1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One teacher is being difficult...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThisIsTheKenneth, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Sorry this might run a little long.

Okay, so I recently came out to all of my teachers and asked them to call me Dylan instead of my legal name (well, except for my French teacher, who calls me by a masculine French name anyway). Four of 5 of them have been capital-a Awesome with it. There have been a few slip ups, but always followed by an apology and a correction. :slight_smile: Of course, that's only 4 of 5. The other one, my art teacher who we'll call Ms.D, has refused to do anything at all.

On the first day, I talked to her and she said "Hum well that's...I'll do my best." She then called me by the wrong name for the next two days. Not even my legal name--one that sounds vaguely like it! So I went to her before class started and said "Hey, you've been using the wrong name, I just wanted to remind you that it's Dylan now." She responded saying she had "other things to focus on than people's name changes"... Lady, I do, too.

Then what did she do? When class started she made a speech that sounded a little something like this: "Students, think of others before you act. Today, I had someone come scream and yell at me when I declined to do something they asked me that I Don't. Believe. In. They asked me to help them do something that I'm totally against, and when I refused, they blew up in my face. I don't think any less of them for what they wanted me to do, but you guys have to think of others before you say things." Then she said raising a kid and having a sick brother makes up for her asshole-ey-ness. Never mind the fact that I'm as quiet as a mouse in school and probably not capable of screaming at her.

About a month went by and, after talking to another teacher and determining that nothing could be done to force the issue without getting a parent involved, I asked Ms.D a third time. She just said "I can't do that" and made me sit down.

Then last week, I'd had enough. I marched up to the desk before class.
    ME:I don't understand why you're having such a hard time wrapping your brain around one name change. Is it so mind-blowing?
    HER:I just read what's written on the attendance sheet. I can't remember everyone's silly nicknames.
    ME: It's not a nickname, and it's not hard. Literally none of my other teachers call me by that name. Besides, you call Gabriel "Gabe," Brooklyn "Brooke," and Zachary "Zach", so I don't see what the problem is.
    HER: Those are shortened versions of their names. If you wanted to be called Kate or Kit, I'd have no problem.
    ME: ...You do realize my name doesn't have a 't' in it, right? That it isn't Kaitlynn?
    CUE FULL 30 SECONDS OF SILENCE
    HER: Yes, I know your real name is Kaylyn.
    ME: Except it's not. :bang: Honestly! You can't even remember it, so why are you so set on using it?! NONE of my other teachers are having this issue.
    HER: I don't care about any of your other teachers. I'm not any of your other teachers. I'm going to use your legal name. When you change it to Dylan, I'll call you Dylan.
    At this point I'd become so exasperated I started walking away. She called after me.
    HER: I haven't even been calling role, trying not to offend you!
    ME: Well you've failed at that!
    Then I left until the bell rang and I had to be in my seat.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I absolutely can't get a parent involved, and I can't switch out of that class. Has anyone else dealt with this before, any advice?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speak to your counselor to ask her to do ask you ask. While I have always called my students whatever they prefer, I would never hesitate to call a trans youth whatever they asked. I have... Two in my school, neither are in my classes.

The point being is speak to your advisor or counselor, or if you have a GSA or LGBT club leader talk to them.

Face it, not all teachers do right for their students. It happens. I know, I see it all around me.

I hope you can get the respect you deserve. No teacher should ever do anything that isn't in the students best interest, especially if it does not disrupt the classroom activities.

3. Vince

If the teacher is causing you problems it's very easy to ask for a transfer. State the reason as the teacher causing a hostile leaning environment.

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    How long are you stuck with this teacher?
    If it's not much longer, maybe try and put up with her?
    You SHOULDN'T have to, but she's too stubborn, so you may have to be the bigger man. :slight_smile:

Either that, or try talking to the headteacher or something?

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK. Here's what you need to do.

Find a member of the school senior management team. Principle, vice principal, department head, whoever. Ideally, the higher you can go the better, but take what you can get. Ask them for a meeting. - I am making the assumption that since your class teachers know, other members of staff know too.

Tell them the following.

"As you are aware I have started my transition and have been asking people to use the name Dylan when referring to me.

Four of my teachers (name them), have been fantastic. There have been some slip ups where my preferred name has been forgotten, however these have almost always been met by a correction and an apology. I want to make it clear at this point that I do not take issue with people forgetting to use my preferred name. Those four teachers have been incredibly helpful to me, and have made what is easily the most terrifying thing I have ever done that little bit easier. I would like to start this meeting by formally expressing my gratitude towards these teachers.

