1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Children

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chess, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Chess

Chess Guest

Hey again :3

At this point I am beyond certain that I am MtF but I still have one reservation about transitioning.

I want to have children one day, and as far as I know transitioning will sterilize me.

...is there any way around this? >_> I know adoption is an option but are there any others?

...I know it's a bit early to be concerning myself with this but I want to know before I move forward in case there is something I can do >_>

...thanks in advance.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no expertise in this, but no way you could have your eggs frozen or something, so your children are genetically yours? :confused:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That might be difficult being as genetic males don't have eggs HM03 :3 But the point is still valid.

You can have sperm frozen if you're worried about it, and use it if you ever need it. Apparently a lot of people recommend it, although I can't personally see the need.

4. Chess

Chess Guest

Well

I think you mean sperm :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

...Yeah I could do that, I suppose...

EDIT: Sniped by Holly

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ouch. That honestly was a huge mistake. So sorry :S I guess I was only half paying attention ?

#5 HM03, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  6. Chess

Chess Guest

No problem :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm honoured to have been mistaken for a cisgirl :3

7. As they said, there is the option of freezing your sperm, though it is really expensive. You'll have to look into the prices.

You could also go for a surrogate. If you are dating someone who can become pregnant, they can have artificial insemination and you can watch the pregnancy first hand (been there, done that, not missing out on much if you choose not to lol).

There are also many forms of adoption other than going from home to home to pick out a kid. If someone who is pregnant does want their baby, you can have you and your partners name on the birth certificate and you can be there from day one.

Also, don't forget about the man who became pregnant. He stopped Hrt for a short time to try to become pregnant, and it worked, twice! So maybe when the day comes, straying from Hrt if you haven't had bottom surgery, may make you fertile just enough to either conceive a baby or collect enough sperm to inseminate.

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not rely upon the HRT not working; also, going off of it often causes major dysphoria, especially in women.

If you're resolved to have children who are biologically yours, I'd recommend freezing sperm. Of course, this is assuming that you'll marry a woman who could be impregnated. Since you're bisexual, there's still a chance that you'd marry a man, right? Unless he were FtM and hadn't had a hysterectomy, that wouldn't work for your purposes, either.

Is it really important for the child to be genetically yours? This is something that I can empathize with as I've always wanted a large family but personally, I think that if you love them and take responsibility for them, they're your child. To reduce questioning, you can always try to find a child of a similar ethnic background so that they look more like you, too. :slight_smile:

9. Chess

Chess Guest

It's somewhat important for me that the child be both mine AND my partners, if at all possible. Which would require me to marry a ciswoman or transman that froze eggs beforehand. But if I end up in a situation where making a child with my partner is impossible (which is likely to happen >_>) I'd rather just adopt.

I'll probably want to freeze some sperm before I start HRT anyway, just in case. How expensive are we talking? ;-;

10. Caillin

I read somewhere that it can be 500$ per year but every clinic is different so its best to just look at the prices of you local clinics online.