1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM Insecure about height

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hii, Apr 12, 2014.

1. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been taking steps to transition (increasing muscle mass, growing out eyebrows a bit), but I keep getting the nagging doubts over my height. It's annoying because I was very ok with my height before- when I was younger all the kids used to compare their heights but I'd just say, "what's so bad about being short? Short people live longer."

But the idea of being a man and 5'3... I'm afraid I would stick out and wouldn't be able to be attractive to anyone at that height. I know it's not that bad but as much as I try to rationalize my way out of it, the thought keeps coming back.

2. Skyline

My height is one of the biggest things I worry about in trying to pass as female. I'm 6'3", and I've never really seen any woman quite that tall... would anyone really believe I was female?

I know I'm not in your shoes, but personally I don't think it's quite all that bad to be a short guy when compared to being a super tall girl x_x

At least 5'3" guys are actually heard of.

Um... of course, I'm not trying to make light of your situation. Just saying it could be worse ^_^;

3. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm 5ft 3" too and it bothers me. My shoe size does as well because I'm a UK women's 5 so I can't wear men's shoes :frowning2: When I'm out if I see a cis guy who I think is about my height I try to walk past them to see if they're that much taller and I have come across a few guys my height or an inch taller and one guy shorter than me! Asian and Chinese men in particular are quite short and of a similar build to me so I don't feel as bad as I used to.

The thing that upsets me the most is imagining how I would look as a 5ft 3" guy in a suit...yeah laughable :frowning2: You can get these things to put in your shoes to make you taller (google them) but IMO that would give people the impression of being insecure about my height and although I am, I don't want people to know that. I have learned over the years that letting other people pick up on your insecurities can make you a vulnerable target for bullies. I'm just going to pretend like I don't care.

4. Tetra

I've seen 6'3 women, skyline! In fact, my mother is actually quite close to that height herself.

I'm about average at 5'9, so I don't worry about it that often, but I agree. When I was younger I used to think it was better to be short. I'd rather look up at people than look down, but now that I'm older I'd definitely rather be tall.

5. Sarcastic Luck

At least you're not 4'11" like me.

6. RainbowMan

I have too - I was watching the UConn NCAA women's tournament at a sports bar (it was on sound and was what was on), and they announced a 6'5" player! Definitely uncommon, but certainly not unheard of for really tall women to exist :slight_smile:

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    5'3'' isn't bad. I know some guys around that height. They don't seem to have any problems finding people. :slight_smile:

I also went to school with a girl who was insanely tall, definitely over 6 foot. She's now married and has a child.

There's nothing to worry about here. :slight_smile:

8. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. :slight_smile: You know what? I think what actually makes me insecure over my height is that I've met a lot of OTHER people concerned about their height. People really shouldn't have these sort of prejudices about shortness/tallness though. Humanity should be above that by now.

9. Skyline

I guess you guys are right. It's not horribly uncommon, is it?

This is soooo true. Height doesn't make a difference and it's actually kind of cool to have so much variety in the world. :icon_bigg

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm pretty average for a cisguy (5'6") but I'll have you know, Michael J. Fox was 5'4". And I imagine he did pretty well for himself.

I mean, if you're really worried about it, you could always wear lifts. But there's enough short guys out there that you're not going to look out of place.

11. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Im 5' 9" and my height bothers me and I dont know why. my shoe size on the other hand is perfect im a us 11.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm easily amused today xD Some people will always pick on differences.

I'm 5'5" and my shoe size is only UK men's 6 (EU 40). It's a little upsetting that my feet seem small for my height. I've seen UK men's 5 (EU 38) online. I actually wore them myself until last year when my feet stopped growing. It's a bit harder to find, yet it is possible. I read that the average height of european men was 5'7" in the middle ages. As you can imagine there would be more guys around our heights back then as well. If 5'3" guys charged into battle in full armour... think what you are capable of! You don't have to do that, but you can realise that small guys can be a terror to behold. It's an advantage when people underestimate you. Now I wonder what the average height of Samurai was!

I thought about lifts myself. My shoes do enough for me. I personally think I look like a total tool in a suit. Thankfully I've only had to do that a few times. It's better when it is fitted, and that can be expensive. I'm still a little insecure, but nowhere near as bad as I used to be. If you keep it up then you will rock being a short guy. It is true what you said about bullies. They're like piranhas when you give off signals of weakness. I'd love to hand them a longsword and try not to laugh as they perform flashy moves they saw on TV. Yet you must not underestimate anyone. However I have to be a better person. Bullies are cowards with no sense of honour!

13. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thought better of pointing that out myself. :lol:

#13 hii, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  14. BraydonsLover

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I don't think you should worry about it. Hormones can make u taller, but only a little. And my fiancé is trans, (ftm) and is actually quite a bit shorter than me. and im 5'6. personally height really just isn't an issue for me. and I have seen MANY MANY shorter men out there. don't sweat it! ull be able to pass. :slight_smile:

15. Niko

There are guys out there who are 5'3". Then there's always a surgery where you can extend your height by like an inch... o-o seems kind of scary and risky though.

16. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I come from a family of short people. My grandfather was just barely 5', and my aunt is 4'1". I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should be fine, and height is just one of those things that doesn't change much other than shorter with age.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 4'11" and my height has made me concerned about passing for a long time. But then I take into account that I have a friend who is the same height as me and he seems content. If you feel down about your height, try shoe lifts.

18. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every time I start to feel insecure about my height I remember that Bruno Mars is only 5'5" and then I feel better.

There are shorter cis guys out there, I mean it sucks to be part of the minority, but my experience has been that if you are confident in yourself and don't like it's a big deal (joking about it helps in my opinion if you are comfortable with that) then the vast majority won't think it's a big deal either.

19. Axxel

Axxel Guest

Just going to throw it out there that I dated a 5"2/5"3 cis guy so the very short men are definitely out there. Also, for the trans lady who was worried, I'm something like 6"1/6"2 now and biologically female. :slight_smile:

20. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good confidence boost. Btw, nice job killing two birds with one stone (post)! :icon_bigg