1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wardrobe Building thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gates, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So as not to derail any clothing item threads, I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to ideas/ advice for building wardrobes. Buying a single item discrete in time and space tends to be most people's M.O. but for many of us, we actually need to somewhat rapidly build cohesive wardrobes (whether due to transitioning, changing careers, or changing sizes, etc.). Below is a useful link (esp. for women) but I think the slideshow could be modified for us guys also. I'm trying to figure out *exactly* what I want to incorporate but am using these ratios as a base to build upon. There is also a strategy for minimizing clutter in which you decide how many times a given item should be worn per month and then use that to determine how many of said item you need.

After I do some math, I'll post my wardrobe ideas but would love others to jump right in! :icon_bigg

How to Build a Wardrobe | RealSimple.com

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

OMG, I'm so glad you posted this! When I think about enjoying female clothing, I can't help but think of it in terms of building it as a wardrobe. (Can't just snatch an item off the rack here or another there.) It's the artist in me. If you look at the pics I posted in the Female Clothing thread, you can see I go after a certain "look", for the most part. Maybe this will help me for filling in areas my imagination hasn't ventured into yet. (Honestly, mostly at a loss for summer clothing atm.)

3. justjade

This is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. I've been needing something like this to keep my wardrobe balanced. I don't telecommute or take care of kids like slide 4 says, but I do spend most of my time at home. I wear a uniform to work, so I don't really need anything special for that.

Thanks for posting this. I think sometimes my style gets lost. I want to look really good when I'm in public, so I used to buy a lot of dressier clothes. Now it's more low-key stuff like flannels and cargo shorts. I'm glad I'm probably on the right track. I was such a fashion victim when I was a girl, and it's good to be reminded not to fall back into that. :slight_smile:

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a HUGE thing people forget about is color/ pattern. We all look for fit but it's important to know what colors suit your coloring and the look you're going for. Pattern can be your best friend or worst enemy.

<<< also an artist who very rarely design clothes/ houses/ furniture just for fun

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 08:16 PM ----------

Huzzah! Something useful!!

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need more fun and casual clothes. I love this dress I got but need accessories...

I've always hated jewelry though. But yes... A wardrobe...

6. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I'm not really big on jewelry either, Kasey, oddly enough. Whatever I do picture myself wearing would have to be very subdued and not too glittery. Much more into the clothes...

Although it's interesting to note that when I was married to my ex, I actually wore a ladies band. Partially because of sizing (I have extremely dainty extremities for a MAAB), but I secretly enjoyed it, too.

7. justjade

That's a good point.

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are tips online about determining skin tone and good colors for it. If you LOVE a color that looks horrible on, wear it away from your face and/ or as small accessories. :thumbsup:

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea...

Size 11 feet... Ugh.

But I must admit I DO like scarves...

10. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

That men's or women's sizes?

I typically seem to fall in-between sizes. Let's say a ladies pump 10.25US is about perfect for me. :lol: (Depending on brand, of course.)

EDIT: To not stray too far off-topic (please be patient with us digressing ladies, Gates!), going to post the link to the Polish blog I found the first outfit I posted in the Female Clothing thread at. The model (and/or maybe her manager) seem to have, to me, a real talent and rather impeccable taste in putting together a sonorous, unified feminine wardrobe. (Although may need to get a second job and maybe a little "work" done to be able pull off some of those gorgeous numbers!)

http://helpihavenothingtowear.blogspot.com/

#10 AudreyB, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  11. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zappos!!! And for scarves, Target and H&M

12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have now calculated the basics of my (shall be acquired) wardrobe using the following:

1) 365 days/ yr - 14 "field days" - 7 sick/ lazy pajama days = 344 days; 344/12 = 29 days/ month
    2) Shirts: 29 days/ 2 wears per month = 15 shirts
    15×0.6 (web ratio for office) = 9 work shirts; 15×0.3 = 5 casual shirts; 15×0.1 = 1 dress shirt
    3) Pants: 29 days/ 4 wears per month = 7 pair of pants
    4 work; 2 casual; 1 dress

I have most of the casual stuff so, it's mostly work wear, shoes and basics that I need to focus on. :grin: Yay math!!

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, as of right now just building basic wardrobe. Need dress shirts and whatever- I mean, not bad dresser but haven't exactly had change to really build wardrobe, because of money and closet issues.

15. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Wow, leave it to you to pull out the slide rule about it. :lol: All I know is that on the female side of my closet, I have a lot of empty hangers that need filling!

16. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: Shopping is war, madam, and one must be prepared! :roflmao:
    [​IMG]

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Where I work right now is conservative enough that, a couple years ago, they actually had a big banner posted out in front of their facility proclaiming how strongly they were against Obamacare. :rolle: I wouldn't be working there now except it's such a tremendous break for my career, first I've had in years. Still, no chance at all to be able to wear what I prefer there.

However, if I ever find a more trans-friendly workplace, I think maybe I'm going to use your formula above to calculate my clothing needs. (Thanks for doing the math for me. Might multiply a few of the variables, though, it's a big closet. :lol:slight_smile:

18. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2: That sucks about your work environment but at least it's a good career move. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And multiply away. These wear ratios are really for men; it's common for women to have a shirt wear ratio of 29:1 or higher and a pant/ skirt ratio of 15:1 or higher. It's good to maintain a ratio to avoid clutter, though. :wink:

19. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my, the math, HAHAHAHA! :icon_lol: :roflmao: *Steals calculations* :eusa_whis

20. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, make sure to tailor the percentages to your lifestyle. I will be spending most of my time either working or out/ at home so, that's why the calcs are what they are. I also didn't do them for seasonal items like sweaters and coats nor for basics (underclothes, pajamas, shoes) but they are easier to figure out once you determine your wardrobe staples.