1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Identity Confusion

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by indigoHamsters, Apr 26, 2014.

1. indigoHamsters

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was born female, but I've never been content with being a girl. While my friends were princesses, I'd be the prince. Whenever we'd play games I'd be the male characters. I've always liked girls, ever since I was little I knew I liked girls. Around third grade, when my friends started liking guys, I thought maybe I was supposed to be a guy, because I wasn't like any of my friends, so it was reassuring to learn that girls can like girls. But I till didn't feel quite right. For tthe past two or three years, I've been wishing that I was born male. I'll have fits of dysphoria at random times and I can't help but wonder if maybe I actually am a boy and was just born in the wrong body? But I'm too scared about what would happen if I tried talking to friends about it. So I guess I'm asking for some help. How did you know for sure what gender you are? I don't want to rush into a decision that might not be right, you know? So yeah. I don't know, but I really don't think I'm happy being a girl.

(also sorry for mistakes, I'm no good with my tablet's keyboard.)

2. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Knowing for sure is sometimes hard. I still have some days when I doubt whether I'm right. But some things that helped me to figure it out we're keeping a journal of how I was feeling about it. I also got a really good tip on here that helped. Try saying out loud "I am a girl" and "I am a boy", and any other options you think you might be (both, neither, etc.) and see how you feel. That's what helped me the most, I think. And remember that there's no need to rush. Take your time, and you'll figure it out. Best of luck. (*hug*)

3. Manta

^agree! There is no rush to figuring it out, so take as much time as you want/need.

I can't tell you how I "Knew for sure what gender am" because I'm still working on that myself, but some things to think about that may be helpful would include:

- how you feel about your body. You said you experience dysphoria, is that related to your body, and if so, what about that makes you dysphoric?

- Socially. How do you feel being perceived as a woman? Does being referred to or teated as a woman make you uncomfortable? How about clothes/makeup?

Perhaps you've already thought about these things, but if not, I hope it can help!

4. indigoHamsters

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you both, your advice has helped. I'm gonna think this over before making any decisions, but from what you two have said I'm leaning heavily towards male. Thank you again, you've helped a lot. :slight_smile:

#4 indigoHamsters, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014