1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by elishe248, Apr 30, 2014.

1. elishe248

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I just got on this site today. Hi guys!

In January, I started experiencing severe dysphoria, particularly around my breasts, height, and voice. (I'm afab). I don't feel like a girl anymore. But I've never had a problem with my gender assignment before this and every trans* person I know starting experiencing gender discomfort when they were really little or as they started puberty. (I'm almost 16). Am I just weird? Should I take this seriously? Has anyone else here had dysphoria start suddenly like this?

2. WillowRose

You're not the only one who hasn't "known since they were 3 years old". I was 30 before the idea that I might be a transwoman first occurred to me, and it took another 20 years before I decided to take the possibility seriously. Even now, my dysphoria is more social than anything else, but it's real.

Part of the reason it took me so long was that my level of self-acceptance was so low that I felt like I couldn't (or shouldn't) trust what my body and my spirit were telling me.

I'd say, trust yourself, take yourself seriously, and don't be concerned about whether or not your experience fits into anybody else's "standard narrative."

3. Yosia

I wasnt one of the ones who knows when they were 2 either~ I actually used to be happy as a boy but im really not anymore~ although I have had a thought I would prefer to be a girl for like ever but it has only got serious in like 2014

take yourself seriously but don't jump into anything~ if you are not entirely sure, I still haven't done anything about myself >_<

hope you find yourself!! ♡ ^.^

4. Calix

I didn't realise until 3/2 years ago when I was 18. And I spent a long time fighting it because I wasn't sure if I was right or just searching for an extreme answer to my depression. The idea that you have to know since you were a kid/puberty is silly. You've said you're having severe dysphoria, do you feel you would definitely be happier if you lived/were referred to as a guy?

5. PossibleDesires

Out Status:
    All but family
    I was always a tomboy and played with the boys but I was a feminine child at the same time, and I only realised that something wasn't ''right'' when I was 14, but I just brushed the thought away until I was 15 and that's when I met people like me and dated an MtF. That's when I came out as Genderfluid but that didn't make me one bit happy and when I came out to everyone finally a year ago or so. So yeah, it took me some time and thinking before I knew who I was and now I am the happiest ever!

Although I still get dysphoria, but doesn't everyone? It will get better, trust me. :slight_smile:

6. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's so funny that you started this thread! I've never really had much dysphoria- until today, when it hit me like *BAM*. I'll admit it almost feels like I'm making it up since I didn't have it before, but I'll tell you this: if you feel like something's wrong, then something's wrong.

I also haven't known I was trans my whole life, and it's quite common, actually. Knowing since you're a young child is just a media stereotype.

7. Techno Kid

Some folks don't know they are Trans* until their 20s or later even! :slight_smile:

8. Kat 5

I started puberty a long time ago. Dysphoric starting 6 months ago.

9. elishe248

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys! You people rock. Hey, I guess I'm not a freak.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I knew around the time of puberty, but most dysphoria is unconscious. I mean, most people don't even know about the trans truths; do you honestly expect them to realize they have sex dysphoria? That's a problem in the trans community, I'd say.

11. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am only questionning it now too.. but my parents never really gave me generd clothes/ toys as I was small. But since i started to grow breasts i felt super self consious about them, never liked wearing typically female clothes 7 heels/ makeup... I always hated my chest. I guess It was dysphoria without me knowing about it... idk... I am 17.

12. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    ^ That.

13. PossibleDesires

Out Status:
    All but family
    Exactly! As children you don't really think and you just do whatever makes you happy but things like media and such just put this thing in our brains that makes people think in order to be something, you need to know since a young age. It's not true, and I love it that someone thinks the same as I do! :grin: