1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best places to find girl clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JennyKeys, Apr 9, 2014.

1. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I recently started taking steps to appear more feminine and got myself a few things at Walmart, but I'm wanting to get more typical girls' clothes. What stores have you all found that are the best place to shop for women's cothing/accessories? (It doesn't help that I grew up in a house with all males, so I don't even know where to begin looking :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

2. LOHAC

Out Status:
    A few people
    it depends on where you live, try JC Penny's or shopko. I'm not that feminine either but i find some really cute stuff there :slight_smile:

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    eBay has been amazing for me! If you know what your size is, you can get clothes delivered and they're cheap. :slight_smile:

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though I'm a guy, I do love fashion... Plus nearly all of my friends are girls...

What is your build and style? I'll undoubtedly have recommendations. :slight_smile:

Also, if you aren't out, is this just for home wear or for public (i.e., does it need to be androgynous?)?

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This x 1000

6. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm kinda short (okay, really short), and a bit pudgy but only around the midsection/thighs. I've just been wearing stuff around my own place for now and been changing into t-shirts/jeans to go out. But yeah, I'm looking for just straight up, unabashedly girly stuff~

7. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

eBay simply because of anonymity and ease. Good luck shopping :wink:

8. theoryso

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    try going around to see if anything feminine pops out

9. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, my sister says:
    Forever 21, Anthropologie, American Eagle, Free People, Gap and Kate Spade.

10. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Free People has really small clothing sizes as do most popular brands you will have better luck at a store like target, JcPenneys or Macys.

I dont know how well you pass but if you are worried about being "outed" or discriminated against try finding another girl (or pre trans guy works extremely well) to go shopping with they can take the clothing you want to try on ( if they are a transdude you can take their clothing) and switch clothing stacks right before you go in the dressing room. I did this with my friend in Macy's and she got to try on prom dresses and to look at jewelry. This doesn't work that well in stores that only market female clothing such as forever21.

Also if you are looking for large quantities for a cheap price try stores like savers or goodwill.

Go to Claires (Icing) or forlove21 (branch of forever21) for jewelry

11. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I just go shopping at various department stores. But I'm 32; it depend what your tastes are. Oh yeah, and your budget! Yonkers has really cute stuff. I typically wear misses skinny bootcut or flare jeans (flares really help downplay your foot size!) but you gotta know how to tuck your junk. Tops I typically wear are cute misses little tees (patterns or solids but not graphic tees unless I find one SUPER CUTE! I actually have a more androgynous body than I'd thought, so the tops I find that are slightly taken in under the arms (hourglass-like) fit my body EXACTLY! YAY!! And my choice in jeans actually show more feminine hips; no fabric bunch-ups at the hip.

12. InfectedGenes

Out Status:
    Family only
    Alternative clothin stores the people in there dont care what you look like and who you are and have some great androgynous/female looking male clothes if you were looking for something inbetween. Also they have alot of bandananas which are good for covering Eve(see what I did there) apples.

13. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    old navy, the gap, la senza, any of thoughs you could shop in

14. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends upon the area that you're in, of course, as far as how you'll be treated in stores. It also depends upon your appearance and aura. If you walk in giving off the "oh my God, this is taboo!" vibe, people will pick up on it. Honestly, if you *never* pass at this point, I would go to a mall in the next town or something and just walk in, find the nicest looking girl in there and say: "I'm transgendered; can you help me pick out cute girl stuff?" They'll be a little shocked but chances are they will get excited because to them, it's like: human dress up doll!! Even guys do this, honestly... I cannot tell you how many macho cismale sales clerks have been like "dude, try this - this will make your shoulders look bigger" etc.... Or how many girls have lamented when I tried to buy something in women's and NOTHING fit my shoulders (oh, the irony...).

Whatever you do, do it proudly or people will walk all over you simply because they can. Don't be a wounded animal or everyone will smell the blood - that's my motto.

Good luck! :wink:

15. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Good advice Gates. I routinely rock my misses attire with my unmistakably masculine face and (lessening) hair. I'm actually debating now; to beard, or nor to beard!

A long as you're confident in what you're doing, people are generally going to pick up on that. Shocked though I was in my locale, and my workplace, people are generally okay with me.

16. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I think they key is confidence. Try and act like none of it bothers you. :slight_smile:

Also, consider that they're going to want to help you, because they're going to want your sales! :slight_smile:

17. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not too shy about looking through/buying girl things cause back in the day I got over it when I started buying MLP merch, though it's been a while so it was still a bit awkward :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm hoping that once I come out to my best lady friend she could take me shopping and help me out cause I'm pretty much clueless at the moment.

18. PeytonRose

If you're short on cash (like most and me) check out places like AM Vets, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. LOTS of stuff and very cheap. I went there with a friend and found $60 worth of stuff to upgrade my all guy wardrobe into a bigender wardrobe (though the guy stuff may end up going away at some point minus a few select things.). Also found a cheap purse and wallet there as well.

As far as everything else, when I started shopping for myself I managed to get enough courage to buy my stuff from Target and Walmart for the most part. I try to go to Target over Walmart for the sole purpose that I try to avoid giving Walmart more money than I have to, but I've found some REALLY cute things at both places and my favorite eye shadow color pallet comes from Walmart. I haven't really gotten much from anyplace else to be honest. Last time I went to Hot Topic left a bad taste in my mouth when I picked up a girl's shirt, walked around with it and put it back because I couldn't find anything for their BOGO sale. Manager looked at me, then the shirt, back to me and said, "Well, that's a girl's shirt anyways." I haven't been back in since.

Sorry, got off topic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you're looking for cheap, cute, and easy, try Walmart, Target, DEFINITELY AM Vets, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. If you're not quite where you can buy in public yet (because there have been many times that I've talked myself out of cute outfits because I was more concerned with how others saw me and what they would think) check out the stores on EBay and I'm sure you can find some good and cute stuff.