1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Platonic Orientation?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Stacy in MA, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Stacy in MA

So, I see that some people differentiate between their sexual and romantic orientation - is there another type of orientation to describe who you prefer to share extremely close, non sexual/romantic relationships with? I was thinking Platonic Orientation might make sense, so I googled that but didn't come up with very many hits. Is there another term that is used more often?

I feel so much more connected to women and intensely crave female friendship and the feeling of sisterhood, so it would be really nice to have a simple way to express it.

Thanks!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You want an orientation for friendship?

3. Stacy in MA

I was thinking more along the lines of love than friendship, but not love in a romantic or sexually way. I have always had much, much closer relationships with women than men, and a much greater sense of belonging with groups of women/mostly women than with groups of men. It's not that I don't like men or have plenty of male friends - I get along pretty well with everyone - it's just that I don't seem to have the same depth of emotional connections with them.

Perhaps I'm just buying into the stereotypes about male and female friendships, but I see a type of close, emotional, relationship between women that I crave and haven't felt with any men. The very close relationships I see between men for some reason don't generally seem as appealing/satisfying to me. Maybe I'm just building up a type of relationship in my head that doesn't actually exist in real life.

I don't know, the more I think about this the more confusing it gets to me - looks like I'm just completely on the wrong track. Ugggh.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between non-romantic love and friendship...

I mean that might be because for the most part I don't consider someone to really be my friend unless I love them like family. Everyone else is at best a preferred acquaintance...

5. Calix

I'm not sure if it's the same thing. But are you talking about being extremely close to a girl and hugging & kissing and other cute things, but not feeling an interest in many/any sexual activities? Cause that would describe my level of attraction to girls extremely well >.<

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I think what you're describing is the difference between a friendship and a close friendship. Close friendships can sometimes cause confusing feelings in my experience because you can feel very close to someone emotionally yet not be attracted to them physically. This has lead me to question my orientation in the past. It's bordering on a relationship minus the physical attraction.

7. Stacy in MA

I'm doing a terrible job expressing myself - I should have stewed on this longer before posting.

Let me try one last thing - maybe it will help explain where I am coming from.

There are at least a dozen men that I love like family - that I love dearly (some actually are family, more are not) but I have never had the same level of connection with any of them that I have with several women over the course of my life. This connection was not necessarily romantic or sexual. When I look at the women in my life and I see their friendships with the women closest to them I see connections that seem more like my connections with women than with men. For some reason I don't seem to be able to have/haven't had the same sort of connections with men and I was wondering if this is a somewhat common experience (I mean with a gender other than the one assigned at birth - not any gender specifically) and if it is, whether there is already a way people are expressing this. Clearly Platonic is not he right word :slight_smile: but basically the tendency to connect deeply more easily with one gender over another.

Does that make any more sense?

By the way, thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm a bit adrift gender-wise at the moment, and am spending a lot of time trying to wrap my head around things, but not doing such a good job at it.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2014 at 01:27 PM ----------

Anonym, that sounds pretty close. In my particular case it was one of a number of things that caused me to question my gender rather than my romantic or sexual orientation.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2014 at 01:38 PM ----------

Calix, I think that would fall more into the realm of romantic orientation for me - of course I am just learning about all of this so I may just be misunderstanding how other people are using romantic orientation.

8. anonym

anonym Guest

Perhaps it is because heteronormative society places emphasis on men being emotionally distant. Perhaps because of these ideas about how a man should be, men are less willing to connect emotionally and are less emotionally available than women, for who emotion is actively encouraged. Idk this is just me talking crap/

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is one aspect of my personality that makes me identify as female...

Gotta be a bro before a friend on an emotional level between males.

10. Axxel

Axxel Guest

If we had an orientation for platonic love I'm pretty sure I'd be everything-sexual. Including some inanimate objects.

11. twizt

If it is still romantic then it sounds like asexual to me. There are asexuals who still have emotional and romantic relationships with people that do not include sex. Granted, they don't want sex at all from their significant others and I not sure if you said you did or not.

12. Stacy in MA

I was thinking of this as something in addition to my sexual orientation (women) and romantic orientation (women). Maybe this isn't strictly necessary, but I really feel like, for me, this a significant part of my gender and just wish I could do a better job expressing it.