1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plucking eyebrows

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Incognito10, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Incognito10

How does one go about plucking his eyebrows to look better groomed? I have the appropriate tweezers, however I do not understand how you grasp the little hairs. Much less, I don't see how to stay at it long enough to get the job done. I am kind of gender queer in style and my brows are a bit too masc for my taste.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically it comes down to practice. Several hours of poking yourself in the eye and pinching skin instead of hair until you finally get it right...which is why I don't bother...

If you can't get the little hairs, poke the tweezers right onto the skin and close them slowly. When they start to pinch skin move your hand back a tiny little bit until you can close them. You SHOULD pick something then just yank it out...feels like you're trying to pull your face off but it should work.

3. Techno Kid

What I do for mine is get them done in a salon. It costs like $12 every four weeks when I go to get my haircut. :slight_smile:

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously... It isn't hard, people. Just pick up the tweezers and make sure the slanted side is toward you. Stand in front of a mirror with good lighting. Visualize where you want the lines to be (and then add to that to avoid over-plucking). Then grip and rip. Err on the side of caution or you'll look like a doll. Mostly concentrate on the unibrow and underside, taking very little from the top except for refining/ shaping. Oh and lotion afterward. Lotssss of lotion and maybe even ice.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely IS hard if you haven't done it before, and it remains hard until you've got confident doing it...I mean hell it's hard enough to 'visualise where you want the lines to be' if you don't have any ideas where they are supposed to go in the first place! Not to mention getting used to doing everything in the mirror...

6. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends. I'm super hairy so to me, it's a constant battle that I'm use to. :roflmao:

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum keeps telling me I need to do it because my eyebrows are big...she decided to have a go and nearly ripped by eyelid off!! Don't know what the hell she was doing xD

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need professional help. :roflmao: :kiss:

9. Just Jess

Yeah f'ed if I know, I usually go to one of those $10 places in the mall to get 'em threaded. 2 minutes of mild pain, 3 weeks of feeling great :slight_smile:

I guess :icon_redf I do tweeze my unibrow. I have like wires for eyebrows, it's really bad, like if I am ever in a Turkish prison I have lockpicks right there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So mine are pretty easy to grip and then I just yank 'em. I take the band-aid approach and try to get two or three of the little guys at the same time. And then when I'm done witch hazel and a q-tip so I don't break out and get acne or anything. Plus instant feeling better.

10. Manta

There are a special kind of tweezers for plucking? Gah, I don't know squat compared to what other people have said so far, but here is my experience: You don't have to take off much to clean up a bit, just get the hairs that don't fall into the natural line of your eyebrows and it will make a difference. It's the random one's going farther down you eyelid or cropping up between the two brows that if you pluck, your eyebrows will look much cleaner without having to worry too much about the shape you want.

ElliaOtaku, I don't know what your mom is getting at with plucking eyebrows, my mom was forbidden from ever plucking hers until she left her parent's house! It "altered" her "natural appearance" or something. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So the next time she tells you to pluck, try throwing THAT at her! :grin:

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might have to get them done properly, I just don't know where I would even go...

12. Techno Kid

Salons would not work for you?

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure they would, but I'd need to FIND one first...more importantly I'd need to find one that is trans friendly!

14. Axxel

Axxel Guest

I use these bad boys.

http://qualityvaluestyle.com/sites/...ct_images/10-1001 QVS Square Tip Tweezers.png

The thing about these is that they're square tipped. This gives a much better grip for coarse, dense hair, which I have an abundance of. Go at the hair from the angle it's growing at. So, say your hair grows out this way ---> you'd put the tweezers so the tips were grasping the base of the hair at the non arrow head end, pull your skin taut with your other hand, and then pull the hair out with the tweezers in the direction that the arrow head goes. You have to gauge which way each hair is growing. Generally, try to pull the hair out in a straight line from where it starts.

http://yourmakeupsocial.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/eyebrow-shaping.jpeg

This is quite useful for looking at how to proportion your eyebrows.

15. anonym

anonym Guest

I used to love plucking my eyebrows. That was more motivation for me to do them than the actual finished appearance. :roflmao: I never found it painful really. I mean it can hurt if you don't pull the hairs out fast but I didn't mind the feeling of it. I quite liked it :grin: If you don't want to go to a salon, google some pics of eyebrow shapes to see which you'd like. Don't pluck above the eyebrow unless you have random stray hairs on your forehead. I used to get the odd few lol. You need to get rid of a monobrow if you have one and then just pluck the hairs underneath the brow to shape it how you want.

If you've got one, use a magnifying mirror or consider buying one. It's easier to see what you're doing. Also, if you have the tweezers in one hand, use the other to press down on your skin next to wear you're plucking. It's less painful.

If you feel confident to go to a salon and can afford it, that would probably be the best option but I never did because I couldn't let anyone else pluck my eyebrows. Idk why. I was also afraid of them over doing it and giving me a shape I'd hate. My mum plucked her eyebrows too thin making them too high and they've never grown back. Now she doesn't like them but she's stuck with them! :lol: