1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An open apology to the non-binary community,

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Clairity95, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Please, please, no one take this in the wrong way, I don't know if I'm going to say everything the way you'd like me to, but I'm trying to learn, and I want to say what I'm thinking. I am a cis-female, but I'm also pansexual and I think gender is kind of pointless, I just don't feel any particular need to stop being female. Also, read to the end before you jump all over me, please.

This was spurred on by two people I know and one thing I posted on here. One is definitely a trans man (let's call him A) and one, well, I'm not really sure (let's call him/her S).

I don't know A all that well, but I actually thought he was biologically male with some feminine features at first, then I wondered if he was a masculine female, although that was all just curiosity, I never really cared. I heard some of my other friends talking about this one person that used to be really horrible to him about his gender identity and it just pissed me off. He does make quite the attractive male, lol. I'm sure the cis community does a lot more of that than I'm made aware of.

I've known S for a long time, and it's only recently that I've gotten any inclination that she/he might not be female. She changed her name on facebook (I'm sorry, it's just easier to say she) to a more masculine name, which knowing her I thought she was just being silly. One day she posted something about gender not being important. I made what I genuinely thought was a harmless comment that was really just a case of using a single word improperly (to avoid pissing anyone else off I will not repeat it) and she reacted so badly to it I started to wonder. And then she referred to herself as a man one day, but again, knowing S, that could very well be a joke, she makes a lot of non-PC jokes. S is in high school and I'm in college, and I'm a bit protective of her, so the last thing I want to do is upset her. I wish there was something I could do to make her feel better, but after that I've just backed off so I don't put my foot in my mouth again. I wish I knew what pronoun to use as well. For now I'll just avoid using them I think. I love S and it breaks my heart that society has made it so she might not feel comfortable talking about what she's going through.

On here, I made a post about something that I innocently thought I'd share because it might help at least SOME trans men cope a little better. I'm not mentioning it because again, I don't want to piss anyone off. Apparently I did something horribly wrong because this particular thing might cause some people to feel dysphoric. That hit me really strongly that cis people have been so awful to non-binary people that a cis person can't even suggest something that might be useful to some people without upsetting someone.

My main point for posting this is that sometimes, the cis people that truly want to be there for you feel as pushed away from you as you do from us. I don't want to sound pretentious, I don't want to sound like I think we have it as bad as you do, I just wanted to tell someone that's non-binary that I'm sorry cis people are generally assholes and that some of us really do care and are trying to say things properly. I just want us all to be people that can talk to each other, and that will never happen if no one reaches out to the other side to try and close the gap.

Much love,
    -Claire

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

...if you're talking about that cup thing.... I'd actually like to admit it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be... And it's a hell of a lot better than having to buy the, um, sheep on a string.

Thanks for your apology and your support. Believe me. Our allies are appreciated. (*hug*)

3. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the hug! I was really expecting to be attacked. I was kind of terrified to post this, but I wanted to say something.
    Yeah I love mine, this is my third or fourth month using it, and I really don't care what your gender identity is, I don't see how you could prefer the "sheep on a string" to this once you get used to it and no one ever knows I'm on my period, heck I keep forgetting, which is EXACTLY why I posted about it.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. I got to the point where I was like "Okay, I can either trudge over to the store, buy those fucking things every other month and deal with the following awkward scenarios that follow when I buy them and keep them at home or I can blow 30 bucks now and never have to do that again." It's really no worse, for me, than having to deal with that. And significantly cleaner...

5. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me they were giving me actual medical issues. They're disgusting and they're embarrassing to buy no matter what. With my experience, I don't understand how the cup would give you worse dysphoria than the sheep (I rather enjoy that term) and it's cleaner and healthier and it's my favorite thing. Also, I swear the cramps are down. Maybe it's in my head, but there seem to be way less. I think if you are biologically female, no matter your gender ID, these things are empowering.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 08:34 PM ----------

Also, I'm really thrilled to know that my post helped someone ^.^

6. Just Jess

Hi there,

You seem like a really genuinely nice person. I feel really bad about stuff I say online sometimes too. I know I'm binary and can't really speak for all the GQ people, but most of the ones I know aren't so quick to attack. Just, we are a diverse community. I mean being any kind of queer cuts across all lines. So with that in mind, I would like to ask two things.

E. Oh geeze I wrote a book at you, sorry :frowning2:

First please cut yourself some slack? I think we can both agree that if anyone is scared to share their own experiences, or feels like they are walking on eggshells, that's not a good place for any of us to be. I know this is a tall order, because some of us trying to make sense of ourselves, we have a lot of pain. From our point of view, we will deal with one person giving us everything they ever thought about gender, and... I don't wanna list it all out, I could be all day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yeah, we will deal with a bunch of stuff since this is an "always on" part of us, and then someone like you, more or less completely innocent, will come up, and it will sound a lot like something else we heard a bunch of times today, and it will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Please understand that is the exception. We're way more reasonable people than that 90% of the time. And when there aren't, just like you, there are probably reasons that you can't see. So yeah, thing 1, please don't walk on eggshells. You're already respectful and polite, you are willing to admit when you are wrong, that is all anyone can ask of anyone.

