1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still need some help figuring out my situation...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ngc, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Ngc

Ngc Guest

So, my little gender line in the little box thingy says 'pretty much male'. It's like that because, I'm not 100% sure. I've identified the things that are keeping me from going ahead and accepting who I am or who I might be. I just need some help deciding if these are relevant, common things that occur with this process or if these are real reasons to question myself and stop it all together.

The first issue, is that guy. You know the guy from this post, "Our only connection has been through email, but the thing is, he doesn't know that I've been questioning and that I'm slowly working towards being more masculine. My main thing is: when he refers to me female, I really don't mind. I don't know if it's because it's only online or what, but one reason that keeps me from going full on trans is this issue that nags at the back of my mind. When anyone else calls me by female pronouns or my birth name it hurts me, but I feel almost nothing with him. " That's the thing there, any input would be lovely.

Next is that sometimes I don't mind being feminine. There are somedays where I wake up and I love my body for all that it is and I love all my curves and I just want to wear dresses and everything! But, then I do wear dresses that day and then I feel less confident in myself, more anxious and just not okay. This happens almost every night now too though. I'll look at myself in the mirror and think 'damn I'm a fine ass woman(!)' and then I'll feel guilty for wanting to be the opposite gender, because maybe I'm okay with myself the way I am now.

Then, my family. I love them, or at least my Dad and grandparents, and I want them to love me. When they first found out that I've dated girls, they lost it. My entire family was so horrible to me for a month, almost driving me to suicide, before I gave up and said I was confused and that I didn't know. To lose them over this, especially if it turns out I'm wrong, hurts more than I can say. To know that I might not be able to see Gabe, to leave him alone in this house, is almost unthinkable.

Finally, money. This is a process that involves money, especially if I come out and lose my house. I have the money to support myself, but I'm underage, so I can't go out and get a place of my own, and I have other obligations for some of this money that I can't back out of now.

I thank anyone for reading and for any help they can offer on any of these issues!(*hug*)

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you perhaps bigender?

3. Calix

I went through a phase similar I think. I spent a long time wondering why I couldn't be happy as I was, because I knew that as a girl, I was 'pretty' - without sounding like I'm big-headed or anything!

But once I started binding/wearing male clothes I knew I was a guy. Seeing my chest flat just felt so goddamn right.

And with the dresses. My dad liked to make side-comments every so often that I wasn't girly enough. Usually this meant that the next day I would wear a dress or skirt and make-up without thinking about it. And when I was alone in my room I told myself I looked fine, I'll be fine. But I'd spend the whole day feeling exposed and wanting to curl up and hide.

4. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely get the dress thing. I'll admit sometimes I like to try on dresses in the mirror because I still look so good as a girl, but when it comes to going anywhere wearing something like that, I get really uncomfortable. It's more of a fantasy thing, I guess, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh yeah, and if your doubts are about how your family treats you or the cost of transition, that makes you no less trans.

As for the female thing with that guy, I'm not sure. Maybe if he doesn't seem to consider your gender a lot it could just be that it doesn't matter as much? Personally, I tend to have a harder time presenting as a girl with people I don't know well because they throw a lot of labels on me. Would you prefer it if he thinks of you as a guy, though?

5. Ngc

Ngc Guest

I took into consideration before that I might be genderfluid or bigender, but it didn't feel right before. Maybe it was because I was almost always on the masculine end of the spectrum. Although, I won't eliminate it as a possibility entirely.

That sounds a lot like what I'm feeling, Calix! Once I started presenting as more masculine two months ago I was so confident and happy! Except, now I'm still a bit unsure and stressed about hiding from my family.

The guy has told me that he doesn't care what gender anyone is, but I'm not 100% sure on his views of transgender people. If anything, he's just a bit ignorant on the subject. He's already told me that he loves me as a person no matter what and I would love for him to refer to me as male, or at least in the neutral way that everyone has been, but I'm still worried about how it's going to end up. I also think it's better to tell him face to face whenever it is we meet again though.

Another question, if no one minds, am I too young to question this? Is this some sort of phase?

(Sorry this is a tad unorganized, I couldn't make my computer do the quotey thing and I deleted everything I wrote before when I tried to make it work. -_-)

6. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he says he isn't sure on his views of transgender people, and he says he loves you as a person no matter what, I'd take that as a good sign. Tell him when/if you feel ready.

You're not too young! You're never too young or too old to question these sorts of things. Heck, I'm 14. It may be more likely to be a phase at this age, but it seems to me like you're on the right track by carefully thinking about your gender identity before jumping to any conclusions. You can't go wrong, then. Questioning things isn't bad, it's good.

7. CarmenLaLes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're mixing your inside emotions and self with your outside influences and its become confusing.
    what i mean by that is.. OF COURSE the body you see is an attractive female!! but do you feel like an attractive female INSIDE - or are you removing yourself from the body your looking at in the mirror.. and objectively and factually stating, that body i see is a nice one..

Just because the body you have is attractive, doesn't mean you need to feel guilty about changing it.

Your family will take time.. its sometimes hard for even the most accepting of people. They aren't in your head.. they only know what you tell them.. they can't feel your feelings. You have to be patient with them and ease them into it..

As for being called a female online.. It could possibly be that its because its not right in your actual face.. its just words.. or maybe on a level you can see why someone would like you as a female.. but that doesn't mean you are one. you know what i mean?

I think you need to sit down somewhere quiet and do some soul searching.. Nobody can tell you who you are.. only you can do that. :slight_smile: