1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Restrooms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, Apr 9, 2014.

1. justjade

First off, I want to start by saying that there are probably countless threads about this topic already, so I'm sorry if I'm dragging this out. However, I think mine might be a little different, so hear me out.

There's this issue I have with public restrooms. I am actually afraid to use the men's room. Of course, where I live, it's kind of understandable, I think. I think I look reasonably masculine enough as long as I don't open my mouth. That's not really the problem. I might run into someone I went to church with....or my dad. It's a very small area. If I run into my dad, I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do, no doubt, and if anyone else happens to be in the restroom at the same time, it's going to be a little extra embarrassing.

However, since I don't pack, I plan on using the stall anyway. Hey, plenty of guys have a shy bladder. It's a thing. I mean, I don't, but it doesn't really matter. I do poop almost every time I pee though, and who wants to shit in a urinal? Sorry if that's too much information. :icon_redf

Anyway, I have this weird moment of wondering if I pass for a few seconds before choosing a restroom. I sometimes think to myself, "Man, I could have been passing, but if I go into the women's room, I'll blow it! But if I'm not passing.... Yeesh." And then I usually end up going with the women's room.

So...what do I do? I mean, do I just keep passively going to the women's room and hope no one sees me go in and come back out, or do I go to the men's room? How did you break into using the other bathroom? Is there any anxiety when you do? :help:

2. anonym

anonym Guest

Is there a gender neutral bathroom/disabled bathroom?

3. justjade

Not usually. I wish there was, but I've never seen one.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea that's why I'm worried about long outings in female presentation. It doesn't feel right and i bet it won't unless i make a full transition.

Particularly my upcoming convention I'm going to...

5. justjade

I actually love going on long outings in male presentation. It's really liberating, even if I get ma'amed all day. OK, maybe not then. Then it gets kind of tiring, and I just want to crawl into a hole somewhere and cry like a little bitch while I try to squeeze the life out of my boobs.

Anyway, even though I don't plan on making a full transition (possibly ever), I'm OK with it. I mean, some days I am. Some days, I'm not. Just depends on whether or not I remembered to take my medicine.

But this convention you're going to, is it one where you'll be cosplaying?

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I'll be female all day. Going as my Aigis cosplay... which if you've seen my outfit plus my advancement in feminine appearance, I'm quite confident.

No its not a specific cosplay convention but there will be a ton there. It's PAX east.

But as much as i like the opportunity to present female all day it's the bathroom thing that gets me.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I had the same issue. Didn't pack, didn't pass 100%. Didn't use an stp.

Lately, basically been using nothing but men's room. And for me, the key was just pushing in, finding a stall, and acting like I belong.

I think you'll find the average person doesn't care who's in the bathroom- much less so in a men's room. And for future reference, yes, I have an stp. No it's not consistent and I'm not at the urinal- not inconspicuous enough to work.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After looking up what PAX East is, I think you'd be fine in either restroom. Have confidence and walk in as if you belong, and you're not likely to have problems. I'm certain you already know this, but geeks of all varieties tend to be quite accepting of LGBT people (possibly at least partially because we've got some prominent LGBT people in relatively recent history of technology)

9. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't pass, don't do it. In West Virginia, it could be dangerous.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll go to either one. If I feel like I am passing well that day, I'll go to the men's bathroom, otherwise, I'll use the women's. I don't have a STP, so I just go in the stalls. I just go in and get into a stall, wash my hands and leave. Nobody have ever asked me any questions before.

I would just say to do what makes you feel most comfortable.

11. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd love to go to PAX or E3, I'm jelly! :3

But just use the mens, it'll be rare that you find someone who gives a crap who's in there. :slight_smile:

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, this is true. Guys don't give a shit who goes into the bathroom... for the most part.

Also looking forward to it. Hope they talk about Persona 5... but enough derailing a serious thread.

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

They don't and it's great. Like when you're in a men's room, it's like you gotta get in and do business under a deadline before you've gotta, like, face a penis guillotine or something.

I've never understood why women's restrooms are like some social center. Like...why are you gossiping in a place full of shit?

14. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Because a lot of what they say is shit? :slight_smile:
    [I REALLY hate gossip!]

15. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:roflmao:

16. anonym

anonym Guest

The thing I have always hated about women's toilets, particularly at school, college or uni is how there is always some group of girls 'hanging out' in there making it uncomfortable. It was like it was their bathroom and they got to police everyone that went in or out. School and college toilets were always a place for bullying to take place. I don't know if it was like that in the guys?

17. justjade

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I realize that there may be laws regarding restroom usage, like if you're anatomically female, you can't use the men's room or whatever. However, I don't even know where I'd find that out.

I mean, yeah, I know that in general, guys really don't care who's in the restroom with them. The women's restroom, on the other hand, yeah, chicks like to hang out and talk in the bathrooms, which I think is really fucking weird. Not only that, but a few times, while I was out presenting male, I used the women's room, and the lady who was next to me washing her hands gave me an uneasy look, like "Are you even supposed to be in here?" That's how I interpreted it anyway. She could have just been like, "Is that a guy or a girl?" or, "I would say something to be friendly, but I don't like lesbians."

I really don't know how well I pass, and it's kind of scary. I think, though, that if I was to use the men's room, I'd do it somewhere where no one knows me, or at least where it's very unlikely I'll run into anyone I know.