1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas on transgender book character?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by madison elena, Apr 13, 2014.

1. madison elena

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I’m 13, straight, fully support LGBT rights, and come from one of those conservative Southern US states. (I’m a Christian, as well.) I feel like an anomaly, because my mom’s family aren’t really on par with all of this. My mom, on the bright side, is the one who taught me that God loves all of His children.

My point is I just get so irritated by the people who live around me sometimes, and their backward thinking about what should just be equality among us all. There is nobody who will listen to me about this subject (my mom is always at work), and actually talk with me. I know it’s one-sided going to a LGBT site about an LGBT issue, but also wanted to just say, because the South is always getting that look of disgust: there are good people here. We are just overshadowed by the more vocal hate-preachers - who are often literally preachers. All Christians aren't bad and anti-gay, either. I'm hoping to do something about this, and since I've always been drawn toward writing, a story is what I'm going for.

Another long story on my inspiration for this character... My brother has always been a little on the girly side: he has mainly friends who are girls, had an interest in fashion design a year or two ago, and always wants to spend time with my girl cousins and I when we do Girls' Night Out, and once had my mom buy him a red strapless dress. I don't know what my brother is, transgender or queer or simply confused, but he's my inspiration for this character. (Although I'd never admit that to him, obvi.)

It’s accepted in our society for girls to act like boys (that is, Western society). We can wear pants and sneakers, play sports, and not act girly: this is okay, at least for us children. But what I've come to notice is boys can’t be girls. Probably coming from the caveman ideology that women are inferior to men, it’s simply taboo. I want to draw attention to this, because it seriously annoys me.

Since I've never encountered a transgender person (my brother is a kid too, so he hasn't become sure of himself or anything), I just want to know some rules and guidelines, so I won't write anything ignorant, rude, and/or stupid. And that is ironic because to me, writing this comment is ignorant and rude because I’m basically saying I don't have a clue about transgender people... Like I said, I'm aiming to change that.

Any comments would be appreciated, although I wouldn't be surprised if you fell asleep reading this REALLY long post.
    :kiss:(!)

I found the banana or whatever it is funny... lol.

#1 madison elena, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Kat 5

Well, it isn't ignorant or stupid that you are asking questions. You are just trying to further your knowledge.
    You found a transgender person right here. Well. I think you did. I'm still a little uncertain.
    I tried writing on my own before. I was terrible. Godspeed, Madison.

3. Orange Bananas

First of all: Bananas! (!)
    Second of all: I write LGBT stuff too!

Now, how to deal with trying to make a transgender character. I luckily have a handy list of steps! (!)

1. Look up real stories of people who are transgender, especially those in a similar environment as your character.
    2. Pay close attention to how they describe dysphoria.
    3. Write a practice paragraph-short story where they experience dysphoria.
    4. Figure out exactly how transition and passing as another gender work.
    5. Do additional research and practice for other areas you aren't clear on.
    6. Go through the typical writing process! If you can, post drafts of your story here for critique and/or the final version. (!!)

4. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't make being trans the character's entire existence.

5. madison elena

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm not going to do that. If there's one thing I know, it's that somebody isn't just one thing. I was just asking for any tips on this aspect of one of my characters. Like, is there anything out of line that would be considered rude by trans people, stuff like that. But thanks!

(!) (!) (!) (!) (!) BANANA! (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

6. Orange Bananas

I'd say don't as the author insult trans people. Transphobic characters can freak out and be insulting, but try and show that your personal opinion is that it's okay to be trans through your main character and possibly a few supportive friends/family members. Other than that, make it a realistic portrayal of a trans person's day-to-day life.

(!!)(!)(!!)(!)BANANA(!)(!!)(!)(!!)

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have about 14 years of experience writing FtM characters and about a year of writing MtF characters (currently working on a novel with both - it was supposed to be more about the guy but I fell in love with the girl so, she took over!). I'd reiterate the advice of not making being trans* the entire focus but also suggest that you write from the heart. I've learned to let go of control and just follow where the characters want to take me. Maybe this is through endearment (like when I write kids) or maybe through pain (like when I write angsty relationships) or maybe through love. These emotions can be powerful forces of creativity. Aside from that, are there specific questions you have? Do you understand what it would feel like to be in a body that feels wrong to you and the potential ramifications of that?