1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did people think you were gay before you came out as trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard that this is common for trans people.

2. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my case no. Some still do not know. My mother was surprised and my sister was as well, but in the end they were not upset or pissed off about it. They just wanted me to be happy especially since I was going down hill because of me hiding this fact about myself. There are some people who still ask me if I have a boyfriend, I just say no. Sometimes especially with religious people in my family I don't care to tell since one they will judge me just on that and two I have found it is none of their business. I think some people may have an idea, but they never ask so I don't tell. I am still in the stage of trying to get comfortable about myself so... How about you?

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not especially. I can see WHY it would be common, since apparently there are a lot of similar stereotypical traits.

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

It was rumored, I wasn't outwardly interested in the fairer sex all that much, I mean I never really made any effort into finding someone, meanwhile my two brothers are married, one has 2 kids (I am the middle one btw, the one with two kids is only 3 years older) so there was definitely "talk". but that would've been the only indicator.

But I never "fit" the Gay stereotypes the people expect ya know? as a dude I didn't really take care of myself, I mean wake up get dressed and off to work within 5 minutes etc.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are trans men and women of all sexualities who formerly identified as gay men and lesbians, and there are plenty of gay trans people who lived before as straight members of their biological sex. Then you have plenty of others who fall outside of the gender binary, and are somewhere between these two narratives.

People made jokes when they saw I wasn't chasing after every woman in school, took advantage of my sensitivity and introverted personality, and even compared me to girls, strangest of all. And yes, there were a few gay jokes, but I don't think they were much worse than what actual gay boys were experiencing.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think so. I was open about being bi/pansexual way before I was out as trans.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I dunno. I was out as a lesbian before I came out as trans. I kind of wonder if that's how I come across to people I don't pass around because I'd get misgendered but people would still treat me like a masculine person (if that makes any sense).

8. justjade

Actually, no. Of course, all the people I've come out to know I'm married to a straight guy, so I guess that helps. I guess in that sense, I am gay, but I'm not a lesbian. In fact, I'm not all that interested in women.

9. Niko

Yeah. My mom was pretty much certain I was a lesbian. She even confronted me about it several times, even though I kept saying I wasn't. I'm pretty certain one reason is because I showed no interest in men around her; but that was because I was kind of embarrassed and didn't want her to know the type of guys I liked :|. Another reason being, I didn't want to be a girl at all. I refused to wear short shorts, skirts, dresses, make-up etc.

10. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yep. I know that some people think I'm a lesbian because of the short hair,no makeup and no boyfriend for ages. Some people hint that they think I'm closeted, well their right about closeted but wrong about lesbian. Others that know I like men think I'm bi, their kinda right but I don't think I could ever be with a woman. And the others know I'm trans so I don't think there is anyone that thinks I'm straight :/

11. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think they seriously thought it, but all the gay jokes seemed to gravitate towards me for whatever reason.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but I came out as bi and then gay when I identified as female still. So, a lot of people thought that I was.

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. My dad still thinks I'm gay. Gay as in lesbian, not gay as in gay. The latter I suppose would be a step forward because it would be more accurate.

14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was heavily rumored by my classmates and my mother's friend and family that I was attracted to girls, but it's all wrong. Not only am I trans, but I'm gay, too.

15. Kat 5

I feel that there are hints of people thinking I am gay. But then again I haven't shown an outstanding attraction to girls. What I see in a man or woman is the personality and a handsome or beautiful facial complexion. None of that 'hot body' stuff.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2014 at 05:52 PM ----------

No reason to go chasing.

16. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, a couple people have asked me if I'm gay, but I'm not out to anyone, since I don't know anyone who might be ok with it... :bang:

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I was out as queer for a while prior to coming out as trans, so.

18. FightingShadows

My mom always asked if I like girls despite the fact that I had intense crushes on whatever male celebrity happened to catch my eye at that point in my life and had tried dating boys my age a few times but for whatever reason we just never "fit" together. (Now I know why). After I came out, my family and friends had all told me they knew something was up but figured I would eventually come out as lesbian. Nope! Gay boy in a girl's body. Whoop!

19. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty sure everyone still thinks I'm lesbian, though to be fair I haven't come out yet to most people.

20. Summer Rose

No, worse: about 3 times coming out as trans, the first question was, "are you gay?" (give a few words).