1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepting oneself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kasey, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know I always felt like I knew what I was doing and that "oh yea I'm something in the transgender umbrella".

Well I just finally verbalized it out loud. I actually said externally what I felt internally for the first time ever. Somehow I feel more authentic. Somehow I feel like "one of us" in a true sense now. I'm not out like some of us, but today was a great step in understanding myself.

So this is my advice to people still struggling with their gender identity. Think about it. Internalize it. Then actually say it to yourself and see if it feels right. That may seem trivial but I just lifted a rather heavy weight off my shoulders by this simple fact.

My journey hasn't ended, it just truly started I feel.

Glad to finally feel like I'm part of the community and not somehow "fake".

You are all great... Don't forget that.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats! If there's anything close to as difficult as coming out to your parents it's coming out to yourself.

I considered myself bisexual for quite a few years (though I didn't give it much thought or seriously pursue anyone of either sex), but I don't think I ever actually said it out loud. In recent months I've finally started to label myself as gay and it was so hard to verbalize is, even with nobody around. Saying it a few times was somewhat of a liberating experience and now I find myself blurting it out all the time when nobody is around. It's a small step, but an important one. :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't that shit so hard the first time, even if you think you got it under control?

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Absolutely. I can only imagine how tough that moment must be for people who regret their sexuality and would truly change it if given a choice. I'm not happy about my inability to force myself out, but I'm content with who I'm attracted to and it was still very difficult for me to spit out those two words "I'm gay."

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm here for you brother. (*hug*)

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Congrats, Kasey, and welcome to "us!" know you know as much as anybody about my struggles with gender identity; I may now consider myself to be "femme androgyne" but still refer to myself as "girl,"even if it's not all the way a accurate. It just feels more right. My partner is fabulous and makes me feel special now that she understands me more, and that I've come to understand myself more. It's a wonderful feeling to know you've figured something out about yourself! Welcome to the beginning of a fantastic journey!

7. InfectedGenes

Out Status:
    Family only
    That's interesting Advice Kasey ill be sure to try it when im next home alone and noone is around to hear me say it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can verbalize it aloud then that is believe it or not a huge step. I've always known... but I have never actually said it aloud. Last night I think was the first time I ever truly accepted it about myself.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saying it outloud is really hard...I remember the first time I did it I thought I was going to be sick I was shaking so badly.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I choked up last night at least 5 times before I said it...

11. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done Kasey. :slight_smile: <3

First time I said it out loud, was to my doctor. I went completely silent after that. :L

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what... I'm going to change something else now despite whatever I can present as I'm going to identify as what I feel like.

13. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats!

14. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Good for you Kasey! I'm proud of you! Very happy and excited for you too!(*hug*)

15. anonym

anonym Guest

Congratulations. This is a massive step! Well done. I still find it hard to say aloud that I'm a man or that I'm transsexual. Trans or transgender is what I'm comfortable with at the moment.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmm hmmm.

I hear that my brothers and sisters.

(&&&)

17. justjade

Congrats, Kasey! I'm so happy for you!

I had to go through essentially the same process. I had to actually say it out loud to really realize it, and it felt great. That's when I really, truly realized that I'm a man. I'm glad you're coming to terms with yourself. You're beautiful and look very strong and self-assured. You're awesome. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2014 at 11:45 AM ----------

Honestly, I'm not transsexual either. I'm transgender. I don't plan on getting on T or having surgery (at least not bottom surgery), so that's what I am. You're fine. Just take your time, bro.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, you're always so supportive.

*bro hug*

19. Skyline

You make me envious, Kasey.

I think that my label of Gender Fluid is probably a transitional state for me. I get to have a label and feel secure while at the same time continue to explore my feelings. The best part is, I can take as long as I want... Or maybe that's the worst part.

Odd as it may sound, I want to be a trans girl. I know people that are have to deal with dozens of problems and usually they struggle to find happiness and peace all their lives... Is it silly for me to wish for any of that? Maybe it is, but maybe I'm not wishing for something I'm not, maybe I'm wishing that I'll admit to being something that I am. Am I jealous of trans girls because they have the courage to admit to themselves who and what they are? Maybe... but it's too early for me to tell, I think.

Anyway, I'm glad you made this thread, Kasey. Whatever happens to me, I can safely say I made SOME progress today. If only I knew what that progress is in exactly.