1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes that work (FtM)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gates, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings EC people! As some of you have figured out by now, I'm somewhat of a fashion-addict. :lol: I think that this is especially because dressing well with a body that doesn't always like to cooperate takes extra effort. So, I decided to start this thread where people can post about clothing that works for them to help render a more masculine/ androgynous appearance while in a female body. Of course, we all have different body types and styles, so it may be useful to provide some information (only to your comfort level!!) so that people have a way to compare/ contrast. Hopefully, this will be of some use!

Since I'm the OP, I'll go first... :dry::lol:

Underwear: This has been a huge problem for me in the past. I *can* wear boy's underwear but the fabrics and patterns are understandably juvenile in most cases. Women's underwear in "boy brief," etc. also don't work very well because woman apparently have butts... and I do not. :roflmao: So, I've gone through every imaginable kind of underwear and have finally found some that fit almost perfectly: American Eagle Classic Length Performance Trunks. Because they're designed for athletic wear, they don't have this "bulging" void that many other men's underwear have. The fabric is awesome and nothing like the cotton briefs that made me feel like a little boy and they run to an XS!! My only real complaint with these is that the colors are a little too vibrant and that they don't offer red ones. :tears:

About me:
    Height: 5'6" or 168 cm
    Weight: 123 lbs or ~56 kg (trying to lose about 8 lbs or 4 kg)

2. Calix

Shirts, shirts, shirts. Wear a binder and another top/vest under and they're loose enough to look flat on your chest and are designed so your shoulder look more evident.

About Me:
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 10 stone

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But baggy clothes are so blahhh... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Calix

Shirts don't have to be baggy, In fact the closer fitting the better :slight_smile:

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I found this site for unisex underwear, but I've never bought on there

Unisex Underwear | American Apparel

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2014 at 10:01 PM ----------

What about this type of underwear?

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are a genius!! I'm ordering some!! (*hug*)(!)

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I'm a fan of a well-fitting blazer. They kind of are amazing because they do two major things -

- they shape shoulders, making them look more masculine
    - they hide a small waist, which makes curves look less dramatic

On top of that, a good blazer has several inside pockets of various size, which is awesome to have as an option because you can keep your wallet/keys/phone/etc. in your jacket and eliminate bulk from around your hips, butt, and thighs, which is visually slimming, which is fantastic.

The only con is that people don't really casually wear blazers often anymore, at least not where I live, and especially not younger men. So unless you're an author or an academic, or you're some kind of hipster, or you're going for an interview, it might stand out more than you like, depending on your location and its level of blazer normalcy.

About me:
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: ~123lbs.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

About me:
    5'6", about 200 pounds (actually been a while since I've weighed myself, think I've lost weight, tbh. My shirts are actually starting to fit...)

I dunno. I layer most of my shirts so usually, something along the lines of this: [​IMG] Helps box out frame, hide hips, and without having to buy ridiculously oversized clothing.

So most days, I'm wearing a binder, an under-shirt and then, either I'll just layer a shirt over that and be done or I'll put on an Oxford print or a dress shirt.

[​IMG]

And then, to top it off, I'll wear a leather jacket. Not best strategy when it's 70 degrees out but, eh, works out most of time.

9. anonym

anonym Guest

About underwear....I don't pack. Not yet anyway. Is it better to buy unisex than men's? I don't know if men's would fit me since I haven't tried any but definitely want to start wearing something else.

10. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Usually I hide in this really baggy black hoodie I have or else wear a really busy striped/patterned sweater that takes attention away from my actual body. I also have really small wrists so watches/bracelets hide that.

About me: 5'4" 117ish lbs

11. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:icon_bigg Let me know if you get on well with them :icon_wink

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2014 at 02:01 PM ----------

I had the same doubt and I think it's better starting with an unisex underwear but it depends from the person. Do you have a strong bottom dyphoria? If so, I don't suggest you an unisex underwear. Instead, if paking or not it's the same for you (at least at the moment) okay! Try them. Maybe you'll like them! :slight_smile:

#11 FireSmoke, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, as long as you shop boy's or buy fitted trunks, men's underwear fit just fine!

13. anonym

anonym Guest

Ok thanks :thumbsup: I didn't really know where to start with choosing men's underwear because there are different fits and obviously because we are female in body, that will depend on how they fit us.

I'm still wearing women's underwear :roflmao: Think I might start with unisex underwear since I'm still living at home. I mean I do my own laundry and everything but my mum will do her nut if I she sees men's boxers in the washing machine. She demanded to know what I'd ordered when my binder arrived and I had to lie about that.

14. justjade

I actually don't have much of a problem finding clothes that fit. My problem comes with sleeve length. Dude! I can't help it! I have short arms. I usually end up buying my shirts in the boys' department just so the sleeves won't hang halfway over my hands when I have my arms at my sides.

