1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking a name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hii, Apr 6, 2014.

1. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my friend today. It was pretty anti-climatic. Too anti-climatic. She said that she's transgender too... yeah.

She agreed to call me by male pronouns but it still bothers me that I have a girl's name. My name's also religious and I'm an atheist... yeah.

So I took it upon myself to find a new name that she could call me, but it's kind of a big deal. I know that I could just drop it and find another one that would stick, but there's also a chance that even if the name absolutely sucks it would grow on me, and we can't have that.

I wonder if everyone's getting bored of me since I literally post a thread every day but, advice?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one is bored. We all are here as part of a community. Don't ever feel like you shouldn't post anything.

Now here is the question... what names do you like.

I like my name because it is gender neutral, which works for me.

Some people pick a male version of a female name or vice versa or something entirely different. Fire some names off let's narrow them down with you.

3. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    Although this may sound strange, the way that I chose my name was by looking up the certain meaning of what I wanted my name to mean.

I wanted my name to mean 'dark', so I looked up names meaning dark and chose my favorite one: Adrian

To me, it makes my name feel more close and personal when I have the meaning behind it, although since I haven't changed my name legally ( and no one calls me by Adrian), I've considered changing it to Drayce, since I find it a bit more masculine, and It means 'Dragon'.

4. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh... I don't usually think about this. Hmm... Julian, Sebastian, Ian, Logan- I'm seeing a theme.

5. Hexagon

I picked Alexander for myself. One reason is that it felt like me. Other important things to consider are the name's meaning, ease of saying it, if you think your friends and family will be comfortable with it, (if you think this is important) whether it is appropriate for your age and ethnicity and so on. Just make sure you won't regret it. If going unnoticed is important to you, a good way of choosing is to look up baby names from the year of your birth, and note down a few that you like that are moderately popular. Then (if you like) research their meanings, and consider all the other things I've mentioned. Of course, you may come across a name that you find fits immediately, and that's fine too.

6. Sigrid

I personally think Logan is a lovely name! Have you concidered if you want your name to mean something specific?

7. soupycampbell

Out Status:
    Some people
    look at yourself in the mirror and say each of the names you like until one feels right, also I would ask your friend to try them out too. I chose a name and have been going by it at school this year, and honestly I don't like it much anymore because I've noticed its really common in the trans community and its becoming a popular baby name this year...good thing I haven't legally changed my name yet.(!!) oh and congrats on coming out :grin:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sebastian or Logan are the most masculine in my opinion.

9. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm seriously considering the name Logan. I like it, don't personally know many people with that name, and it suits me. It suits me way better than my birth name, at least.

10. Sigrid

I think Logan would suit you perfectly! Like soupycampbell said, it might be a good idea to have your friend try it out, to see if you like the sound of it and if it feels natural c:

11. Tetra

Ah, I was also considering names! I kind of wanted to keep the first letter of my current name, so I was kind of thinking Calvin (uncommon, plus it's the name of one of my favourite cartoon characters), or Carl. I like both of them, although I'm not sure of their meanings. I agree with the idea of looking up the meanings first, and then finding the names. That sounds awesome! Were you looking for your name to be long or short?

12. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For what it's worth, I think Logan is a pretty hot name. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Noted. XD

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2014 at 08:20 PM ----------

Thanks for the friend request! I like looking up names by meanings (I do it a lot for naming characters in things I write) but I tend to come back with really weird ones. Yeah, search the meanings of those names! Curious what they are.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Logan isn't a Stereotypical Trans Man Name.
    You're in the clear.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

My name ended up being one of the first things that came to me after my initial realization. Byron, though I did make a half hearted effort into attempting to find another name (and Brian didn't have the same ring to it). And if you know your poetry, my namesake is the author Lord George Byron, author of Don Juan (but I'd never read any of my writings at the time).

So it just depends on the tone you're going for. I wanted something masculine yet semi-uncommon, didn't want to be the second Brian in the workplace, yet it couldn't be so obscure that absolutely no one named their kids that. Byron's not a common name but enough people have it so that realistically, some couple could've named their son that and not looked too far out.

16. Kat 5

^^ this ^^
    I call myself Katsumi, which means 'victorious beauty' in Japanese. As a name.

17. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Behindthename.com is an awesome resource that I used quite a lot in deciding my name.

18. Calix

I just picked a name that felt right. It came to me pretty quickly. It doesn't have anything to do with my birth name. Though my best friend thought up a nickname since she couldn't quite adjust, and I love it more than my actual name xD

19. Straw_berry

I came up with my name (Destrie) because it's something I've used as sort of a nickname, plus for it's rarity Nyu~ I just wanted a unique name that sounded good with my last name Nyu~

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My name was really the first one that came to me. I came up with it when I was still identifying as pangender. I thought about the name Brad first, but then I also thought about going as Josh. I decided to go with Brad because it's what I would've been named if I was born male. Also, it can mean treasonous one, which I think is kinda cool :slight_smile: