1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport and transgender~

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Yosia, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Yosia

I am quite interested in sport but sport is always split into genders so what happens when transgender? like would I be in the girls category because I identify as a girl or the boys because I am boilogically a boy..

also not just playing sport but I am looking to take a course in the FA for referee and coaching if I cant pursue teaching so what would happen with that?

^.^

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I assume you are thinking like, more serious organised sports stuff rather than just a casual thing.

So it will depend on the governing body of the sport, but unfortunately it appears for most things you are stuck with your birth gender no matter how you identify. I was reading recently that even shooting keeps trans people with their birth genders and there isn't a whole heck of a lot that being a male is going to help you with there.

3. Yosia

Yup like playing for a girls football team and refereeing and coaching~

I researched it and its not very pleasant >.< The FA (footballing association) dont recognise you as a female until two years after you have 'the op' which is ridiculous :L I read they have plans to change it though so its a waiting game >.<

4. Emulator

Not sure about how it goes there, but whenever I play competitive sports which is split by gender, I have to go with birth gender.
    I think it's more of the body build that they're concerned about.

5. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah. I played football/soccer before and there is an actual difference. Triathlons too.