1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoric over full name but not other labels

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Fallingdown7, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I consider myself to be genderqueer and I'm recently trying to be out about that fact, but I do know It's hard for others to understand.

My full first name is obviously female, but when you shorten it, it becomes very unisex. I've always used the shortened version of my name my whole life and hated being called my full name.

Recently, when I'm called by my full name I feel dysphoric feelings of being a "woman" when I don't feel like one (Even though I don't feel like a man either).

But for some reason female pronouns don't bother me, since I guess I feel used to them (I do prefer 'They' though).

I also used to call myself a lesbian instead of gynesexual because I guess it felt easier and I understood/felt like I was a part of lesbian culture. I guess I mainly just say "attracted to women" now, but being called a lesbian doesn't bother me either.

So I am wondering...for genderqueer and binary trans people, is it normal at all to feel dysphoric over some things and not toward others that indicate your birth sex?

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

for genderqueer and binary trans people, is it normal at all to feel dysphoric over some things and not toward others that indicate your birth sex?

It's weird in my opinion...

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People feel dysphoric over different things. So, I think that it is normal. I know that when I identified as non-binary, female pronouns did not bother me much. It was not until later on when I began to be more bothered about pronouns. So, even though you may not feel that now, you could be bothered by female pronouns later.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

That's probably true. I feel like I was originally bothered by female pronouns, but since people refused to quite using them I just "gave up" and got used to it. I'd still prefer "they" but it seems like an impossible thing to ask at the moment.

And I think part of the reason is that I'm still closeted on gender identity.