However, I am struggling with my fifth teacher, Ms. D.

As I have said, I do not expect people to remember my preferred name immediately, nor do I expect any special treatment. All I ask is that people try and use it and become comfortable with it as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, it has been made quite clear to me that Ms D refuses to do this. I realise what I am asking is not common, however I feel that Ms D has acted quite inappropriately. During one lesson Ms D made a passive-aggressive speech to the entire class after I asked her to use my correct name. (At this point, if you actually DID lose it and scream at her, I would own up to it and apologise for it). During this speech she made it clear that 'a student' had demanded she do something she 'does not believe in'. This is both transphobic and deeply, deeply hurtful. She has also made it clear that she considers my preferred name to be nothing more than a 'nickname'.

Ms D, as with most teachers, refers to many students by use of a nickname. I provided her with some examples of students who she refers to by nicknames. It became apparent at this point, that not only is Ms D prepared to use my preferred name, but she also has not bothered to learn my BIRTH name. She informed my that she would happily use shortened versions of a name similar to mine my birth name, but most definitely NOT my actual birth name.

Ms D clearly has spent no time committing my birth name to memory, and as such I find it difficult to find reason behind her reluctance to learn my preferred name, something as I have pointed out, all the other teachers have managed to achieve with very little effort.

I don't believe this is a big request, however the effects of this action have significant effects. In my four other classes, I am happy. In this class I am deeply unhappy and it all hinges on the use of a single word the teacher probably needs to use no more than twice per lesson. Hearing my birth name is a painful experience, made more painful by the fact that everyone else has been so professional and accommodating about the whole thing.

I find myself with limited options. My hope is that I will not need my backup option.

My first option is that I ask you to speak to Ms D and request that she use the name I have asked her to. I have a right to be recognized as the gender I am, not the gender she wants me to be. I hope that you will, and I hope that she will do so.

If not, I will have to resort to my backup plan. In essence this means I will respond ONLY to the name Dylan. Dylan is my name. I have no reason to respond to any other. I would not respond to anyone who called me Lucy or Steve or Benson, so why would I respond to BIRTH NAME.

As you can imagine, this option has the potential to further anger Ms D which is something I would rather avoid. However, if she continues to be unprofessional regarding this matter, then I will have no other option.

Thank you."

BOOM.

6. Silver Sparrow

Is there a GSA at your school, or any other openly trans students or alumni? They might have advice.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So strange that arts teachers are supposed to be the most open, right? My art teacher was the one I had problem with, too. She even gave me a suspension :\.

What I did was talk to the direction, including the director and the co-director (is that what that's called?). They fixed the problem partly, but I had to get a letter from the doctor to really have what I wanted. Knowing your other teachers are supportive, I would ask for their help, too. Teachers are supposed to talk to each other, right?

8. WillowRose

What Holly suggested, but also consider putting it in writing (and keep a copy for your records, of course).

It also occurs to me that it really doesn't matter *why* you prefer to be addressed as Dylan rather than by your legal given name -- the real issue is that you have a strongly-held preference for being addressed that way, and any competent, courteous professional would honor that preference.

9. Kat 5

Ellia knows what she is doing. Couldn't have said it better myself.

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest a formal, business-format letter that is marked "hand-delivered" and of which you maintain a copy. I would inform the supportive teachers and guidance counselor prior to submitting the letter to the principal or vice-principal. This is all assuming that your parents are aware of the situation and are supportive. If you're under 18, it should actually be them filing the complaint.

11. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you so much for the replies! All were super helpful, but I'm a little hesitant to go to any others of the administration because my father is 0% supportive and I'm afraid they'd call him or something if I pushed the issue too much.

12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. Here's what you do then: forget it and ACE THAT CLASS. This will be your revenge. I had a homophobic Public Speaking professor during my first year of college and my revenge was to give a speech about the unconstitutionality of DOMA. Afterward, he told me that was one of the best speeches given in his class and although he still disagreed, he could imagine "certain exceptions." ;p Seriously, hit her where it hurts - her own subject.

13. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha, I am doing that. According to a friend that has the same teacher in another class, Ms.D says I'm one of her best students and good at art stuff (Referring to me as my given name all the way, of course. I've convinced this friend to speak up and say "Who? Oh, you mean DYLAN? I know HIM! :grin: )

14. SilverGirl

my advice may not be very helpful, but if it were me, i would call her by a different name and see if she likes it, or a male version of her name :grin:

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That... As awesome as it would be, would end up antagonizing her.