1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight disappointment

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WillowRose, Apr 14, 2014.

1. WillowRose

Just heard from my GP that, while she encourages me to pursue hormone therapy, she doesn't think she's got sufficient expertise to be the doc who prescribes and monitors the process. So, I guess I get to go doctor-shopping. :dry:

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. You could also contact UKY's LGBTQ center and ask if they maintain a list of trans-friendly practitioners.

3. WillowRose

Got my referral, made my appointment.

Cue the Jeopardy "think music" for four weeks.

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job! If you have a referral for HRT from your doc or counselor, you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure to take calcium supplements!!!

5. WillowRose

I'm not expecting to get started at the first appointment. This guy is definitely going to want the WPATH-standard letter, and I'm not sure my therapist is quite ready to write one.

Fact is, while I've been sitting on this for 20 years, it's been buried so deep that it's only come up in my sessions with her in the last couple of months.

So, I'll just accept that it will all take the time it takes. Meanwhile, I'm still happier and more cheerful than I've been in years. So there's that :icon_bigg

6. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It never hurts to ask. :thumbsup:

7. WillowRose

So it turns out that I misunderstood my doc, and made the appointment with the wrong endocrinologist.

There are apparently only two endos in town who will do feminizing hormones at all. The one I had originally scheduled with has, according to my GP, a "spotty reputation" in the local medical community. I found out this morning that the other won't even schedule an initial appointment without a letter from a PhD or MD psych (neither of which I have, much less a letter from one).

So, I'm just taking this as the Universe's way of telling me to slow down, take a deep breath, and put some more time into exploring my identity and planning my transition.

Heck, if I've been sitting on this self-recognition for 20 years, I suppose I can handle a few speed-bumps in the road!

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have the right mindset! Just stay positive! :slight_smile: