1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding when it's 'shark week'

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Apr 14, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

This week I wanted to start wearing my binder properly. Up until now I have only tried it on in my room because I couldn't be bothered with the criticism from my mum. That's just something I'm going to have to get over. The problem is mainly shark week. Does anyone else find it too uncomfortable to bind at this time? If so what do you do? I am guessing once I'm on t and no longer have the shark week it won't be an issue but I've got to wait at least 2 years before then I think :frowning2:

2. Calix

I think I'm missing something. How does this shark week effect you wearing your binder?

3. Axxel

Axxel Guest

You could try layering different shirts for now?

Calix, some people get very painful chests during shark week.

4. Skyline

I'm with Calix. What is shark week and why does it matter? :/

5. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Menstruation. Some people's breasts get sore when it happens.

6. Techno Kid

Shark week is code for a FAAB person's "Period/Time of the month"
    Sorry guys, just wanted to clear that up.

7. Evil Kitten

I'm guessing shark week means that time of the month.

8. Calix

Oooooh, Now I understand. I'm on a contraceptive pill that stops them for me luckily. If that's the case why not just wait until it's past if you're worried? If you're wearing it around the house you can always take it off if it starts getting painful.

9. anonym

anonym Guest

:roflmao: sorry, I thought it was kind of evident what shark week was. Yeah axxel, you've got it. I will rephrase the question. Does anyone find it uncomfortable wearing a binder when it's that time of month?

10. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

Hehe I was reading this and I kept asking myself, "what does discovery channel have to do with chest binding??"

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever shark week (I call it the curse) takes place, I bind anyway for the most part. If there's one less thing for me to notice, then I usually feel a little better. For me I don't feel uncomfortable for the most part unless I go into overkill mode like I did in high school and wore a binder 12+ hours a day until it passed.

Ugh, it was a major pain in the start of the year when I had the curse plague me for 3 months straight because of "the pill" to keep the monster away.

12. I wear my binder every day now, regardless of the week.
    It hurts a bit to put it on when my chest is tender, but all in all it's not so bad once I'm in.

HOWEVER, when I first got my binder before it broke in a little bit it hurt pretty bad to bind when I was so sore.

I took some over the counter anti-inflammatory meds (like ibuprofen) and was pretty okay.

I'd still recommend binding as little as possible if it hurts a lot. (In my case this would mean binding to go to class, but taking it off right after when I get home etc.)

13. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks I'll try the ibuprofen and leave off binding until next week if it takes some time to break in any way. I was just worried that I'd start presenting as male and be out as trans yet have random boobs appearing for a week each month which would just confuse people, as if explaining that you're trans isn't confusing enough for most :-/

14. Axxel

Axxel Guest

You could try a sports support system. Squishes the chest flatter without all that pain.