1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I really transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SamThes, Apr 10, 2014.

1. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I'm the only one who can really say who I am, but I just thought I'd give some details and ask, since some days I start to doubt whether I'm actually transgender.

So... for several years before I even started questioning my gender identity, I used to have breakdowns about the role of women and how it would never fit me, even though I'm biologically female. I didn't feel like I had any of the "feminine" traits that other women seemed to have. I took personality tests to try to figure myself out, and got a result that's extremely rare, especially in women. And my roommate in college told me that I have a very masculine communication style.

Anyway, about six months ago, I realized that I absolutely hate having female breasts. I feel most comfortable when I can hide them as much as possible, although I was cursed with breasts that are difficult to hide. I also prefer wearing guy's gym shorts and large hoodies that could pass for either gender. I absolutely despise most things that are traditionally girly, like makeup, shopping, doing hair, etc. I always have. So lately I've stopped doing makeup more, and my family has noticed that and started pointing it out (they don't know that I'm questioning, nor do I have any intention of telling them, at least until I can move out). And there are some days when I can't stand other body parts, but I know that I'll never change them because my religion apparently is against sex changes. :dry:

I feel more like a guy most of the time, but I know that no one in my family, or even anyone that I know in real life would accept that, so I'm okay with accepting being called by feminine pronouns and stuff. I wouldn't mind being called by masculine ones, either, though.

So, am I really transgender, or am I just maybe a more masculine girl?

2. InfectedGenes

Out Status:
    Family only
    Ok three things you can do:

1. Say out loud (if you can) I am a Girl and then the same but Boy, and see how they make you feel. Did it feel more truthful saying the first or second one?, Did one make you feel better than the other?

2. Disregard everything you know about gender and presentation and gender roles and sex etc. Put yourself into a mental vacuum of Social Ignorance (so to speak) than ask your self Would I be Content, Happy or Miserable if I lived the rest of my life as Girl (and then the opposite after). (Thank you Cassie for that one)

3. Finally say to yourself "considering all the evidence information and knowledge of memories, feelings, ideas and emotions which is more likely? That I am Trans* or That I am Cis?"

3. cava

Don't forget that there are options in between as well. You could be gender-fluid, bi-gender, etc.
    I hope that doesn't cause more confusion, I just don't want you to mistakenly think that there are only "boy" and "girl" options. You could be both, or neither.

4. InfectedGenes

Out Status:
    Family only
    Yes that's a very good point there are in between options that you can consider as well, sorry I presumed that was taken as read. So you can still ask the questions I put up there just add an "N/A" and/or "Both" Option to them.

5. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice. Those were some good questions for me to sit and ask myself. I think I can rule out the idea that I'm cis, because I felt like I was lying and felt all weird when I tried saying "I am a girl." And the thought of spending the rest of my life as a girl... I wouldn't be too happy with that. I'm also pretty sure I'm not agender. The "N/A" option didn't feel right, either. Bigender... I'd be happy with that, but I don't really think that's me. So I guess I really am trans*. Thanks for helping me with that one!