1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to a friend about questionning

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mab2112, Apr 30, 2014.

1. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel like I want to talk to a close friend in real life about me questionning my gender identity, mainly because she knows me well and I hope to be able to figure things out easier if I have a friend to talk to about it. But at the same time, if I end up being wrong or having just a phase or something, I'm scared of having "came out" for nothing.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to talk to a close friend in real life about me questionning my gender identity

Then you say

I'm scared of having "came out" for nothing.

Two things to consider.

1. You never came out at any point, you just said you were questioning
    2. You want to tell her so you can make sure it is or isn't a phase

Think about it this way. Is being trans something people should be ashamed of?

I hope your answer to that question was no. So let me ask you this. If you tell your friend that you think you MIGHT be trans and wanted someone to talk to about it, what do you have to feel bad about?

If it turns out it's a phase, all you've done is asked a friend to help you through a difficult and confusing time, there is nothing to feel bad about there! It's not like you are sitting here telling ever person you know that you are DEFINITELY trans and they should act accordingly, your just asking for support :slight_smile:

3. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm just confused.