1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now what?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by HermioneGaynger, Apr 27, 2014.

1. So after a lot of thought and soul searching, I am absolutely positive I'm trans. Where do I go from here?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that really depends on you and what you actually want...

Is there anything in particular you feel like doing?

3. I desperately need mens clothes. I don't know how to approach my dad about that though. My clothes are my biggest dysphoria right now, as well as my thighs/hips.

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your dad supportive of you?

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

- Think it over

- Research transition, see if it appeals

- See if you can find a good gender therapist

- I ended up socially transitioning online as one of the first things I did- assuming male profiles really helped set things straight and gave me an outlet where I could be myself.

- Maybe start wearing more gender neutral or male clothing? Even if you're unable to see a gender therapist or do much of the above, I found it really helped me feel less dysphoric and explore my identity to be able to forgo floral prints and all that jazz.

And edit- In regards to your dad. Buddy, I know the feeling. I take it you're not buying your wardrobe? See if you can take on that responsibility. And if you need to, ask for more gender neutral items (for instance, boyfriend jeans are sold with women's but they're made to mimic male style jeans).

And want to emphasize, above all, be easy on yourself. Seriously, man. Do things that make you happy, keep you busy. Figuring out your gender's mad stressful and besides questioning, you're going to be worrying about the possibility of transition and coming out, along with possible dysphoria. So you want to make everything else easier on you.

#5 drwinchester, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  6. He won't even let me date girls, so I doubt he would let me transition. He's pretty homophobic.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

I know I want to get on t, but I have a very small chest and no hips so I don't even think I would need any sort of surgery. The only body dysphoria I have is with my thighs, but I'm in the process of loosing weight so that probably won't be a problem soon. I have a therapist who works with lgbt people so I guess she could help. And yeah the dad thing sucks, but I'll survive hopefully.

#6 HermioneGaynger, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would he let you date anyone, though? I mean, if I had a 15 year old "daughter," I wouldn't let her date. Father's are protective so, you might want to clarify if he's actually homophobic or if he's just being a dad. I'm 26 and my father thinks that I "shouldn't even know the difference between boys and girls yet." :rolle:

If he really isn't going to support you transitioning medically (if you wanted to), then you might still be able to get men's/ gender neutral clothes. Places like H&M and Gap have a lot of androgynous "girl's" clothing.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

If he somehow prevents you from transitioning, then you are gonna have your own agency in 3 years and be able to medically transition on your own. Long wait, I know. And really hate to put you in that kind of position.

But in the meantime, do what you can. Try out a more male/gender neutral wardrobe. If you don't have one, look into purchasing a good binder.