1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone + Puberty

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by An Gentleman, Apr 24, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to see a therapist in June, and I hope to get onto T before my 15th birthday (September 1). It seems a bit optimistic, but I feel pretty sorted out. I just need the tools to fix this body. It's like I'm an engineer redesigning a human. :lol:

I have a few questions:
    -Are there any effects of T that are exclusive to puberty?
    -Since I'm currently borderline obese, how will I become healthy? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.
    -I need to stop procrastinating on improving myself. Any advice on that?
    -For the post-mones trans, how long does it take to get a diagnosis these days?

2. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't aware that you could start HRT before 16...

3. Yosia

you can take blockers but I too am not entirely sure you can replace hormones until 16~ as for your weight, it isnt tjat hard to lose and at teenage ages just simply eating healthier and exercise will make you lose weight healthily ^.^

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    16! Then where am I hearing all these stories of trans children?
    Information for transsexual kids these days is absolute shit. (Was it ever very easy to understand, though?)

5. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Losing weight shouldn't be a problem when you are on hormones. I'm not sure of what you look like now- but it's very possible you will go through a growth spurt in which the fat will be redistributed making you look better and as being overweight and underweight etc. goes by height you should be getting towards normal weight for whatever height you end up ^^

And if you do not go through said growth spurt, as marshmallow said, it's easier to lose weight in teenage years. It can depend a lot on what your body is like and your chemical levels. That being said there are different types of exercises and they are aimed to do different things. You may find your body best reacts to low intensity long endurance workouts, or quick-paced and high intensity workouts, etc.

Finally: It shouldn't be too hard to find old threads similar to this if you want to find out about the prescription and as for effects I'm sure there's a list somewhere on the internet- I mean it's the freaking internet. Type in a google search and it'll show up, speaking of which, this seems to have a lot of good info, the colour scheme is a bit of an eye sore but meh: Hudson's Guide: FTM Testosterone Therapy Basics

6. suninthesky

There's no law saying 16. It just depends on the doctor, parents and person in question. It's just rare.

Loosing weight?
    -increase metabolism by building muscle (T will help, but with T brings a chance of increased bp, so it's something to work on before you start T) Do anything physical. Also: SLEEP (as a college XC/track runner, sleep has made the biggest difference in my metabolism. It lowers cortisol levels.
    -calorie deficit : don't do too much, or it could be unhealthy. find a deficit that will help you loose weight but will allow you to still get ALL the nutrients you need. Eat well: cut out as much added sugar as you can. Healthy fats are okay, sugar is bad, corn syrup is even worse. If you find that you get low blood sugar by eating less sugary stuff then normal, eat bananas.
    -aerobic: yes, weights will build you muscle, but what you probably need most is aerobic activity. jump rope, running, swimming, distance intervals. Aerobic, aerobic, aerobic.

And obviously consult a professional. Any advice I or anyone else gives you should be looked at carefully while considering qualifications.

#6 suninthesky, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Well, trans kids can take blockers, which basically pauses puberty, but doesn't make you any more masculine or feminine. I take them, and I'm 13. I'm not sure about the 16 rule, it can probably be bended in some cases, but I'm not really sure. :confused:

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ It took me a year to find a therapist, so I'm not on blockers yet.
    I know that puberty is not over for me yet, but I'm afraid it might be too late :frowning2:.

9. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I had already begun puberty, so I still have to bind. However the blockers do stop your period an any further breast development. So they won't reverse anything, but they can prevent further changes. You can still take them if you already started puberty. :slight_smile:

10. whoman

Now mtf can start at even 12 depending on when they came out and what there phsychologist says

As far as ftm go you can start at 12 too

People get to start earlier now so they can go through puberty the right way

11. scibionerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    -Are there any effects of T that are exclusive to puberty?
    Scientific literature says that T can stunt your growth if you start too early in puberty by causing closure of your bone growth plates.
    You will experience typical male puberty once you take T, eg water retention, acne, sweating more (higher body heat production), muscle mass growth, shift in emotions, hair growth, genital growth, etc.

-Since I'm currently borderline obese, how will I become healthy? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.
    Because you will gain mass from T, you want to start doing cardio and add in light weights to help tone once you get the muscle gain. Hydrate! Drink lots of water since your muscles and metabolism will have a higher need. Lean protein and balanced diet.

-I need to stop procrastinating on improving myself. Any advice on that?
    Put together a goal list and write realistic ways of achieving them, eg lose 5 lbs by a certain date, work up to jogging a mile by a certain date, give up certain foods, etc. Ultimately, invest in yourself and see yourself as the reward. Sometimes pics of a desired look can be motivational.

-For the post-mones trans, how long does it take to get a diagnosis these days?
    It varies with doctors and the red tape you go through. My experience and my friend's have ranged from 3-6 months of therapy to get a letter for T Rx.