1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm freaking out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Apr 17, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I have just kind of applied for some voluntary jobs with my new name and ticked 'male' as my gender. So now I getting scared about what happens if they call me for an interview when I'm not currently presenting as male. I feel like I need to go get a haircut and clothes but that in itself is terrifying when there's no trans friendly hairdressers around here.

I'm freaking scared!:eek:

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need a trans* friendly hairdresser. Just ask for a pixie or some other masculine "girl's" haircut. But yeah, clothes... Or you have to tell them.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So here's the beautiful thing about the way the law works in the UK.

You should be able to put 'male' on the form because that's how you identify. Legally they cannot ask you about it or even HINT at it in case you have a GRC. If you had a GRC and they questioned your gender they would be in SO MUCH TROUBLE that they can't risk it.

You might hit a snag if you need a DBS check done, but I can give you a link about that if it helps.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

I have no idea on where I stand legally. I guess I need to start doing my research. All I thought was people are looking for a volunteer, I'm willing to volunteer, ticking female makes me feel bad and since I am mentally male, it also seems deceptive to tick female, especially when some volunteer jobs are women only. If I turn up for an interview and they're expecting a guy, my plan is to calmly explain that I am a guy. If they don't want someone willing to volunteer because they're trans, they aren't worthy of my time and effort so screw them, I'll try elsewhere.

I have also realised a positive thing about being trans while I've been browsing these volunteer jobs. I can't quite believe it. When they say they are looking for someone who can empathize and understand the difficulties people may face as a result of social discrimination/exclusion, I fucking know what that's like.

Yeah I might need a DBS. I haven't legally changed my name yet. I'm just going by a new name to those who support me (ie my counsellor and a friend who knows). Daren't even bring up the name change at home. Things are volatile enough.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most places who want volunteers are unlikely to turn you away because you are trans. If they mention a DBS check then you will need to show them ID anyway, so as long as you don't try to HIDE that fact you should be fine. Most people realise they can't ask too many questions or risk a discrimination charge anyway!

Incidentally, it turns out that legally changing your name isn't a thing - or at least it's not like one process. You can just start using a new one. You then draft a deed poll letter (which is easy) and start telling people about it.

Do you mind if I ask what name you are going by now?

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Seems like a good attitude to have! Good luck. :slight_smile: <3

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So frankly if a place that is looking for volunteers won't accept you then I see two things...

1.) They are prejudiced assholes
    2.) They have to have a ton of people applying for a volunteer position.

I think you should calm down and let things play out. Easy to say, not to do I know. (*hug*)

8. anonym

anonym Guest

Haha I don't think I could HIDE the fact I'm trans even if I tried! Sorry, that made me laugh :lol:

My new name is Alex. I chose it weeks ago but have only been using it with my counsellor and now my friend for about 2-3 weeks. It feels so much better than my birth name and I like the fact that it is unisex because there are bound to be instances before I pass where I don't want to have to disclose that I'm trans. People can be calling me Alex thinking I'm a masculine woman, I won't have to 'put up' with hearing my birth name and they need not know I'm trans :slight_smile: That will do for me.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then do I have your permission to use you new name from now on?

It's a lovely (and remarkably popular) name!

10. anonym

anonym Guest

Yes of course :slight_smile:

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK then Alex, I will do just that :slight_smile:

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Much love to my gender neutral named brother (and sisters too) out there.

(*hug*)

13. Just Jess

Way to go Alex!

For what it's worth, I applied for some jobs under my new name recently. It's not a job but one of those was a like $50 / week tutoring gig at codehs.com . But the big deal is I had a phone interview as my target sex. Super nervous about that! Plus I am going on a date as myself later today. At a queer coffee shop, but still.

But yeah, I had some experiences where my trying to interview as a guy was still basically getting me crap, so I'm applying more places as myself. It's rough, I feel a little like a baby chick trying to break through a shell. And I'm applying more "tide me over" places and not just places where I can use my degree.

I think your attitude rocks though :slight_smile:

My friends are superstitious about saying good luck. So do your best and break a leg.