Another thing I hate is the graphics on t-shirts. I don't get the wholes "Affliction" thing, and I don't like Angry Birds. I've never been on a skateboard, so does that mean I just have to go with stripes and solids? I am not a billiard ball. I would like some graphics please.

I'm slowly getting out of my skinny jeans rut. No matter what I wear them with, I always end up looking girly. I like bootcut and straight leg jeans. I'm wondering, though, if perhaps skinny jeans would look better if I packed, but....I'm not sure I want to show off a dick that I don't really have, especially since I don't think I pass all that well yet.

So yeah, t-shirts. I like quirky, weird, non sequitur graphics, just weird stuff. I like the kind of shirts where people stop and ask me, "What's that on your shirt?" and it not be like a mustard stain or something. Or better yet, "Why is there a clock (or whatever) on your shirt?" "Why don't those guys have heads?" "Is that supposed to mean something?"

Yeah, I'm a little bit of a fiend for crazy things. I like my underwear to be colorful and my shirts to be weird. I like brightly colored shoes (most recently a pair of florescent yellow Converse uppers) and funky-but-still-manly-in-that-effeminate-hipster-kind-of-way accessories. Bags? Hell, yeah, I carry a bag. I need it to carry my sketchbook, pencils, and my sawed off shotgun.

I'm kidding. I've never shot a gun that didn't dispense paintballs, and I don't own one now. :lol: But I do carry around a sketchbook, and I carry snacks in my bag when I'm riding my bike around town.

I also just started wearing cargo shorts without shaving my legs, and no one's said anything to me, so I must be OK. :slight_smile:

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, finding something to fit around my hips and not look too ridiculously baggy around the shoulders is always an issue. I usually luck out with large sizes- even medium depending on the cut.

As for underwear- I was wearing boy shorts (basically, briefs for women) up until I just sprung for a pack of boxer briefs. Been really good for packing- I like the boxer look but I've got a pocket for the packer and don't need a harness to secure it.

But yeah. I dunno.

For any guys starting out, highly recommend finding a good thrift store. Some of my favorite pieces come from there. And I'm broke so I'm not the kind of guy who can afford to fling around 60 bucks on a t-shirt. Key to good thrifting is patience- you're gonna be shifting through a lot of crap but if you luck out, you'll find your 10 dollar dress shirts and 20 dollar leather jackets.

16. Calix

If you wear anything long-sleeved like a shirt, you can roll up the sleeves to your elbow. Your arms still look thin, but the rolled up sleeves thing is very guy and that's what people will see. Just my two cents :slight_smile:

17. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wear most of my shirts with the sleeves rolled up like that, mostly because they're too long otherwise. It's practical. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2014 at 03:58 PM ----------

I like wearing button front shirts over tshirts because I feel like they hide things better. The only issue is that it's harder to find shirts like that that fit me well. Fits in the shoulders? Too tight near the hips. Fits in the hips? Too baggy everywhere else. Sleeves fit good? Everything else is too small. Miraculously good fit nearly everywhere? Sleeves are too long.

When it comes to tshirts, I have a hard time with graphic t's. I feel like if I'm wearing something with a larger graphic, it's more likely to give me away since my shape will distort the image (there is no question here, it happens, I can't seem to prevent it. this is the curse of loose tshirts and an hourglass figure). Doesn't keep me from buying ones I like though, when I can find them. I'm with jade, I like quirky graphics.

18. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jade and Fox: Gap, American Eagle, and H&M have a lot of graphic tees. I'm personally a solids or non-graphic prints guy and it's actually harder to find these in slim/ athletic fits than the graphics. All but Gap carry XS in store and Gap carries XS online.

To the Dr., I agree that shopping is expensive. :dry::tears: I'm a grad student so, I've started buying less stuff but of nicer/ more professional quality. However, for anyone needing a whole wardrobe, thrift shops are a good recommendation. Plato's Closet was a favorite of mine a while back (plus people can get rid of their girl clothes there, too!). :thumbsup:

Calix is right about the sleeves. I have long arms and more often have to hide too short sleeves but it works both ways and is super practical.

Re: t-shirts not fitting hips, if you're layering, tuck the t-shirt in and no one will know.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2014 at 05:08 PM ----------

Does anyone know of any moisture-wicking (i.e., not just cotton) undershirts that come in XS or boys... even women's if the cut isn't too obvious. I mostly wear collared shirts and I sweat no matter what so, I'm kinda desperate. :help:

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hey. Plato's is actually where I go most of the time. I buy all my jeans there. Only issue is that they don't have as wide of a selection as I'd like. But thinking of actually going there and selling all my old female stuff once I get a chance.

And moisture wicking- think Target sells them in packs of 3 in the men's underwear department.

20. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone know of any super super warm longer-length coats?