So the other thing I would like to ask, is to just not take any experience with one trans or GQ person to represent all of us. It is crazy frustrating, trying to figure out what is OK and what isn't, because the truth is every single one of us has our own experiences and our own rules. We have our own straws that break our backs. We all come into all this from the outside. Starting out as cis straight people, just like you, just as confused and overwhelmed. Some of this stuff still doesn't make sense to me and I've been transitioning for a while! There are years of politics and history that shaped everything about being trans. And like 90% of the people talking don't have the time or inclination to learn it. They shouldn't really be expected to. I mean gender studies and politics are college courses! People get degrees learning about this stuff.

So you are right. People on both sides of the aisle need to be more patient, and reach across, and be on the same side. I try really hard to do that, and don't always. I would really like to ask you to continue doing the same thing. Even if whoever you are talking to is not. Especially then, since they'll learn they don't have to fight fire with fire that way.

As far as what 'yall are talking about, in some ways the fact that I won't ever have one of those kind of disappoints me. I mean... it is kind of the silver lining coming from my direction that I don't have to put up with it, I have donated blood before and had really really bad cramps and can kind of extrapolate in my mind, but other things about it like the natural hormonal cycle vs my basically treating myself like I'm going through menopause early... and I guess some of it is how pre-teen girls must feel before they get that little rite of passage. But it definitely doesn't bother me any more. And it is definitely something you should feel comfortable talking about in front of trans people.

And if I'm right about what it was, and someone coming from your starting point just did not want to deal with a painful reminder right then, really just please try to be patient with people when stuff like this happens. I think you will find that if someone hears something like that and lashes out, and you reply with "sorry, just wanted to put some info out there", the other person will 9 times out of 10 back off. It's way hard to keep going with someone that isn't fighting back.

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

The cup thread was less to do with dysphoria and more to do with inaccuracy of information. But as Just Jess has stated cut yourself some slack. Sides a bunch of people did learn about cups, and heck you didn't hurt anyone by mentioning it. If the thread was a room of 10 people 5 were helped and 5 just stayed where they were. So look at it that way. Also, if your friends in real life don't get the whole "i need time to learn pronouns" you need to think about how good of friends they are.

8. Sarcastic Luck

This so much. It was the misinformation and blatant scaremongering that peeved me off.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think just suggesting the menstrual cups was a bad thing. But I understand where some of the dysphoric comments were coming from. Hell, I'm a cis-woman and it would even make ME feel that way (not for the same reasons obviously) because I despise having anything up there. I don't have periods anymore now that I'm on depo, but I always thought the pads were the most comfortable (even emotionally) because they were hard to notice and I didn't really "feel" anything up there.

I don't think suggesting it was the offensive thing, but the vibe that they came off as superior choices to tampons or pads maybe? I can't speak for any trans guys though.

10. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The book was fine, it made me feel a little better, it really did.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

I wasn't trying to be an expert all I wanted to do was say hey this thing exists but I tried to answer questions. I'm a 19 year old kid, do you REALLY expect me to know all of the answers? I haven't tried pronouns with S yet. If he/she is wanting to transition, it's the beginning, I don't want to say something else wrong for now.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 09:59 PM ----------

I was answering things the best I could. Again, I'm a kid that found a cool thing, not an expert in literally anything. Also I was getting really annoyed and my feelings were getting hurt and I was trying. Idk why my just saying hey this exists wasn't good enough.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 10:04 PM ----------

The fact that I hate feeling the "sheep on a string" is why the cups are better, after the first three tries I stopped feeling it at all. At the time I had had several actual health problems with disposables and it was getting expensive and I was excited.

#10 Clairity95, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, I mean... Sure. But might help to ask why it may have, just maybe came across as offensive? I mean, I stopped following thread after a while so I don't really know what went on. But I dunno. I mean, you didn't intend to offend anyone but never hurts to learn, you know?

12. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd be a lot more open to that now. Then I just wanted the thread to die and regretted it some.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

I wasn't exactly prepared for all the questions and arguments.

13. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I have no idea what you said, but you seem to be a genuinely nice and caring person! And if it was as bad as you've made it out to be, don't worry about it, people mess up. :slight_smile:

Also, from the tone of the thread, doesn't seem like any kind of personal attack, which is good. :slight_smile:

Also, with regards to S, try just being honest with them. Tell them you don't know, but you're there for them if they need you, they might just open up to you. :slight_smile:

14. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I read into things too much sometimes. I tend to feel really really awful if I feel like I've offended anyone unintentionally. It also came across like my suggestion was making people feel dysphoric which was a new concept to me and not something I knew I needed to avoid doing.

Thanks for the kind words!