1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Dysphoria and Non-binaries

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Techno Kid, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

I have heard binary trans* people say that non-binary trans* folk are not trans because "they don't experiense dysphoria", but many experience social and even body dysphoria to varying degrees.
    Is social dysphoria seen as less legitimate in trans* circles? :confused:

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

o_o

Everybody who's not completely cisgender is trans*. Even if you don't want transitioning. I have top dyphoria but not bottom one and I don't give a fuck if a trans* thinks I'm not really into transgender umbrella.

There's not the true trans* and the fake trans*.

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ×2

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    ×3

5. porygon

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hate to chain, but; x4

6. Calix

Wait ... ppl don't believe non-binaries are really trans? idiots.

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I presume you have been looking at a "truscum*" blog and misunderstanding their opinion.
    Most of these people do accept nonbinaries, because, yes, they do have dysphoria, and it would be rude to discount that. Social dysphoria isn't really justification to give people hormones that will permanently change their lives. That is why they are concerned! At least try to understand the other point of view.

*"Truscum" is a term for those who believe that trans = medical condition. You know who thinks this? Doctors. Therapists. You know, the people who enable transsexual people to transition. This really should not be controversial. My theory is that the fact that people are using trans as an umbrella term leads people to assume that all "identities" besides MTF and FTM are invalid when people say it is a medical thing, which is simply not the case. By trans, these people are not referring to crossdressers and GQs. They are talking about trans people who have dysphoria and need resources.

#7 An Gentleman, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. Just Jess

C-C-C-Combo-Br...

No I'm kidding. x5

9. Kat 5

x6 this is going to be a long chain.

10. Gwendolyn

x7 Indeed it is

11. Sorceress of Az

Kaioken X 8, Kahmahamaha!

12. Techno Kid

Well how many of those experts actually have some form of dysphoria? Sure I see nothing wrong with non-binaries going through a psychiatric exam, but than they should be able to get HRT or surgery (say top surgery). What's wrong with that?

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Not at all interjecting this in a negative manner. But is there even some kind of consensus as to what exactly dysphoria is?

In the past, if anyone has ever asked me if I experienced dysphoria (only here, lol), I would say no. However, reading Kasey's thread yesterday many were describing symptoms that I have actually experienced many, many times. Apparently, I have just been ignorant of what the term actually described. However, it was obvious from a lot of the responses that there seems to be far from a consensus on what all it entails, which leads me back into doubt again.

Anyone?

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not really nonbinarism that is the problem, it's people transitioning when they don't actually meet the criteria. I mean, we have to do some gate keeping here, or people might ruin their lives, regret transitioning, etc. We don't want social dysphorics dying left and right because they threw caution to the wind and basically ignored science and medicine.

Your motivation here is to fix some of the standards of trans medicine, right? I see your point. Many doctors don't really understand gender dysphoria because it is an obscure concept, so they make bad assumptions. There is a problem with too many regulations, but we shouldn't go the opposite way and have too few regulations.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

I think this is a huge problem with the trans community. In an effort to be inclusive, we just ended up muddlin the definitions of what trans even is! These days, I have no idea what the community is going on about.

#15 An Gentleman, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Muddlin". That's exactly how Ruthven would say "muddling". Why does he do that, though?

16. Ruthven

lol I just like to write how i generally speak. Like I usually don't say "ing" with words like say "freezing" So i write freezin cuz that's more how i pronounce it. (!) unless i'm empathisin and/or sayin sumthin slowly, then i seem to have more of an "ing"