1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this kind of thinking common in trans kids?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThisIsTheKenneth, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok, so required backstory: when I was a kid, I didn't like being a girl. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite thing and I had other stuff going on so I went with it. When I started er...developing my mom made me wear a training bra :eek: and gave me the whole puberty spiel. But when she described menstruating she said something like "When a girl becomes a woman..." and my 8 year old self got really happy, and I thought getting my period would magically make me a girl. I was really impatient but when it finally happened, it obviously didn't go like I thought it would and I was miserable and hid it for a few months before someone found out. :icon_redf

My question: Is thinking this or things like this common for transgender kids?

2. laurenc

laurenc Guest

yes thinking like that is very common . not everyone knows who they are at age 5 . I never hated my body or typical boy things but I am not a boy . why sould stereotypes define someone?

3. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't think about my gender much when I was a kid either and I was really excited (for whatever reason) to get my period too. But then once it happened... blegh. I managed to hide mine for 6 months (I win). And my mom only found out because I needed to state whether I'd had mine or not to the doctor. Still don't get why anyone would want to talk about their period anyways.

4. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    SIX months? How would that even happen?! Mine got found out mainly because my grandma is an extremely nosy person and wouldn't let me do my own laundry.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. I was the same way. I wanted to be a proper girl. And I'd obtain that if I wore the right clothes, watched or said the right things, or had my period/bigger breasts.

I mean, you're told every day that you're one gender and that's what you're 'supposed to be'. And even if you've got this vague sense that no, you're not a woman, it's like there's this urge to conform and learn the secrets to fitting in.

I don't remember hiding mine when it first happened (I remember wanting to happen since I knew it was coming and I'd be 'grown up' if it did, but once it happened, it was like 'oh my god, what is this?') but I'd never ask for things like tampons or pads. I'd actually steal them from my mother if I ran out because I was too ashamed and embarrassed to acknowledge I needed them. And if my mom ever outright asked me if I needed them, I wouldn't refer to them by name. And I'd hide signs of it happening as the years passed.

#5 drwinchester, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first time I got my period I couldn't get my underwear clean using only the bathroom sink. So I stole the laundry detergent, did the best I could, and then just hid that pair of underwear in the back of my closet. I think it's still there to this day.

What can I say? I've got skills.

7. Tetra

I hid mine for like 2 months I believe. Eventually my mom found out (at the doctor) when I had no choice but to say it. I still hate talking about it to this day, 5 years later. Not even with friends, because it just doesn't feel right.

8. Niko

Well I remember my mom and sister would always talk about their periods..and I'd always be like PFFFT sucks for you, I'm never going to get that, and they'd be all oh just you wait, and I'd be like I don't think so >:|.

Well...when it did come I freaked out and my mom helped me through it. I thought it was going to last one day, but died when I heard a week (or more). After that I didn't want anyone to know I was on it, probably because I felt ashamed of it. So I tried to take care of that business incredibly sneaky and quietly, of course it wasn't fool proof even though I thought it was and that probably lasted like a year.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember being deeply disturbed by mine and extremely anxious and panicked, but for some reason I got a "welcome to adulthood" speech and that weird shit moms do when their kid gets the curse for the first time. Bleck.

10. From what I hear, it is. It's really funny you brought up a training bra. When I was a kid, my mom kept trying to force me in one, but when I got to school I would throw it in the bathroom's garbage can lol! She spent so much money on training bras >.< And the first time Aunt Flo came to visit, everyone in the house knew, because I screamed "I'M DYING!" from the bathroom. Anytime anyone had ever tired to discuss a menstrual cycle, I ran away screaming with my hands over my ears. I knew it happened, just didn't know how haha

11. Manta

So many great stories! My experience was much less entertaining. although when it comes to turning into a girl... when I was ten, my family moved (three times), and when we were settling in I decided I was tired of being weird and made up a new personality for myself (very feminine, in all the stereotypical ways) and kept it up until all the mannerisms, etc became natural. The years it took to get everything down (mostly) didn't do anything but augment my weirdness, however :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The first time I had my period was in seventh grade and I just used toilet paper. The second time I went to my mom and pretended it was the first. She handed me a box of tampons and said "read the label. School already explained it to you, right?" then drew two stick figures on a piece of paper, gave one a penis and said "so sex is when this goes into the hole." My older sister, who hadn't had her's yet, was complaining loudly from the other side of the door about us having a secret conversation, so then my mom sent me off to take care of myself to tell my sister she just gave me "The Talk." Lamest talk EVER.

12. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow that does sound pretty lame! My mom basically told me never ever to "do it" outside of marriage and that "boys only want one thing" (without once mentioning what "it" was that all the boys wanted) until I was like 13 then she mumbled some vague thing about condoms that I didn't understand. Then my school did the whole abstinence-only thing too so yeah the internet and other kids were basically my teachers.

13. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    lol, i know this is an old thread and im not a girl but when i was a kid (like three or four years ago) my mom told me about my u know what and where it goes and the first thing i said was "well why didnt i have a kitty cat like you mommy?" so she said "because god made you that way" and my anwser was "well god made me wrong, i must be defected, i want to see a doctor so i can have a kitty cat." lol, i was a messed up kid.

14. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

OMG I was convinced I'd wear a bra when I was a kid. Then I actually wore one and hated it.

My period story: I was in severe denial. There was blood all over my underwear and I was ready to faint, but I was like "NOPE IT CAN'T BE A PERIOD, I DID NOT JUST GET MY PERIOD (!)"

....my mom quickly shattered that illusion....

15. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope. I'm really into medical stuff and knew a lot from the start.
    Didn't want anything to happen because I knew it was all going to suck giant freaking monkey balls.

16. Acm

Acm Guest

Part of me was in denial that I would ever go through puberty (I almost thought I would have a male puberty), and the rest of me was excited because I wanted to fit in with all of my friends that had periods and wore bras. Of course when it actually happened I didn't like it :dry:

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i just thought i was actually biologically male with a dick and everything and everyone else was just lying to me

and even though i know how a dick looks like now i still think people might be wrong

lol

longest stage of denial ever

18. Acm

Acm Guest

Me too, I was worried that the doctor had mislabeled me and no one realized that I was actually a boy. I worried about how my mom would feel if she found out :confused: