1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Not Sure About My Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Writing Corsair, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Writing Corsair

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, I've recently become unsure as to what gender I am and it's become a bit concerning for me. Gender has always been a fascinating concept to me and I enjoy researching and learning new things about it.

While reading up on it, I decided to stop and think about what made me a woman and realized that I wasn't too sure of the answer. I read about all these people who just know what gender they are, but I'm not the kind of person who can just instinctively know things.

I've never had a problem with wearing dresses or doing girly things. The reason I don't usually wear makeup is mostly just laziness. But at the same time, I love it when people assume that I'm a guy and I have a near obsession with men's suits.

However, I know that liking traditionally male or female things doesn't make some a man or a woman. So I've also been playing around with pronouns in my head. She, he, even they but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind being referred to as any of those.

I don't know if I'm a woman, a man, neither, both, or in between. Gender is to abstract for someone like me and I'm not sure what to think.

What does gender feel like for you guys?

2. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, to start with, assume you wake up in a world where everyone accepts you and supports you. You can do anything without being criticised (as long as it's legal). Your wardrobe has everything possible in it? What do you do? What will you wear?

3. Writing Corsair

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if that wasn't a rhetorical question, I suppose I'd wear a suit. Waistcoat, tie, the works. It'd look odd to wear in public, but they're very classy and I have a long held love for them. I'd keep my hair short and I might wear makeup. I don't think I'd care if people got confused about what gender I was.
    I'd probably do what I normally do, grocery shopping, going to the park, ect. I lead a mundane life, but that's fine with me.

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Would you wear any other masculine clothes, or just the suit?

5. Writing Corsair

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've owned a lot men's clothes over the years.

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you have any other desires to be male, other than wearing the clothes? :slight_smile:

7. Writing Corsair

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure. I remember when I was younger I would get pretty happy when people thought I was a boy. I'd tell them otherwise, but I'd still be happy about it. The idea of other people thinking I'm male seems nice to me. But I can still be pretty feminine at times, so it seems a little off.
    But saying that I'm just a girl who's kind of tomboyish doesn't seem quite right either.

8. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG!!! I feel exactly the same way!! I thought I was the only one! If people could give advice on this that would be amazing!!!!!!

9. Acm

Acm Guest

First try thinking about the female characteristics of your body? Do they make you uncomfortable? Would you be happier with a male body? Or something else altogether? And then try thinking about your place in society, do you want to live as a male and be treated like one? Or would you rather be androgynous? I'm not an expert sorry but hopefully this helps

10. Writing Corsair

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aside from my chest, I'm not that uncomfortable with my body. The more I think about it, I think I might be androgyne or agendered.

11. Manta

Take your time to think things through, there's no rush to figure things out.

My experience has been a little different from yours, but give yourself time to experiment and think things through. If you want to experiment more with pronouns, just let us know and we'll use them!

12. Writing Corsair

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, I'm definitely going to give this a lot of thought. I'm not entirely sure yet, but this thread has really helped me sort out my thoughts.