1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are trans people more likely to be gay?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems like most trans people here are gay or bi/pan. Is it just this website or are most trans people actually gay or bi?

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure but I've noticed it, especially among guys. Not sure if there are any stats but I'm just glad that people on this site are accepting. I left a site years ago because all of the other guys were straight except for one, and they treated him horribly. I'm straight but I guess that makes me like an "ally" in a sense. I think polysexuality is actually more common among females anyway so, that could account for so many bi/ pan ladies but I dunno.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're simply men, women, or a mixture of the two with bits that got mixed around.

I'm straight ^,^

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really think so. Maybe they feel less left out here because this site is probably the only one I saw with a majority of gay trans people. Then, maybe the straight trans people feel left out here? I remember seeing a tread about that here.

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind being in the minority since technically, I'm in the majority the rest of the time. Everyone deserves to feel safe and included. The only "consequence" is that sometimes I feel that gay guys think maybe straight guys are judging them as not "trans enough," which isn't the case. I found out that this was an issue at an lgbtq center at which I was the only straight guy; I didn't like that it made other guys uncomfortable to be around me. :frowning2:

6. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I don't think so, but I do think transitioning tends to give a pretty unique perspective on things. For me at least I find myself more easily able to empathize and put myself in other people's perspective since going through everything that I have. I tend to see the person before the label more often now. Maybe that is what you are seeing? I am not sure.

7. Just Jess

The studies I have seen that had a decent sample size, had us in about even thirds, birth sex, bi, destination sex.

So actually yeah, I believed a lot of those statistics, I have seen them played out here and elsewhere, and that would put us 1 in 3 trans people being gay way way above the 1 in 20 for the cis population.

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if that is due to inheritance... Like, more gay transgender people procreated in the past than gay cisgender people (would make sense but we'd have to factor in stats on trans:cis to see if there's any change in relative proportionalities).

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Nah... I dunno. In my (limited) experience, I've noted this is actually one of the few places with a queer/gay majority. Which is real nice because honestly, feels great to have common ground.

I am, however, part of a few gay transmale groups. And noticed a pretty decent percentage of pan/bi trans people in many of the groups I frequent. Might just be a willingness to explore one's sexuality.

10. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Speaking just for myself, I don't know if it's because of the lifelong gender struggles I've had, but gender just doesn't seem to be all that big a deal to me in determining whom I could love. Granted, for casual infatuation, I'm much more likely to be interested in girls. (Feminine beauty ftw.) But I've discovered that when it comes to actually feeling something for the person, whatever genitals they own seems a little beside the point. (Although, despite my preference for feminine looks, gotta confess to a bit of a cock fetish. :lol:slight_smile:

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shit... I prefer females, but frankly I don't care anymore.

12. Just Jess

Here we go. For MtF transitioners, 38% bisexual, 35% attracted to women, and 27% attracted to men. (Star Tribune May 25, 2008 "Myths and Facts about Transgender Issues") .

It is interesting to note that most of the studies from the 90s and earlier had the opposite distribution, like 70% / 20 % / 10 %, men / both / women.

Other studies bear out numbers that are close though. The one from the UK which I can't find was closer to even thirds.

So yeah in reality I think I would not be surprised if there were slightly fewer straight trans people. It is also the case with a lot of us that, as we become more comfortable in our destination sex, we discover an attraction to our birth sex that used to be invisible to us.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 06:55 PM ----------

Yeah this is where I'm at :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If I ever get swept off my feet I will run with it, but it will probably never happen. And I'm cool with that.

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

(!) Maybe some hormone levels are different. But blood is blood and a heart can beat with just as much love whether it be inside a male or female chest.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

Maybe trans people feel more open to exploring their sexuality than other people? I've also heard that during transition your sexuality can change but I don't know if that's true. I'm asexual/possibly gay so it could be. There do seem to be more gay/bi trans people than there are in comparison to cis people

15. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt transition could change your orientation; it's more likely that your guilt/ shame goes away and you're able to allow yourself to be attracted to those you might not have considered before. Confidence has a tremendous affect on people. When I was younger, even respecting a pre-op transwoman as a woman, I would not have considered that we could have a relationship because I was not secure in myself yet. Now, I am confident in who and what I am so, I don't care. If I fall in love, then I'm gonna be a lot more concerned with shopping for a ring than with whether my lady is cis or trans. *cue "if you like it, then you better put a ring on it..." llama dance*

16. Just Jess

Yeah I think shame over liking people of our birth sex going away in our destination sex is for sure a factor. But I think some people that were open minded before still discover some surprises. To some people, I have heard it described as them just suddenly finding out they liked girls or guys.

I don't think it's transition changing their orientation though. I think it's more just having entirely new experiences. It's kind of like... if I know I just hate ice cream, because I have only ever had strawberry. And then one day I try a spoonful of Neapolitan and find out I like chocolate and vanilla. There is a ton about transition, really accepting yourself as a member of your gender, anything like hormones you do to your physical sex. A whole lot that could uncover things that you never knew about.

What I mean is, you knew about guys before if you are MAAB, but you never had a chance to experience a guy as a girl before. I think that could totally change things for a person. It wouldn't really be a change change though.

That is the way I look at it anyway. My own sexuality was a little like that; who I was attracted to did not change, but it was amazing finding a way to be with a woman that actually works for the first time ever.

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That Kinsey 3 on my profile is arbitrary guessing...
    And my answer is that correlation doesn't equal causation.
    We probably won't know until the condition of trans...ness is studied more in-depth.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. I mean, I know before I came out as trans, I was out publically as a lesbian. I knew I was attracted to guys but I'd never really explored that. For me, identifying as a lesbian was safe. Not only was I 'choosing a side', but it gave me that security of possibly adopting a more masculine persona. I mean, I didn't want to be some guy's girlfriend. Felt fucking weird, you know? Even though, when I was living as a woman, I was actually the more feminine partner in my one lesbian relationship.

For me, when I was questioning my gender it was kinda like, oh well, what about my sexuality? How does that check out? And by thinking of myself as a guy and deciding to transition, I realized that I was much more comfortable exploring the idea of being attracted to other men.

19. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean. Even though I'm not trans I hate the idea of being some guys girlfriend.

20. Calix

One of the main thoughts going round my head before I even considered being trans was i was more of 'gay guy' than a 'straight girl'. But now that I've started transitioned the line has blurred a little. I feel physical attraction for guys more than girls.

But honestly, I wouldn't mind dating either. I do think my attraction to girls is growing, but I dunno. I was getting freaked out about it, but now I'm just letting what happens, happen.

I think being trans does make you more open with sexuality since you have a new understanding of how little the parts matter.