1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog topics - ideas please! ;)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gates, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings ECers,

As some of you know, I've just started a blog about trans* "stuff" and was hoping to get some feedback about topics you guys feel aren't covered enough/ you'd like to read a different perspective on. Keep in mind that I'm not on T so, I wouldn't have much to say about that.

Please help me out by supplying ideas. Ladies, feel free to reply as well but know that I'm more limited so, I'll try my best. :kiss:

2. Orange Bananas

Does trans stuff include genderqueer? If so, genderfluidity. If I wasn't bi, I wouldn't have dug deep into the LGBT community and I might never have known what genderfluidity was. See if you can maybe let more people know what genderfluidity (and other genders under the genderqueer umbrella) are.

Good luck and may the bananas be with you! (!)

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Genderqueer counts! I'll see what I can do! (!)

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have anything to add, but I will be reading it! :slight_smile:

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I got some feedback on what many straight, cisgendered people wonder about trans* people so, I might address that as my second post. Thoughts?

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Couldn't hurt. :slight_smile:

7. anonym

anonym Guest

Trans and mental health?

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything in particular?

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I suppose I was thinking about my experience with the NHS here in the UK. I am suffering from depression and also anxiety (I believe I have a dissociative disorder but not officially diagnosed) yet I have been passed from pillar to post for 2 years. Seems they won't treat me as a normal patient and give me the therapy I need because I am trans. They just refer me onto gender clinic which is a long long wait when I could be benefiting from more general treatment for anxiety and depression.

I suppose what I'm getting at is the tendency of the many healthcare professionals I have seen to overlook mental health issues that are not gender related because they freak out when they are presented with a transgender patient. One GP I saw even said 'I'm not sure I know the first thing about treating a transgender patient.' I wasn't even seeing him about my gender. It was something else but he'd read my records and then I was denied any further help and told to wait till I get to the gender clinic and tell them about it.

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get you... Yeah, it's often difficult to dissociate co-occurrence from cause and effect. For example, I exhibit symptoms of an anxiety disorder but I don't have one - it's all gender related. It could be the same for you but if the symptoms are severe enough, you should be treated for them.

I'll see what I can do with this topic. Sorry you aren't being treated well. :frowning2: