1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working out as an FtM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drwinchester, Apr 25, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So today, called up local YMCA to see if I was still registered with them (spoiler alert, was). Happened to also ask what my options were as far as change rooms.

And I already wrote about this in the What are you thinking thread but basically, I was told "women's and family changing rooms" were my options since as of right now, I'm not medically transitioning and I'm not legally male.

So it's kinda one of those things where I'm reminded I'm different, you know?

And that kinda brings me into the main point of this thing.

I want to work out. It's gonna be a while before I can medically transition anyway but in the meantime, I want to shed weight, bulk up so that when I can go on T, my results are going to be even better. And there's added plus of looking good, so yeah...

But I feel really weird about working out in front of other people. I can't bind if I'm working out so sure, I can wear an oversized shirt or whatever but is that even gonna be enough? I have to layer clothes just to look male enough- I dunno how that's supposed to translate.

So, what do I do? How do I navigate locker rooms and passing at the gym? Or do I just forgo the gym all together?

I find I'm really lacking motivation and a lot of it's because of the above...

2. PeytonRose

It's all about confidence. That's all a gym ever is. The fact that you're you and you're there to make yourself into a better you...If that makes sense.

Ignore everyone and do it provided you're comfortable. Otherwise there's a free website somewhere out there (not sure if I'm allowed to post it on here or not) that gives you points based on your workouts. It also has several ideas for workouts and strength gaining exercises to bulk up on it that don't require weights or the gym. So if you're not comfortable going to the gym quite yet (because I'm almost positive you will be some day :wink: ) you can find this site and enjoy. Free to register (if memory serves) but again I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it on here and I've learned it's better to err on the side of caution. Good luck though! (*hug*)

3. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    You could work out at home, though a gym definitely has better equipment. Sit-ups, push-ups, maybe go running/cycling?
    There are a some good sports underwear that sort of binds the chest but isn't too tight for workouts. From the top of my head, something from Nike might work. Combine that with baggy clothes/loose layers and you're good to go.

4. PeytonRose

I know underarmor is usually pretty tight to the skin and spandexy. Also, I'm sure if you google strength training from home or something to that effect, you could find some simple exercises to do in your free time as well.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 02:14 AM ----------

Also, I meant to agree with Sherlock with my earlier post. Not just quote it and not acknowledge it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you're not comfortable working out at home there's a blog called nerdfitness which gives you a bunch of exercises you can do it at home. It's pretty legit.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said in the other thread, it's the same way when I go swimming...

So far I've turned up, got changed into my swimming costume, put a towel round me and got in. Once I'm actually going nobody notices or cares what I'm doing, and I don't stop when there are people around.

SO it might be worth investing in an MP3 player if you haven't already got one. YOu can't bind and that will feel crappy, but a big shirt will help. Not much, but its better than nothing. Thing is what you may notice is once you start working out and notice your muscles improving that you feel slightly less bad about everything else.

I know it's not quite the same but when I used to go to the gym I felt kind of bad about my weight, but since it would take ages on machines I didn't like to do anything about that I never bothered. I did weights instead. Lifted the biggest, heaviest things I could manage. It took my mind off things...theoretically it might take your mind off your chest...

Just try and ignore everyone else and focus on what you are doing.