1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bras and Boobies and Such

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JennyKeys, Apr 14, 2014.

1. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I've been wanting to try wearing a bra, maybe even stuffing it when I'm at home alone just to be able to see myself with breasts. I've never actually worn a bra though, not even back in my wacky experimental teen years, and I have no idea where to start. Any tips on where to find bras, how to size one's self, how to effectively stuff a bra and with what?

2. cava

For U.S. bra sizes:
    -Measure your ribcage, just underneath where your boobs would be. Add a few inches (some sites will tell you up to 5, but I don't recommend more than 2 or 3. My measurement is just over 29 inches and I wear a 32).
    -Measure the fullest part of your chest (or I guess skip this step if you don't have much tissue and plan on stuffing anyway).
    -Find the difference between your band size (ribcage + 2 or 3 inches) and your bust (boobies!) measurement. A difference of one inch is an A, a difference of two inches is a B, and so on. For this, you'll want to decide how busty you'd like to look based on what would fit best with your frame. You might have to try a few on to see what works.

I've never stuffed a bra, so I can't give any tips there. Just don't use tissues, that's way too middle school. And you can start just looking in some place like Target (with a variety of stuff and minimal dressing room supervision) if you're hoping to avoid weird looks for now. That way you can try several sizes and figure out what you like best.

Here is a video of a pretty lady in vintage lingerie giving tips as far as how to make sure your bra fits properly (note that some tips will only apply once you have some tissue after hormones and whatnot): What Katie Did's A Guide to a Perfect Fitting Bra - YouTube

3. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the advice :3
    Do you know where I can get one of those body tape measure things?

4. PeytonRose

Most craft stores SHOULD have them.

I know that when I started out I guessed. I had a little something to work with at first so I tried an A (HA!). I pretty much just used the guess and check method but think* I have it down pretty much solid at this point.

I wear a 38C or B but with a catch. I bought myself some bra extenders (clearance at Target for only like $5 for 4!) and some implants (again, Target clearance for $12 but I think they got another brand and upped the price back to $16). I'm comfortable and feel amazing in them :slight_smile:

As far as wear to buy: Target, Walmart, and Sears are where I've purchased all of my underwear from as well as clothes. Hope this helps!

5. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oooh, I didn't know they had bra inserts like that at Target. I'll have to stop by there or Walmart soon and check out what they've got. Thanks! :3

6. PeytonRose

I've only really found them at Target (the implants at least). Definitely check them out! I'm a bit on the "thicker" side of the tracks I guess so the extenders really help out!

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2014 at 03:23 AM ----------

Oh!

And you're welcome! Glad I can help! :slight_smile:

7. Stacy in MA

If you plan on stuffing, I would make sure to get a full coverage bra - it gives you a much more convincing shape when stuffed. With balconette and lots of push up bras the stuffing can bulge out the top.

As far a stuffing goes the easiest is to just get fiber-fill from the craft store and place it in the cups. If you can manage to find an underwire bra with sort of formed cups and a loose lining you may be able to cut a small hole in the edge of the lining and stuff the fiber-fill though there (sewing it back up after). You can also cut off the legs of pantyhose and fill them with birdseed or rice. Water balloons also work but have an obviously big mess potential. You might find that stuffing with something with a little heft feels better to you.

If you enjoy this, you can always invest in breast forms later - they can feel and look very nice.

Best of luck - hope you are happy with the results!

8. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, I went out and searched all over, but couldn't find a single tape measure. Target was especially sad, they didn't even have a craft section at all. Gonna try walmart and hope.

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2014 at 09:04 PM ----------

Oh my god I'm an idiot. I spent hours looking through craft stores with no luck, and 5 minutes in Walmart I find a tape measure for under 2 dollars...

>///<

9. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yay, I bought my first bra today and am wearing it now ^-^

The only inserts they had at Target were these tiny things, so I just stuffed it with some socks for now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But it still feels super nice :3

10. PeytonRose

They do don't they? :wink:

11. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I keep catching myself smiling every time I glance down at my chest ^-^

Well, if there was any doubt that I'm trans, I think it's gone now~

12. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    good for you, just make sure the band size is right for you! even a tape measure works well. if your a 36 then a b cup looks good, a 34 is also good for a b cup, and a 38 is great for a c cup bra. but make sure you get a full cup bra. that way it will shape better.

13. setnyx

online women's catalogues have mastectomy bras, some for double mastectomy. inserts included.

14. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    get the weighted ones with beads in them that way you will feel the weight, and then decide which size cup you want to be. sometimes though large is not always best

15. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Awesome girl!! :grin:

16. cava

Extenders are not a super good idea. They effectively change the shape of the bra and the straps won't sit right and all kinds of bad stuff. If you need extra band room, go up a band size and down a cup size. A well-fitting bra band should feel firm, and not dig in or ride up. Digging in means it's too tight (probably duh) and riding up means it's too loose.

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    The one I bought is a 32C. (Because I think that's about average?) :slight_smile:

18. Skyline

I do this all the time.

In fact, I never really thought of going further with it. This thread has kind of inspired me to see what else I can try.

19. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    good for you, myself i wear a 38 bra looked first at a B cup but didnt look proportional to me, so now i wear a C cup instead, also got some forms to and it makes and feels alot better
    entenderes dont work. all they do is throw the cup placement off wack