1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender neutral haircut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by OutwardSmiles, Apr 1, 2014.

1. OutwardSmiles

I've been thinking about getting a gender neutral haircut recently. My hair is a b*tch to handle anyways and whenever I'm feeling particularly male (like right now) I hate it with a burning passion. With my body type and facial structure, I think I would actually be able to pass as a guy (although a scrawny one) despite not being on T, if it wasn't for my hair.

I'm not out to my parents, but I tend to get my hair cut and donate it about once a year, so I'm hoping that my mother will agree to letting me get a short haircut if I tell her that I just want to donate more and try a new style.

Since in the past I've always had long hair, I don't want to immediately jump into getting a pixie cut or something similar, but I did find one style that I actually liked.

If you visit this site, there are a few pictures from different angles of someone with the haircut I was considering: Marina P. 3 | alexscissors
    I guess I'd just go to the salon and ask for exactly that, unless I decided to go a little longer.

What do you think of that haircut? Do you think someone with that style would be able to pass as either male or female? I'd like to hear a few opinions. If I got that style do you think it would be okay to get side bangs along with it or would that make it look too feminine?

My hair is also naturally curly, so if I got this do you think it would be best for me to straighten my hair when I wanted to appear male? I'm not sure if straightening it would make it easier or harder to pass as a guy. Perhaps if I straightened it the night before and then slept on it so it wouldn't look too perfect? What are your thoughts?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be honest, at that length it looks pretty feminine...if it were shoulder length and a bit wavy, it would work, if it were shorter and straight it would work...

But that's just me and I'm not an expert on hair in any way so don't take my word for it!

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I dunno. Would recommend a pixie cut or something similiar. I've got a pixie- you can see it in my avatar. Basically, depending on the style, a pixie can be pretty versatile. Comb it over to one side, brush out some bangs- instantly feminine. Part it evenly, adjust as needed- instantly male.

4. abandonedsocks

Look at the 80s. I mean, androgynous looks were in then. I'd say *that* haircut still looks feminine, but that's just me. A bit longer, layered (i.e.: shane mccutcheon) can look feminine or masculine, depending on the style of dress. And a big thing: ask your stylist! I used to go in with boys haircuts all the time, or girls. And sometimes I'd say, "This, but more feminine." or vice versa, depending on what I felt like. Stylists are really helpful, and if you're worried about judgement, just say you're doing it for a play or something!