1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting ready to come out to a few friends

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WillowRose, Apr 11, 2014.

1. WillowRose

I guess I must be serious about this. Before now, I've just told a few advisor-type people (therapist, GP, pastor) that I was "exploring the possibility" that I am trans*. But as I've "explored" for the past several weeks, I've remembered more and more thoughts from my past that I might be happier as a woman. I first wanted to look into it twenty years ago, and now that I've opened Pandora's box back up I'm more and more sure every day.

So now I'm getting ready to tell two or three long-time friends -- people who I'm pretty sure will be supportive -- that I'm trans*. And I realized today, as I was sending out emails to set up meeting with them, that I am no longer "exploring" -- When I see them I'm going to say "I AM trans" without any maybes.

And a month from now I'm going to see my GP again and I'm going to ask her to start me on hormones.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me on this forum -- reading about them has really helped clarify and solidify my thoughts!

2. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations and way to be brave and be yourself. I will pray that those conversations go well. You are an incredible human being. :slight_smile:

3. WillowRose

(( hugs ))

4. WillowRose

One down. Went well. He didn't blink an eye, and is going to be really supportive.

Of course, I knew that he and his wife would be supportive. That's why I called them first!

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations! :grin:

And that's good, just 2 more to go! <3

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!!! :grin: Very glad to hear that he and his wife took it well. :thumbsup:
    Keep us updated!

7. Skyline

Congratulations and good luck in telling the other one or two friends! :slight_smile:

8. WillowRose

Another one down. This time, a former coworker, cis/lesbian, who came out later in life. Wonderful conversation! She's put me in touch with a trans man who I hope will help me connect with local support resources, and she gave me some good pointers about things that are helpful to do/say in early coming-out-to friends conversations.

Yesterday I was cranky because I had to adjust my expectations about how long it's going to take for some things (hormones!), but today I'm back in a good head-space where I feel supported and encouraged.

9. PeytonRose

Congratulations!! Doesn't it feel better to just tell people? Not the easiest thing in the world but after its done the feeling of liberation is incredible

10. WillowRose

It feels great to tell people, and it feels great to hear them assure me of their support. Also, talking about it out loud is helping me to think about what I'm coming out *as*. :icon_wink

11. peace2day

Congrats! It's a great feeling, reminds me of when I first told someone! 'Out and PROUD' :wink: