but I've tried a lot and nothing has worked. Out of nowhere today, I felt super uncomfortable. I put on makeup, skinny jeans, a sweatshirt, hat, and docs. (The only feminine bit was my eyeshadow.) I don't know, I just had these feelings bubble up out of nowhere, and I kept trying to put it out of my head, but I couldn't. I don't feel like they're as strong as they used to be, but I'm not sure. I do know, confidently, that I wish I had been born a boy. I think me as a person just... I don't know. When I dream, I'm a boy, when I'm a character in a story, I'm a boy. I mean, sometimes it's nice to think of myself as the "sexy chick", because I'd like to be attractive in this body... and god, I have the body most girls would kill for. I've been told it. But I don't want it. I'm not entirely sure how others feel with their dysphoria, but I wish I'd been born a boy. But there's so much to think about. Do I want to transition? Or try and pass as one? I mean, there's coming out, there's expensive treatments, job discrimination... is it worth it? Can't I just ignore it and be happy anyway?

I guess I'm asking: have you ever felt like your dysphoria went away for a while? I'll be starting at a new school in the fall, a chance to start anew. Maybe that's why these feelings came up. Like it might be my chance? I really don't know, I just know I'm confused.. and you people are the only friends I have in this area! (And I am so grateful for it, you have no idea. I mean... you do, but... oh, you get it!)

2. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think with dysphoria you can have good days and bad days. A while ago I had about a week where I felt ok enough that I started to question whether I was transgender. I was still uncomfortable but felt that is wasn't as bad that I would need to transition and I could stay how I was. unfortunately it didn't last long, I had really hoped I wasn't trans and had just made a mistake in thinking so but the dysphoria came back stronger after a week :frowning2:

3. abandonedsocks

As I was 13, I remember being EXTREMELY uncomfortable with my body. To the point my mom very gently had asked me once if I've been assaulted in any way. I said no, because as far as I know, I hadn't. I just hated my body. Showing it off made me sick. I kind of started with this when I was around.... 15, I'd say? Maybe 16. But it lasted the entirety of my high school career. I dressed very boyish, and because of the 'feminine punk guy' fad was going on and it was before the 'short girl pixie cuts' one happened, I passed very easily. Some people assumed I was a girl, some a boy. Either way, I never corrected them, but I always felt a sense of... pride? happiness when people referred to me as 'he'. I was in a relationship, not out even a bit, with a guy for almost a year, and one thing I would never do was take off my bra. I didn't even want to take my shirt off. Anyway, I've been able to see myself with boys, or girls, really. But.. always as a boy. I just.. was a guy. These feelings lasted for years. I brought the issue up to my parents to see their stance because I was debating on coming out. But I graduated and dropped it, and I went through a few very emotionally draining things, and it just went out of my mind. Like I couldn't handle MORE drama. It came back, and I don't know how much of a vengeance. It seems almost.. dulled, in a way? (I think because I've had these feelings before, it wasn't shocking) I don't even really remember how it started, but I remember as a kid I had some feelings about getting my 'body changed', though I hadn't known what plastic surgery was or that it even existed. I didn't know trans* was a thing. As a kid I didn't even know gay was a thing. But part of me is angry, like why couldn't I just be born normal, you know? But I'm not, I guess, and being angry won't help. And I just don't know how to go about addressing it.